FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

Need help w/ questions on purchasing a new 2011 FJ Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help w/ questions on purchasing a new 2011 FJ Cruiser

hi corey (and all you FJ fans and toyota 4wd fans),

re: purchasing a new FJ cruiser

i am a new member and i am interested in purchasing a new 2011 FJ this Fall. i saw your FJ on this site and it looks great ! i have a few questions that will hopefully result in answers that will aid me during my present research stage. fyi - i am not an off roader but i like the FJ because it seems to have garnered a favorable opinion in several forums and blogs (including edmunds.com). it also seems reliable with regards to the scarcity of comments on
mechanical problems in the aforementioned forums and blogs. i am interested in the FJ primarily for my infrequent and very long highway drives out of state to visit fam and friends. so the vehicle is mainly for protection on the highways. ( i had a small tercel for 15 yrs / 180k miles and never had prob until the last day (2 yrs ago) so i am satisfied with toyota quality). i have a regular daily driver for work etc so i will keep that.

so here goes:

1.) what is this i hear about cracking / bending / bulging in the fender areas or crumple zones etc? this appears to be in models before 2009. Any thoughts on that?

2.) if the FJ is fitted with an ARB bullbar or a lift, etc., does that totally nullify or void the new car warranty?

3.) are there any chronic major mechanical issues that i should know about ? (i am still learning)

4.) has the issue with the windsheild cracks / pitting gotten better in any way or resolved by a toyota redesign? and is this just an issue with off roading on dirt etc and not on the highway?

5.) this may be a silly issue but...the driver's left armrest on the door bothers me because it is woefully low and i can't relax as i am used to having my left arm rest on the door armrest. is there an aftermarket drivers left armrest or seat or something to raise it up a few inches?

5.5) any aftermarket drivers seats i can get installed that are more comfortable?

6.) no interior dome light up front. any aftermarket light out there that i can install?

7.) finally...the FJ is not on the toyota recall list, correct? and why?

sorry to ask all these questions but i am hopeful one or some of you will be kind enough to answer.
Thank you !!
-Andy
Old 03-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I shall try and answer.
Thanks for the comps on my rig.

1. Good thread with pics.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...y-ripples.html

Has not happened to me, and I am lifted and have lots of weight for and aft.

2. Should not effect the warranty at all.
Some dealerships sell brand new FJ equipped with an ARB bumper, Warn M8000 or XD9000 winch, and the Old Man Emu lift.
They outsource the work though.

3. I have not heard of any big issues except for the fender rips which has not plagued all of us.

4. I am on my second windshield, and I got a good chip a month or so back which I had fixed the other day.
Problem is not the glass, but the almost vertical position of the glass.
Jeep owners have reported this snafu too in the past.
And yes, I have small pits.
When a rock hits small or big, you hear/jump more, as it is louder.

5. I use to rest my left arm on my 91 4Runners arm rest, to hard now with the FJ.
I drive one handed with my left hand, and rest my right forearm on the fold down armrest.

6. Some have added their own lights up front, there should be some threads at the blue forum.

7. Not on the recall list because it is made in Japan, and not America
Different parts sourced for this side of the shore.
Personally I think Toyota should never have created factories here in the US.

Have fun with it, they are great rigs.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:40 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I can only speak about the warranty and here is my perception of "the law" If you look and the SEMA website there should be info there regarding new vehicle warranties and modifications. Basic run down is this:

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Vehicle manufactures cannot force you (deny any warranty) to use OEM parts. Ie toyota filters (oil, air etc.)

Now here is the kicker, they can only deny specific warranties that are proven to be caused by the aftermarket (non OEM) part. ie install high lift cam and the rockers/valve springs break. Install front and rear bumper and the lights stop working. Install bigger tires and you break a differential or wear out a clutch. Install accesories like stero amps and such and alternator dies this may include an electric winch.

Cannot deny because of situations like install suspension lift and engine blows up. Install accessories like ignition box, stereo amps etc and battery stops taking a charge (alot of dealership will try this don't fall for it.)
Old 03-26-2010, 08:17 AM

Now here is the kicker, they can only deny specific warranties that are proven to be caused by the aftermarket (non OEM) part. ie install high lift cam and the rockers/valve springs break. Install front and rear bumper and the lights stop working. Install bigger tires and you break a differential or wear out a clutch. Install accesories like stero amps and such and alternator dies this may include an electric winch.

==================

hi xxxtreme22r,

thx so much for your reply. lots to digest as i'm not familiar with the jargon (i'm not a car guy and don't know how to fix them, heh). but i get the gist of it. but do those things reallly happen, like you said, when you add those non oem parts?

-andy
Old 03-26-2010, 08:29 AM

1. Good thread with pics.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...y-ripples.html

Has not happened to me, and I am lifted and have lots of weight for and aft.

2. Should not effect the warranty at all.
Some dealerships sell brand new FJ equipped with an ARB bumper, Warn M8000 or XD9000 winch, and the Old Man Emu lift.
They outsource the work though.

3. I have not heard of any big issues except for the fender rips which has not plagued all of us.

4. I am on my second windshield, and I got a good chip a month or so back which I had fixed the other day.
Problem is not the glass, but the almost vertical position of the glass.
Jeep owners have reported this snafu too in the past.
And yes, I have small pits.
When a rock hits small or big, you hear/jump more, as it is louder.

5. I use to rest my left arm on my 91 4Runners arm rest, to hard now with the FJ.
I drive one handed with my left hand, and rest my right forearm on the fold down armrest.

6. Some have added their own lights up front, there should be some threads at the blue forum.

7. Not on the recall list because it is made in Japan, and not America
Different parts sourced for this side of the shore.
Personally I think Toyota should never have created factories here in the US.

===============================
hi corey

thnx mucho for the loquacious reply !

how many miles on ur rig now?

1.) re: the comments on the edmunds forum.... i noticed theyre all from 2007 and prior but nobody had any comments since then. so maybe the 21008 and newer models are ok?

2.) wow. good.

if i get a front ARB bull bar bumper w / winch, what is ur take on the chrome or stainless as opposed to thhe black powdercoated one? i heard that the chrome bumpers rust out?? what do u recommend ?

3.) how many do u know of that the fender problem ?

4.) understood

5.) ok

6.) how do i find the blue forum?

7.) amen !!

thnx so much!!
-andy