FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

Visibility Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visibility Question

Though I love my 89 runner the time has come to start thinking about a new ride. I'm really liking the Fj but I'm not sure how bad the visibility is out on the trail and havent heard anything good from the magazine fat cats. Is it really as bad as they say and anyone think Toyota will address the issuse in the future?? Cuz I really wanna get one just dont want to destroy one cuz I'm driving blind
Old 02-15-2008, 05:22 AM

I can't testify to the FJ's visibility off road -- I just picked mine up two days ago -- but I can tell you from driving around in traffic that the visibility is definitely limited compared to other SUVs, especially if you're coming from a 4Runner. I was driving a 96 4Runner before I got the FJ, now when I get back into my 4Runner it feels like I'm driving around in a glass turret. I think it boils down to if you're comfortable driving around using mainly your mirrors. If you are, then it's not an issue, and Toyota did a great job out fitting the FJ with oversize mirrors that cover the blind spots well. If you've seriously considering an FJ I would take a test drive.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The FJ definitely has its blind spots. I've almost laid it on its side out on the trail. I was backing down a dead end trail when I put the drivers side rear wheel in a deep hole that I couldn't see(the sun and shade didn't help!). That being said its all what your used to driving. At work I drive a work van with no rear windows, in San Francisco with no problems. So the FJ is fine for me. My daughter hates sitting in back because she can't see out well. Take a long test drive and back it up in a parking lot. The back up sensors do help.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:10 PM

Ya I've seen them with back up cameras which would be a big help even on my runner. Lack of passenger visablity is a bummer because thats the views make most runs. But ya I guess ill just have to get out and test drive one.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:30 PM

I've had to back up many a curvy mountain trail and haven't had a problem. Proper mirror adjustment is key.

The only real blind spot is the C pillars. In our town, there is a lot of angle parking..... and the C pillars are at the perfect angle to block you view of oncoming traffic when backing up.

I have the backup sensors, and recently added the Toyota Rearsight backup camera (wide angle lense) and it makes all the difference in the world, especially at night. A very good investment at $439 IMHO.

DEWFPO
Old 11-18-2008, 10:54 AM

Drove TRD one at the off road expo while back wasnt too bad but would def take some time to be totally confident in knowing where everything is outside of it
Old 02-02-2010, 05:32 AM

Drving Blind is Driving Stupid

How much of your time do you spend driving backwards? The FJ has a serious problem with rear visibility. However, you can adjust to it with some practice and some common sense. The rear backup sensors do help, trusting them always is something I still haven't quite mastered. The most dangerous blind spot is the right rear area when you are backing out of a parking spot. You have to really do a double take and watch yourself. Once you get into the habbit you will be OK. The tire when mounted on the back and the small back window can block anyone that is close behind you. If you get a set of wide angle mirrors it is helpful. Once again you have to get used to them. When you are on the trail you are going to have to do something really stupid to bash up the back end. If you don't know what is behind you, you shouldn't back up period. On the few ocassions when you might have a doubt get out and look. If you are on something so steep that you can't get out (not smart) you will have to use your mirrors. If you really are going to get stupid a lot. Put in a backup camera and take the rear tire off the back and put it on the roof rack. Bottom line is that the FJ does take some adjusting to get used to the blind spots. But with a little practice it ROCKS!!

Grandpa Steve

Originally Posted by Can Coon?
Though I love my 89 runner the time has come to start thinking about a new ride. I'm really liking the Fj but I'm not sure how bad the visibility is out on the trail and havent heard anything good from the magazine fat cats. Is it really as bad as they say and anyone think Toyota will address the issuse in the future?? Cuz I really wanna get one just dont want to destroy one cuz I'm driving blind
Old 02-02-2010, 06:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bring out your dead...bring out your dead...bring out your dead...

I'm guessing since he was looking at the FJ two years ago, he probably made up his mind by now.