Land Usage & Off Road Responsibility Discussion pertaining to the education of proper land usage, closures, and responsible off road driving

No more fun on Hatteras

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No more fun on Hatteras

havent posted on here in awhile but this is so weak. understand where they are coming from but still sucksss

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/01/park...-beach-driving
Old 01-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Says they are closing a portion of the beach and charging an access fee..not stopping from you from 'having fun'
Old 01-22-2012, 11:50 AM

sorry should have said "free" fun. pretty sure the 26 mile stretch they are closing is where most of the trails are though
Old 01-22-2012, 01:26 PM

i have been going to the outer banks my whole life,i cant believe they are finally doing this,it sucks!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:55 PM

same here waynesworld. normally make several trips down to Frisco a year to stay at my cottage and to camp. i guess im gonna have to step up and by a fishing license and a beach access permit and watch their 7 minute video
Old 01-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Never been there yet but from what the article says they are only closing a part of the beach which contains habitat vital to the survival of several threatened species.
Watching a training video is a good idea plenty of weekend yahoos have no clue how to drive on the beach in a way that is safe and limits soil erosion.
Not offering a short 2day weekend permit is perhaps a mistake... and it's not like this is anything new the directive came out in 1972 they are only just now getting around to implementing it... gotta love the work ethic of them civil serpents...
Old 01-24-2012, 10:22 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
They had started charging at Carolina's Beach and Fort Fisher last time we were there 2006. Times before I'd been out and seen where offroaders had ridden though the marked loggerhead turtle nest. I never understood why someone would run over a nest like that but that seems to be the irresponsible actions that hurt all of us offroaders.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aviator.... It is the point that a few bad apples are ruining it for the majority of us and gave the treehugging nazis the power to persuade a few. Hatteras is a beautiful beach and yes, the majority of the proposed areas are the off-roading trails. Being from Garner NC, it is a usual summer trip for us. Sucks to see how the misconduct from a select few can affect so many. I am glad thatsmyyota89 posted it, woulda been a hellofa shock to find out once there.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:04 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
^ this

i'm not opposed to paying a fee if it keeps some of the yahoos off. but i rarely go down that far anymore. now it's usually oregon inlet
Old 01-24-2012, 11:11 PM

im totally for saving wildlife and all that yadda yadda but like muddpigg and lycanistic said its just like everything in life a select few FSU for the rest of us. I personally think they should just cut off the access to the areas when the turtles and birds are nesting instead of indefinitely. anyone seen the bumper sticker where it says audubon can you identify this bird? cant seem to find a picture on google but its pretty funny. everywhere was sold out while i was on my way back through nags head. i guess the only good thing about this is that there will most definitely be less people on the access'
Old 01-24-2012, 11:14 PM

found it
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...HUYcNd-xPxaPDk

Last edited by thatsmyYOTA89; 01-24-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:30 AM

The craziest part about this issue is that the bird isn't even indigenous to the Island. The first Sailors that settled there, brought the birds when the first came to the the Island. Which means we are trying to save a bird that doesn't even belong on the Island. I'm all for saving the turtle but you have to understand that people go that far down the Island to Driven and fish like that on the beach. I have been down there for years we have a family house down there, being able to drive on the beach was one of the bigger factors to buying a house down there. This is some Environmental Wack-JObs who don't live on the Island trying to save something that doesn't need more space. THis is Total BS and will hurt Tourism down there. I Understand giving space to the turtles Fine but the alloted places for them to nest is already about 30,000 Acres to nest.

I think getting a permit is fine and dandy but closing that much land is the biggest problem. Sorry to rant but this is near and dear to me. And I cant stand when people do dumb things for what they think is a good cause.

Last edited by B-yodaful; 01-25-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:48 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Humans just have the tendency to see things on a time scale that makes it all seem "significant/important". Which it, of course, is not. All things are in a constant state of change. Here on this planet, and everywhere else in the known universe. There's no resisting it. It's called entropy. Nothing lasts forever. NOTHING. All life, and indeed all physical matter(or rather energy, since that's all there really is), in the universe is doomed to extinction in the end.

In the grand scheme of things we will go extinct ourselves. No avoiding it. In the process of thousands more, or possibly millions more, years. Or maybe it all ends tomorrow? We can't hardly hurt the life on this planet, even our own. None of it's going to last anyway. NONE. Many times more species of life have existed and gone extinct than have done so since the dawn of our species. We've had no, will have no, appreciable effect on the rate of species extinction. That's a fact. As well as the fact that we are here to speak of such things as extinction BECAUSE OF A MASS EXTINCTION!!!

Regardless, the Earth will go on without us as if we never really happened. Literally. Anything we can possibly do to the planet will be "healed" with time. The processes of erosion and plate tectonics erase all things. All mountains crumble until ultimately being pull down back into the earth, recycled, and spat back out as brand new mountains all over again. In a seemingly endless geological system. We can't hardly hurt the planet itself. None of it's going to last(as it is) anyway. NONE.

To all the tree-hugger/eco-nazi/evironMENTALists out there:

The forces of nature are conspiring against you. You're not in control of, or able to produce a lasting effect on, ANYTHING!!! And you NEVER will. You don't worship nature like you think you do. You are at odds with it just like the rest of us. And there's NOTHING unnatural about that. That's just the way it is. So get used to it. And please stop wasting all of our time with your nonsensical viewpoint. There's more important things to do, don't you think?(DON'T answer that)

Thanks!

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-25-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:12 PM

^wish you were at the meeting that they had mudhippy haha. like you said its a never ending process that will happen with or without us. i'm just curious to see the nesting "numbers" that they come up with in the next year. i bet they will have a lot of their people driving down the permanently banned beaches to count them to make it seem like they had an impact.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:19 AM

help out if you would like it can't hurt

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-..._term=own_wall
Old 02-22-2012, 09:17 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Signed and forwarded
Thanks for posting
Old 02-23-2012, 10:22 PM

thanks 8,600 so far out of 100,000 hahaha
Old 03-10-2012, 04:59 PM

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION! Or just read the views from the people who actually live on the outer banks, make a living on the outer banks, and these people are the ones who's voice is not being listen to.
The Cape Hatteras National Seashore was set aside for the use of all people in the late 30's to protect access to the beach for the common man. The gov. came around and told the people who lived in the small towns along the outer banks that their access or anyone's access to the beach would never happen.
My first trip to the outer banks was in 1970, and yes it has changed a great deal since then, and I hate to see how stupid and reckless leave their trash, and tear up things, but instead of some common sense rules, its closed off.
Some of the areas on the maps that might look open, are blocked off by the closed parts. So you will have to swim to get their.
The inlets, which are closed, are some of the best fishing places in the U.S. Cape Point is gone also.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:21 PM

welcome to YT! I just sent the NPS at Hatteras a nasty gram with a piece of my mind. I know it will not do much but it makes me feel better about the situation ha. This is just so upsetting. I know I will be down there the last 2 weeks of July just like every year but I get mad just thinking about it. I have several fishing spots that I just know will be closed. I used to go camping several times at the Cape Hatteras National Seashore but I don't see myself giving them anymore of my money especially when I will be giving them $150 just to drive on what little they have allotted. I asked them several questions of which I asked for facts to back up their answers. Lets see what they got!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:52 AM

I can't believe driving out on the beach on the Outer Banks has been free for so long. I have seen areas damaged by irresponsible people. People need to be educated about how and where to drive on the beach and what equipment they need to carry. In my opinion, I think people should watch an informative video, have their vehicle quickly inspected and equipment checked, pay a small fee of $10 or $15, sign a responsiblilty code and get information on emergency numbers and towing. No big deal.

To the poster below me, you misinterpreted what I was suggesting SHOULD be done.

Last edited by benski8; 03-11-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Quick Reply: No more fun on Hatteras