Ozarks Ozarks Chapter

Missouri title ?'s

Old 02-22-2017, 06:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Missouri title ?'s

Question for the folks in Mo. I put this up here because I could single out the people from Mo.

I have a 85 4 runner with no title (parts truck), my plans are to take the 86xtra cab with title and put on the 4runner frame. has any one ever had problem getting registered in Mo when doing a frame swap. The title for the 86 was never put in the guys name I bought it from and Im afraid that when I go to register it I will have to have Highway patrol inspection. Would they catch the frame swap? Would I need a bill of sale from the guy I bought the 4 runner from?

Sorry guys for all the ?'s but I don't want to put all this work into it and not be able to daily drive it.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:40 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I did a frame swap. I bought the frame from a salvage yard and installed my truck on to it. The salvage yard said it would be okay to do. I then confirmed with the Highway Patrol and showed the officer what I had done. He said everything I had done was perfectly legal. You do need to make sure that the frame is from a truck that is not stolen. One single part from a stolen truck will get it impounded.

Do you know the absolute history of your parts truck and the previous owners were? For example if I bought the frame from you and you had the title, I would use it.

As far as the title on your 86, there is a $200 max fine for late registration. I would ask the owner to have it titled in his name or go to the DMV with him and have him to put the title in my name and pay the fine to get it in my name. The fine goes from the date of the sale on the title. If there is no date on the title then you can always use a recent date. It cost $25 to get a title in your name if the previous owner has not dated the title or 30 from the date of sale. It is a $25 fine per month up to 10 months maximum.

Highway Patrol inspections apply to trucks that have been totaled by an insurance company. If totaled it will need to be inspected by the Highway Patrol for safety and all parts must be accounted for when completed. Since it was not totaled, you will not need to get it inspected by the Patrol. You will only have to deal with State safety inspections from your local shop where they just check ball joints, lights, horn..

The title you need to be concerned with it the title on the cab. That is the VIN that the the truck is going to be registered to.

Last edited by Terrys87; 02-23-2017 at 03:42 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:52 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Now that Terry has given the specific information you asked about, and I was expecting...

in colorado you are required to have a "vin inspection" done when transfering title from out of state, these can be done by the county clerk among others. The last one we did was done by the clerk and she only visibly verified the lamps were working, all other information was q&a "what is the mileage?" "What is the vin?" Bing bang boom here is your colorado title and registration..

states with safety inspections will be more indepth, but they are still not all knowing databases in most cases.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:15 PM

Thanks Terry I figured you would know the answer to that...LOL CO94PU Missouri is about as slack. The Title for the cab is legit but not dated or ever signed over into the current owner.....But major change of events on this build I bought my blue 82 back (very exited about getting it back) I will post more on my build page. I have no info on the 4 runner a missionary training camp had it stuck out back and I picked it up cheap.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
As long as is not listed stolen you will be okay. I will check out your build when I get to work in a while.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:25 PM

not posted any thing yet the 82 will be delivered this weekend and I can get to work on it!

Search this Thread