Land Usage & Off Road Responsibility Discussion pertaining to the education of proper land usage, closures, and responsible off road driving

Trail Repair do's and don'ts....

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trail Repair do's and don'ts....

There are some trails here that are open to the public. I believe they go down, rights of way, between land owners so, if there is a slide they can call the county to fix it.
Anyway these trails are mainly ran by ATV's. They generally don't stop to move a downed tree they just make a new path around it. So with each mud hole "most not deep" (they just don't want to get their pants wet splashing through them). The go around gets wider and wider.
I want to make the trails truck friendly so I'm gonna take a chain saw and cut downed trees and pull them to the side. Don't see a problem there. But I'm wondering these muddy tracks where the ATV's splash through is it ok to dig a ditch to allow water to drain off or should I put tree limbs in the tracks or both or just leave them the way they are?
Old 02-03-2007, 09:24 AM

yeah sometimes atv's get anoying, they think that I am going to take my truck off into the trees so that they can pass? no, they can sit to the side while I pass or go around the side of me slowely.... its not a race... inconsiderate. If it was me, i would trim up to around the bypass and then stack logs to keep it from getting more torn up.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ATVs are the ones getting trails shut down here because they don't stick on the trail and they just don't give a rats ass in general. The local newspapers have lumped all 4 wheel drive vehicles together with those idiots. If anything, the ATV community here is losing points real fast. And they're losing points for us wheelers and it's a problem.

I would clear the trees out of the trail and use logs to block off any new ATV paths that they've made. If they're afraid getting muddy maybe they shouldn't be riding ATVs there. I'd stop them from making too many workarounds. That's one reason why most of our trails have giant gates and cops in front of them now. All it takes is a few wreckless people and some biased news reporting and your 4wheeling might be gone forever in a matter of weeks. Kind of like ours.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

Ok I was thinking of that too. Basically by making them go through the mud hole (on the trail) they will go slower (so as to not get their legs wet) hence the mud hole won't get splashed bigger I like it!
I was thinking of maybe making some kind of mark or sign so they could tell how deep each hole is. What about that idea IE. a circle with pie cuts representing the depth?
Old 02-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
With our club's Adopt-A-Trail (via the Forest Service) we close off side trails and bypasses with downed logs, etc. and clear out fallen trees to keep the main trail passable. Also dig drainage ditches for standing water on the trail to help dry it out faster.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:04 AM

[QUOTE=fork;50417688]ATVs are the ones getting trails shut down here because they don't stick on the trail and they just don't give a rats ass in general. The local newspapers have lumped all 4 wheel drive vehicles together with those idiots. If anything, the ATV community here is losing points real fast. And they're losing points for us wheelers and it's a problem.

I agree with you 100% about ATV riders, for some reason it doesnt seem to be as much of a problem with motorcycle riders, that they tend to be less disrespectful of the rules and certainly less responsible when it comes to safety gear like helmets and riding double(illegal in CA) as well as underage riders. this is coming froma long term desert rat, AMA member, racer and MC lover And to top it off, they make the news here every week when one dies...due to stupidity,

I would certainly try to close off the bypasses, and dig drainage for standing water, and it might help to try to form an organization in your area that would work in conjunction with the local land owners
Old 02-08-2007, 12:27 PM

where i go, the dirt bikes and atv's are always screaming around and just out to tear stuff up, yeah we tear the dirt and grass up when we get stuck, but what i see of atv's they just wanna see how much they can destroy.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:15 AM
Banned

ATV's are shorter and narrower, ther needs to be two trails on for them and one for off road trucks and the such. If it was done like bike paths it would be a much better off roading community. TJ
Old 02-01-2009, 07:48 AM

I told some people that the ATV/SXS are ruining our trails. I was scorned and told that I was hurting off-roaders for saying such things. WGAF what they think. It's the truth.