93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

Painting Chrome T100 Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting Chrome T100 Bumper

Hey guys, got sick of the stock chrome bumper and decided to try my hand at painting it with Rustoleum Leak Seal. Same stuff as PlastiDip so if I get tired of it I can just peel it off. I cleaned it first with soap and water and wiped it down with alcohol, then I scuffed it with 800 grit sand paper to help it stick. The 800 scuffs it enough for the sealer to hold, but the chrome retains its mirror finish if I decide to peel the stuff off. Let me know what you think with how it turned out. Before

Taping it off
First Coat

4 coats later

Didn't do such a good job taping it off. I'll just touch it up later

Total cost of this was $30, I got lazy taping around the license plate lights, but I'll just touch them up in a few days so it's no big deal . I'll be doing the front bumper and grill tomorrow
Old 11-02-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
That looks fantastic. I was thinking of buying some wheels that had peeling Plastidip. I looked at a lot of google and found the best thing to remove it is brake cleaner if you ever have to clean it off and it doesn't peel easily.

You've got may favorite stock wheels. If you ever need to touch up the plastic center caps. Rustoleum "Metallic" is a dead on match. The top of the can is silver and I'm sure I got it at Walmart. The caps pop off with a flat head screwdriver. It's the little things that really update an old truck.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a few spots where it ran, but overall it looks much better than the chrome in my opinion, can't wait to do the front bumper and grille. Time will tell if it lasts.

As for the stock wheels, they're my favorite style as well. I'll definitely look into picking up that rustoleum and touching up the center caps, lord knows they could use it after 21 years