Ozarks Ozarks Chapter

Manual Shifting Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Shifting Questions

So I have a 97 Manual 4Runner and I've been trying to use it to save gas a lot. So here's my first question. Is it ok to shift directly from 3rd to 5th? I've found that often times I don't need the extra power of 4th and I know lower rpms will save the gas. Also, does it save gas more to let off the gas with the gears still engaged or with the clutch fully pressed in? I've read that leaving it in gear will make the weight of the vehicle pull the engine, and therefore shutting off the fuel injectors. One last thing. Since about June I've been taking my gas mileage. My top MPG is 21.74, lowest MPG is 14.72, and average is 17.49. Do those numbers seem good or what it should be getting?
Old 09-03-2014, 05:17 AM

Yes it's fine to skip shifts. As far as doing that to save gas not to sure. Your winding the motor up in 3rd or either lugging it in 5th. Use the gears to keep the engine in its power band where it's most efficient. That's why auto makers now have more transmission gears than before.
Those numbers are pretty good for a 4runner, which engine though? 2wd or 4wd?
Old 09-03-2014, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by JasonYota
Yes it's fine to skip shifts. As far as doing that to save gas not to sure. Your winding the motor up in 3rd or either lugging it in 5th. Use the gears to keep the engine in its power band where it's most efficient. That's why auto makers now have more transmission gears than before.
SR5 4X4 3.4 liter. 22 was strictly highway.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:33 AM

Oh and when I go from 3rd to 5th my rpms are at around 2k to 2.5k and go down to about 1.2k or so going 30 MPH.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by michael33rueckert
Oh and when I go from 3rd to 5th my rpms are at around 2k to 2.5k and go down to about 1.2k or so going 30 MPH.
That would be lugging the engine, especially on a higher revving V6.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:40 AM

That would be lugging the engine, especially on a higher revving V6.
So what's bad about that? Will I get even better gas mileage if I use 4th gear? Or is that bad on the engine because of too much load?
Old 09-03-2014, 07:55 AM

So what's bad about that? Will I get even better gas mileage if I use 4th gear? Or is that bad on the engine because of too much load?
Lugging is bad. Your putting the engine below its power band.
I like the bicycle example for this.
Your riding a mountain bike, in a high gear it's hard to peddle and the peddles are turning slowly, yet if your in too low of a gear it's easy to peddle but your legs are going too fast. You need to be in the "sweet spot" that's in the middle.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:26 AM

Lugging is bad. Your putting the engine below its power band.
I like the bicycle example for this.
Your riding a mountain bike, in a high gear it's hard to peddle and the peddles are turning slowly, yet if your in too low of a gear it's easy to peddle but your legs are going too fast. You need to be in the "sweet spot" that's in the middle.
So is it worse gas mileage or bad on the engine to lug it?
Old 09-03-2014, 08:31 AM

So is it worse gas mileage or bad on the engine to lug it?
Both.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:30 AM

Both.
Wow. That seems pretty crazy considering my gas mileage.. So when I'm driving around in town I should stay in 4th gear? What should my rpms stay at?
Old 09-03-2014, 10:44 AM

In between lugging and over revving. Trial and error with each vehicle.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:59 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Any time that the engine revs are so low and the power requirement is so great that the engine does'nt easily accelerate smoothly and quickly when the engine is given more than a little throttle; the engine is being 'lugged'.
Lugging an engine on a regular basis will shorten its life.
1200 revs @ 30mph sounds a bit slow, but might be OK if the road is level or downhill and no acceleration is required. Downshift would likely be necessary for substantial acceleration to occur.
Your engine will probably do better when gears are selected that permit it to run @ 2500 to 3500RPMs' with light throttle applied.
I often skip from second to 4th gear on both my 22Re and my 3.slo when conditions permit.
You should probably almost never use 5th gear in any city driving conditions or under 45-50MPH.

Last edited by millball; 09-03-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by millball
Any time that the engine revs are so low and the power requirement is so great that the engine does'nt easily accelerate smoothly and quickly when the engine is given more than a little throttle; the engine is being 'lugged'.
Lugging an engine on a regular basis will shorten its life.
1200 revs @ 30mph sounds a bit slow, but might be OK if the road is level or downhill and no acceleration is required. Downshift would likely be necessary for substantial acceleration to occur.
Your engine will probably do better when gears are selected that permit it to run @ 2500 to 3500RPMs' with light throttle applied.
I often skip from second to 4th gear on both my 22Re and my 3.slo when conditions permit.
You should probably almost never use 5th gear in any city driving conditions or under 45-50MPH.
I had no idea they should be that high. It seems so loud at around 3000 rpms. Hey here's another thing I've wondered about. My 4Runner has cruise control and if I'm using it on interstates going 70 or 75 mph every once in a while it'll floor it (if I put my foot on the pedal I can feel how far it's in) going up hills. Is this ok or should I take cruise control off and shift into 4th?
Old 09-03-2014, 09:10 PM

At 70- 75 MPH its probably fine to leave the cruise on and stay in 5th on most hills.
I would imagine the engine is turning near 3000RPM at those speeds in 5th gear.
The cruise will usually disengage itself if it cannot maintain close to the selected speed up hill.
If it is plain that the cruise has got the throttle near maxed, and the grade is long, it might well be better to disengage it and use 4th gear at a slightly lower speed until the steep grade is passed.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:11 AM

At 70- 75 MPH its probably fine to leave the cruise on and stay in 5th on most hills.
I would imagine the engine is turning near 3000RPM at those speeds in 5th gear.
The cruise will usually disengage itself if it cannot maintain close to the selected speed up hill.
If it is plain that the cruise has got the throttle near maxed, and the grade is long, it might well be better to disengage it and use 4th gear at a slightly lower speed until the steep grade is passed.
Ok after testing this I got 15.9 MPG city. I normally get 17.5. So I'm not saying you're wrong necessarily but in this instance it is better to coast in neutral when possible and stay in the highest gears. But if that is damaging my engine I won't do it. I don't ever have to give it a lot of gas putting a lot of load on the engine. If I would have to floor it to barely make it up a hill I down shift.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:45 AM

Coasting in neutral won't hurt your vehicle, but last time I looked, its against the law in most states to do so.
One mileage test comparison does not make for accurate measurement, even if the route and load conditions are the same.
Taking your measurements at face value though, at 17.5 mpg, in 100,000 miles traveled, you would save about 575 gallons of fuel over the lower MPG rate of 15.9. I guess that this might be significant to many people.
If you drive 20,000 miles a year, the higher mileage of 17.5 would save about $400 in fuel costs with fuel @ $3.50.
Lugging engines will eventually cost you too, in shortened component life and repairs, not to mention the road rage that might be inspired in other drivers by those who drive obsessively, thinking about saving a few bucks on fuel.
Might be safer to buy a Prius.
Our fighting men and women are sacrificing their youth, health, and lives to keep this petroleum coming to us from around the world.
The least we can do is burn it.

Last edited by millball; 09-06-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:21 PM

Coasting in neutral won't hurt your vehicle, but last time I looked, its against the law in most states to do so.
One mileage test comparison does not make for accurate measurement, even if the route and load conditions are the same.
Taking your measurements at face value though, at 17.5 mpg, in 100,000 miles traveled, you would save about 575 gallons of fuel over the lower MPG rate of 15.9. I guess that this might be significant to many people.
If you drive 20,000 miles a year, the higher mileage of 17.5 would save about $400 in fuel costs with fuel @ $3.50.
Lugging engines will eventually cost you too, in shortened component life and repairs, not to mention the road rage that might be inspired in other drivers by those who drive obsessively, thinking about saving a few bucks on fuel.
Might be safer to buy a Prius.
Our fighting men and women are sacrificing their youth, health, and lives to keep this petroleum coming to us from around the world.
The least we can do is burn it.
Is it illegal with the clutch in but to still have it in gear? That's what I've been doing. Not literally shifting out of the gears into neutral. Yeah I'd just like to get the very best gas mileage possible to save money and plus it's pretty awesome to brag that my 4Runner, which is rated at 17 MPG, gets 22 MPG. ;D