FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

Two New Colors For 2011 (FJ Cruiser)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome... powder blue on an already urban-chic styled truck is a little much. Not knocking too hard mechanically, but Jesus Toyota, just give is the HZJ76 instead. Diesel, solid axle, handles like a truck should, build tough. Perfect. After going from a 4Runner (North American market) to a diesel Landcruiser (international market), I've realized how inferior the Toyotas made for North Americans are.

Last edited by Matt16; 09-22-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:34 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BT17R
A more relaxed on-pavement driver, less attention required to maintain a line, easier parking, improved turn-in and handling.
Thanks Bob, I will check into this over winter.
With the added weight of my roof top tent, bigger tires, and the weight I carry, my rig tends to wander a bit at highway speeds.

My best handling rig I ever had was my 90 Xtracab 4WD.
Longer wheelbase than the FJ and the '91 4Runner I had prior.
I do not ever recall the Xtracab being effected by the wind so much or crappy roads as the FJ and the 4Runner experience.

Paul, that compass is growing on me.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:36 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by Matt16
Awesome... powder blue on an already urban-chic styled truck is a little much. Not knocking too hard mechanically, but Jesus Toyota, just give is the HZJ76 instead. Diesel, solid axle, handles like a truck should, build tough. Perfect. After going from a 4Runner (North American market) to a diesel Landcruiser (international market), I've realized how inferior the Toyotas made for North Americans are.
Matt, you are asking for the impossible here.
4WD enthusiasts are in the minority here in North America, and Toyota knows it.
The demand is not great enough for diesels or front solid axles.
I do not see it happening in ten or twenty years.

Excuse me now while I go and powder my nose, adjust my panties, and my nylons so I can look good in my urban chic styled rig.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
psst Corey you need to straighten the seams on your nylons...
and there's a run starting in your left heel...

Last edited by aviator; 09-22-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Corey
Thanks Bob, I will check into this over winter.
With the added weight of my roof top tent, bigger tires, and the weight I carry, my rig tends to wander a bit at highway speeds.

My best handling rig I ever had was my 90 Xtracab 4WD.
Longer wheelbase than the FJ and the '91 4Runner I had prior.
I do not ever recall the Xtracab being effected by the wind so much or crappy roads as the FJ and the 4Runner experience.

Paul, that compass is growing on me.
Yeah, I imagine your rig has a CG off the charts!

The best handling SUV I've owned was a 4th Gen 'Runner with X-REAS. The suspension had more to do with it's accurate tracking than the steering, but the quick ratio was appreciated.

I'll drive a 2011 FJC when they hit the ground in late Nov/early Dec to see if it's worth considering a swap. I also might get some of the same gains by switching to a slightly shorter diameter tire like the newly available 265/70-16 BFG KO A/T's. Except my OEM 75 series KO's are only half worn @ 25K miles.

Oh, I really like the new colors. The blue is much closer, maybe a match for the original FJ-40 blue. Nice.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Bob, that would be great if you could give your view on the new steering ratio.
My COG is better with the new BajaRack, I suspect some of my wandering is caused by the mud tires.

I might go with ATs next time.
I ran the TXRs by Les Schwab on the 4Runner and they were a great AT tire, and did great in the snow too.

Although if I went with an AT in the future, it would not be them, and probably not BF ATs either.
The latter are good, but the same design for 25 years, and I hear the sidewalls are weak on them.
Good thread over on Expo talking about them.

Paul, no runs, my nylons are steel belted.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing I like about the BFG's is their great tread life and quiet ride. Everything else is a compromise and so they don't excel at anything.

Here's part of a dealer letter sent today. The FJC gets a huge price increase, well above any other series. That suggests two things: FJ is still selling to plan so can stand a bump when compared to the competition. The other thing is that it suggests FJ may be entering the twilight of it's lifecycle. Toyota always milks a series with price increases right before a major makeover or discontinuation of a series.

• FJ Cruiser increases $1,110 or 4.3%

 The 2011MY FJ Cruiser features the following technology and equipment upgrades and enhancements:
 New standard audio: AM/FM CD player with MP3/WMA playback capability, six speakers, XM Radio (includes 90-day trial), aux audio jack, USB port with iPod® connectivity, hands-free phone capability and music streaming via Bluetooth® wireless technology, steering wheel audio and Bluetooth® controls and roof-mounted XM Radio antenna
 New optional audio adds JBL® AM/FM 6-disc CD changer with 11 speakers (including subwoofer)
 Improved rear passenger ingress/egress – passenger front seat can fold further forward (does not fold flat) to allow better access to the second row seats
 Folding headrests on outboard positions of second row seats
 Restyled 17" factory alloy wheels available
 Two new colors: Quicksand replaces Sandstorm, and Calvary Blue replaces Sun Fusion
Old 09-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Excuse me now while I go and powder my nose, adjust my panties, and my nylons so I can look good in my urban chic styled rig.
This will be in my sig as soon as I get to a computer
Old 09-22-2010, 11:42 AM

Matt, you are asking for the impossible here.
4WD enthusiasts are in the minority here in North America, and Toyota knows it.
The demand is not great enough for diesels or front solid axles.
I do not see it happening in ten or twenty years.

you shouldnt have written that last line. look below at where it shall stay forever
Old 09-22-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tofer
This will be in my sig as soon as I get to a computer
didnt mean to steal your idea. hadnt gone to the last page yet. great minds think alike.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by sportrunner2001
you shouldnt have written that last line. look below at where it shall stay forever
Ah yes, but I has special powers and can make it go bye bye if it bothered me which it does not

Bad thing about panties if there is no hole in the front to hang out when ya gots to go ya know.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:13 PM

something about that made me read it in my head like you had a genie voice or something. "but i has special powers" was probably it.

I wouldnt know, I dont wear panties.