Ozarks Ozarks Chapter

Cory's New 4Runner (2nd time)

Old 02-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cory's New 4Runner (2nd time)

Ok, so this one I'm keeping, I swear!

1998 4Runner Limited. Black with Tan Leather interior. Power windows, power locks, power mirrors, power antenna, power seats, power sunroof. All work, except the slide part of the sunroof (it tilts, but doesnt slide... havent looked deep into it yet, but im thinkin its not goina be a biggie). Also has factory fog lights, and the rear e-locker. 4WD works great, so does the locker. Truck is in really good shape except for normal wear and tear in the cargo area and some minor leather cracks in the back seat (nothing horrible at all!). It also looks like someone dinged the front passenger fender flare on something, scuffing it up. Its got 165K on it, and t-belt was done at 122K. I think i got a decent deal on it too! Some pics (more to come!)

Old 02-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
looks good plus a locker i like mine now that its rewired
Old 02-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's awsome are you going to do any mods? Or just leaving it for DD? Very nice I love my 98.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

I'm goina leave this one as a stocker.... just a DD!
Old 02-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elton
looks good plus a locker i like mine now that its rewired
Rewired? Like rewired around having to be in L4, or rewired to work again?
Old 02-02-2007, 09:09 PM

Bastard won't even let me take it wheeling this weekend. I got a set of Swampers that'll bolt up... and I'm pretty sure they'll clearance themselves.

Are you sure those foglights are factory? They don't look it.... but I'm too lazy to find a brochure to check.

I can picture you sporting that big GOLD "T" around your neck No matter the amount of gold bling, a Runner is 100x better than a 240SX, so good job :bigclap:
Old 02-02-2007, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by colsoncj
Rewired? Like rewired around having to be in L4, or rewired to work again?
Rewiring to work out of 4-lo is a given... but I've heard of people rewiring them to work faster as they're kind of slow from the factory. Not sure of the long term consequences to the electric motor or how expensive the motor is to replace.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

yes i rewired it so you dont have to be in 4lo its easy to do
Old 02-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

Are you sure those foglights are factory? They don't look it.... but I'm too lazy to find a brochure to check.
They sure are although I don't think they were offered in the brochure as a factory installed item. They were a Toyota Motor Corp. approved Dealer installed item provided by Hella .

Like the Valor exhaust tips and the "Toyota" weather tech floor liners.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SLC97SR5
They sure are although I don't think they were offered in the brochure as a factory installed item. They were a Toyota Motor Corp. approved Dealer installed item provided by Hella .
2nd that, but they only come on when the lights are on.... may need to tinker with that, and they arent real bright.... I haven't looked, but does anyone know if I can safely swap a larger wattage bulb in, and what the PN would be?
Old 02-03-2007, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

yes i rewired it so you dont have to be in 4lo its easy to do
Oh do tell how....
Old 02-03-2007, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cargun
Rewiring to work out of 4-lo is a given... but I've heard of people rewiring them to work faster as they're kind of slow from the factory. Not sure of the long term consequences to the electric motor or how expensive the motor is to replace.
Mine engages pretty quickly... nothing that would irratate me.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:27 AM

Mine engages pretty quickly... nothing that would irratate me.
Not like you're planning on using it anytime soon

Ah, dealer/port on the foglights, now that makes sense. That's not factory. Do they turn off when you turn your brights on? All the foglights wired to the headlights I've see do, which is stupid because supplying some close in light to cover the spots missed by high beams is the only useful thing I've ever seen foglights do. Well aimed fogs + high beams are great for hauling ass offroad.

It's kind of a sad commentary on new vehicles... instead of using for the initial couple days of ownership to change fluids, wash/wax, grease stuff, plugs/wires, etc..... you have to spend a couple days rewiring new vehicles to get them to operate like they should. Oh wait.... that sounds kind of like OLD vehicles too.

What gears does it have (I need to know to see if your e-locker will work in one of my vehicles )? I assume auto tranny cause I can't see any shifter boot in the picture.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Oh do tell how....
http://www.hboss.net/4runner/locker_safety.htm ground the wire going to the plug
Old 02-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Auto tranny, no idea on gears.

Actually I spent today detailing the interior, putting wiper blades on it, and driving it. (but now I gotta go put a starter on it, cause it only works 60% of the time... not good for a DD)

Last edited by colsoncj; 02-03-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

http://www.hboss.net/4runner/locker_safety.htm ground the wire going to the plug
Awesome
Old 02-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

dont quote me on this but i think you have 4:30 gears
Old 02-03-2007, 05:41 PM

Smile

Cory, two things concerning starters and fog lights. Don't put a starter on it! Rebuild your present one for pennies! There is a recent post from some guy that pulled his out a replaced the contacts and maybe the plunger, all for only $1.87, I think. Mine was giving me trouble so I pulled mine out last week and, after reading that, went to a starter/alternator rebuild shop and the guy GAVE me the new contacts! I asked how long I could expect the starter to last, telling him it now had over 180,000 on it, and he said I should get another 100,000 out of it! He said it's one of the best starters made and the only thing that ever goes out is the contacts, and that the alternators were the best, too. That was good to hear.

Fog lights: There is a write-up on 4X4Wire about rewiring the stock fogs so that they come on whether the lights are on or not and so that they stay on when you flip on the brights. It may be for Tundras, but it works for 4Runners, too. You'll just have to search for it. I did it years ago and it works great! I have the same stock Hella fogs on my '97. The only down side is that I've used the fogs so much since then that they just plain wore out after a few years after doing the mod. I just found the exact Hella replacement set on ebay last week for $26 total, though! I thought I was gonna have to spend around $60 each on a site that sells nothing but driving lights. Nice surprise.

Enjoy that ride! Mine has been THE most reliable vehicle I've ever had, bar none! And I have owned a lot of vehicles! This starter problem is the first for the engine, period. And the contacts were really only a little dirty, but I'm replacing them anyway to be safe. My steering rack went at 150k, but part of that was due to my lift and tires, so I was told. If it was due to have the suspension recall and hasn't, have that done for sure. It may already have it, as it doesn't look like it's sagging any.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info... Starter problem is all taken care of now! Next thing is what to do about the missing RS3000 remote... toyota wants 160ish plus 38 to program it... surely there is a cheaper way.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:12 PM

dont quote me on this but i think you have 4:30 gears
Damn.... I don't run those in anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cory's New 4Runner (2nd time)