4ROC This forum is for the discussion of a world wide 4Runner Club with separate chapters for each state

status???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
status???

I know it's been talked about lately... is the club going anywhere?
Old 05-23-2002, 06:14 AM

What do we need to do to join? It would be cool to go out of town and see somebody driving around and say "Hey, that dude is on the forum".
Old 05-23-2002, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

I'm so glad you asked!

Step 1: We need to decide on an association name. The domain name will be 4RUNNER.ORG.
Step 2: We need to agree on a charter. I will be posting a draft to this forum.
Step 3: We need people to "sign up" and a list of member can be created.
Step 4: Members should feel free to donate talent and time to ensure a quality outcome.
Step 4.5: Decide on leadership, positions and areas of responsibility.
Step 5: Site design needs to be solidified.
Step 6: Go live and spread the word.
Step 7: Members need to drive the creation of state chapters and perform as many steps above as feasible.

Some things still up in the air:
1) Membership cards - cost and design
2) Mass mailing list outside of this forum (though all communications will pass through this forum too)
3) Negotiations for discounts and sponsorships

As you have probably guessed, there are many “sub” steps that are associated with each step above and there are many steps which have not yet been addressed or thought of. There are also some difficult questions, such as; how will different chapters handle the difference between off-roaders and street rigs? How does that affect outings? You get my drift.

It is my hope that these and many more questions can be addressed and resolved right here in this forum. So please reply to this thread or start new threads regarding specific areas of discussion. It is only an active, honest and goal driven body of people that can make this happen. We know the goal, but we each have a different perspective on it.

I really want to see this happen and I will be driving the process until/unless someone better wants to take over.

Thanks!

Gene Hobbs
Old 05-23-2002, 07:04 AM

"World Wide Wheelers"

"4Runner Owners Club" or 4R.O.C.

"Legend 4Runners"

"Coast-2-Coast 4Runners"

I've never given much thought to club names, but the membership card and the possibility of discounts and sponsorships sounds really cool. It would be sweet to have the club sponsored by Downey or Rancho or some other big company. We can see if Performance Products can run something in one of their catalogs and possibly do member discounts. Just ideas, but it could work. I wouldn't mind doing whatever i could from way over here (start a Florida Chapter?)
Old 05-23-2002, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Will you be accepting members from overseas?

Luke
Old 05-23-2002, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 95FourRunner
"World Wide Wheelers"

It would be sweet to have the club sponsored by Downey or Rancho or some other big company. We can see if Performance Products can run something in one of their catalogs and possibly do member discounts. Just ideas, but it could work. I wouldn't mind doing whatever i could from way over here (start a Florida Chapter?)
If we pick that first name, I can qualify...hehe ! Actually that idea of vendor supports is good, however, I hope that it won't turn bias, in that on another board, you have to recommend the vendor's products and can't say anything derogatory or negative about the company. (that means for all you folks that hate NWORA, or whatever the company name is that has such poor customer service but great headers, you have to keep your opinions to yourself). But I am down for whatever, count me in!
Old 05-23-2002, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

Those are some very good questions.

Again, I have to refer back to TTORA for lack of a better example. They certainly let me hang with them even though I drive a 4Runner. I think the national TTORA organization requires ownership of a Tacoma, but the local Washington Chapter does not. They are into off-roading and so pretty much anyone that enjoys their sport and buys into their charter can join.

I think that the 4Runner charter could accommodate the acceptance of anyone one who joins regardless of location and vehicle. Sure, the organization is a 4Runner association, but we wouldn't have to be snobs about it.

The only time I would have a problem with it would be in a case similar to what we have in American society today. There are people that have migrated to America and now expect America to change in order to accommodate their "culture" rather that joining and assimilating into American culture. If someone joined that owned a Jeep, for example, I would not want that person to have the power to start whining about the use of the title - 4Runner. As long as it is clear from the beginning, each person should know what they are getting/buying into.

Then again, we could stipulate that any 4Runner owner could join the national organization but allow the local chapters to specify their membership requirements.

Would you agree?
Old 05-23-2002, 04:46 PM

That sounds good. I like the idea of 4runners nationally, but local chapters can decied on rules for their rigs. I think that each chapter can have both street and non-street events. Like, of course we would do trail rides locally, and then on or two big ones once a year. But i think that for the street bound runners, we can have crusies like they have across the pond. Nothing illegal like over there, but like big get- togthers where everyone can check out each-others rigs. Also, we could do local car shows, where everyone could bring their rig, all clean and pretty to show it off to all the other members. then they could vote on the most desirable rig, most clean, etc. the shows could also have sound-off competitions, because i know there are a lot of 4runner owners on the forums that have compition-ready systems. So that way, everyone one can have tons of fun, off-road or on-road. BTW, i am more than willing to do anything you want down south, like check out ttora chapters down here and anyhting else you would need.
Old 05-23-2002, 07:30 PM
Banned

I want to ring in with 2 cents worth of comments on the whole club issue.

I recently met several officers of the local chapter of the TLCA called Colorado Land Cruisers. I talked to the VP and Treasurer of the club and asked what they did and what members drove. Suprisingly they answered that the club was about 33% Land Cruisers, 33% Minis, and 33% 4Runners, with ONE VOTING, DUES PAYING MEMBER THAT DRIVES A FORD RANGER. Repeat: a TLCA member that drives a Ranger. I'm really thinking that this particular chapter is kind of a joke. The only reason I would join is to get the 10% discount on parts at the stealer but the dues I pay to get that discount offset the discount, so, I see no real reason to join.

Generally the best 4x4 clubs are local in nature. Members are able to share knoledge of local trails, get discounts at a local dealer, and help mod other members rigs with a short drive across town. If a club has to pay dues to a National or International group of clubs, there is less money to spend on local events, stickers, banners and stuff like that.

I also want to ring in on the title of any international club that may be forming. Putting "4Runner" in the title is exclusive to truck owners and LC owners that are likely to want to join and have knoledge to offer. If TLCA admits owners of trucks and 4Runners I see no need to form another large scale group of clubs to, in a since, compete with TLCA. There would be redundancy for members in both associations, and a dilema for incoming members as to which to join.

I guess my point is that I feel we can expand and reform TLCA from within to include other Toy 4x4s and have it be the unifying Assotiation for Toy 4X4 owners on a National or International scale, rather than trying to draw members away by making more, competing, international and national clubs.

I hope my rant makes since to somone out there, thanks for reading,
Old 05-23-2002, 07:42 PM

id love to join! i really want to be a part of an association and get more involved with wheelin'.
Old 05-23-2002, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jx94148
I hope my rant makes since to somone out there, thanks for reading,
It's these types of "rants" that help people understand what it is that they are getting into. I appreciate the information.

There are a couple of points I would like to address - not to discount anything you have said, again I appreciate your comments.

From their own words, TLCA is a 4WD association with the main focus being on off-road. Here, we are talking about all owners of the vehicle - regardless of lift or drop. Perhaps ownership of a 4Runner could be a prerequisite. I am not one to exclude people of like passions because of a differing taste in vehicles, but some groups need that sense of, well, common association. It is, by its very nature, the heart of an “association.”

When I bought a 4Runner, I did think of looking up a Toyota Land Cruiser Association. It's just not a natural leap. When I was looking for a group to wheel with, I didn’t think of TTORA. I searched for 4Runner groups, forums and web sites. Anything less was treated with due interest, in the name of learning, but not as an online home.

I hadn’t heard of TLCA until recently. Sorry, I hadn't. If there are a lot of 4Runner owners on this board that are associated with this group, please e-mail me with your impressions. I would be interested in learning: 4runner@genehobbs.com.

In my eyes, there would have to be a lot to offer before I forked over any coin to any group. I feel that an organization will be able to gather funds only after demonstrating a solid benefit to its members. I should be quick to recognize that “benefit” is in the eye of the beholder. Just having a group of consistent, kind, active, experienced group of owners would be enough to get me to support the cause. It’s one of the reasons I envy TTORA. It’s the people with the common passion, not the discounts (though they don’t hurt!)

Just as in sports, team competition and cross pollination make the sport in general more exciting and fresh. I belong to several professional associations and they augment each other - not detract. I would NEVER urge someone to leave one group for another. We're all adults - each individual should do whatever they feel like doing. If you are a member of TLCA it must be for a reason. I, however, am not a member and I don’t think I will be anytime soon. Nothing against TLCA, hell I don’t even know them, but I want a 4Runner association. I have been longing for an active 4Runner association – it’s just that simple. BTW: If you know of one of those, please let me know. It could possibly save me a lot of time! <grin>

Again, let me say that I appreciate your words as they were exactly the kind of things I need to hear. Debate is the path to understanding. My words are not meant to belittle or refute yours. They are meant to foster understanding.

Who knows, this may indeed prove to be a futile effort, but to me, it’s worth a try. If it’s not a cause you feel that you can stand behind, no problem. I would hope that you would feel free to continue to offer insight, advice and experience whenever you see us taking a wrong turn. I would like to hear about the best and worst practices of any similar association so that we can learn from the success and failure of those that have gone before us. Not doing so would be foolish.

Thanks for reading MY rant! Heh-heh.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by Gene
I'm so glad you asked!

Step 1: We need to decide on an association name. The domain name will be 4RUNNER.ORG.
I'm kinda digging:

"4Runners Unlimited"
or
"Unlimited 4Runners"

As in:
Not limited to just 4Runners.
or
The oposite of a Limited 4Runner (which I never unerstood anyway" Why would use call a producted Limited and then give it all the options?
or
As in the go anywhere vehicle.
or
Endless possibilities of Mods....
Old 05-24-2002, 06:40 AM
Banned

I think what I said about local 4x4 clubs applies to all auto clubs in general. Members need to interact personally to make it worth anything. Especially when it comes to helping each other with mods, which is a main benefit of joining a club. The only benefits I see from forming a national club are getting discounts on parts when far from home and maybe hanging out w/ members while away from home.

Are you looking to organize some large scale national gathering or event of some sort? Just curious what your goal is here.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jx94148
I think what I said about local 4x4 clubs applies to all auto clubs in general. Members need to interact personally to make it worth anything. Especially when it comes to helping each other with mods, which is a main benefit of joining a club. The only benefits I see from forming a national club are getting discounts on parts when far from home and maybe hanging out w/ members while away from home.

Are you looking to organize some large scale national gathering or event of some sort? Just curious what your goal is here.
You are correct about members interacting. That's what it's all about.

As for the national stuff, at this point, I see a national organization as a standard setting focal point used to unite local chapters. It should be used to propagate information and resources to others that would like to create a local chapter. Without strong, active local chapters, a national organization would be a waste of time and bandwidth. I'm not into that.

Sure, all things change, but a national event would be a mind-blowing sign of success. Maybe, some day – but I would urge a more focused effort on learning to walk, so to speak, instead of training for the Boston Marathon. We’ve got to start small and build a solid foundation for the future.

I think it is important to focus on smaller, more achievable goals - like creating a solid online community, combined with this forum, a web site, a mailing list and a banner to rally behind. Uniting enthusiast for the purpose of sharing knowledge and benefiting the community at large seems to be a large enough goal to begin with. Only after these goals are achieved should we start looking toward the stars.

Do you agree with this line of thinking?
Old 05-24-2002, 06:05 PM

Thumbs up

When do we sign up ?? Actually, after reading everything that has been said so far it sounds very feasible. Like Gene said, it has to start small. I honestly think that with everyone pitching in with ideas/suggestions and their .02 cents it'll kick off fairly quickly. IMO even if starting off small means creating the "name" and designing a logo for people to display on their trucks or just mention on forums (whatever the preference) just to get the club "name" out there--people might become interested and aware of such a 4runner existance. Personally, I am new to the whole truck modding and all the technical details and have found such forums as this to be EXTREMELY helpful. If there were such a club formed, it might unite the 4runners as a group and could become more personable (putting names/faces/trucks altogether). Like I said, this is all just MHO, but anything I can do to help out----ANYTHING--please let me know. I have lots of time, creativity am up to help out with the progression of this in any way!!
Old 05-25-2002, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, here's my opinion:

I think the coolest name is 4runner Owners Club -- 4ROC, however I'm torn. I'm probably going to get a Taco later so I'd look a little dorky with a 4ROC sticker on it. Also, I like you guys better than ttora, nothing against them, I like them too it just seems everybody here is more mature.

My main concern is that this club will turn out to be like Xterra Owners Club. Again nothing against them, I'm a member there too and most of the people are cool. A few of them are a little militant about the members actually owning an xterra. A while ago they got into a heated debate as to whether they should kick out anybody who doesn't own an xterra. Their main argument was the fact that the name of the club is Xterra OWNERS Club. To me, that doesn't sound like a good reason to exclude knowledgable people.

Anyways, I'll join as long as the sticker looks cool.

Steve
Old 05-26-2002, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by Robinhood150
OK, here's my opinion:

I think the coolest name is 4runner Owners Club -- 4ROC,
<snip>

Steve
I like 4ROC also. I would also like to see a badge, such as the rectangular TRD badge that comes in the SC'r kit, instead of a window sticker.

Ron
Old 05-28-2002, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by Robinhood150
OK, here's my opinion:

I think the coolest name is 4runner Owners Club -- 4ROC, however I'm torn. I'm probably going to get a Taco later so I'd look a little dorky with a 4ROC sticker on it. Also, I like you guys better than ttora, nothing against them, I like them too it just seems everybody here is more mature.

My main concern is that this club will turn out to be like Xterra Owners Club. Again nothing against them, I'm a member there too and most of the people are cool. A few of them are a little militant about the members actually owning an xterra. A while ago they got into a heated debate as to whether they should kick out anybody who doesn't own an xterra. Their main argument was the fact that the name of the club is Xterra OWNERS Club. To me, that doesn't sound like a good reason to exclude knowledgable people.

Steve

Dude, that was me that started that whole mess over at XOC. Some of those guys are babies, but there were some cool people on that board also.
Old 05-28-2002, 06:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you guys checked out the Hilux Surf Owners Club? They are in Japan and have what appears to be EXACTLY what we are looking to do. I say we join up somehow with them, and start a 4Runner Owners Club.

http://hsoc.room.ne.jp/~hsoc/english/index2.html

I posted on their BBS a while back.
Old 06-05-2002, 04:04 PM

Location: Virginia Beach/Blacksburg, VA/ Littleton, CO (Right now)
Hello, I am new to this forum, but I recognize a lot of the people for the 4x4Wire forum...

I would be interested, my vote would be for 4ROC.

Adam, nice sig...so now you sold your rig, you going to get a 1st Gen like you have been trying to do for some time?

Quick Reply: status???