93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

Installed interior lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed interior lights

A few months ago I was trolling around the junkyards and found some extra lighting in 4runners. I installed them into my base model T100 while I had the interior taken apart for the windshield job. I have owned my truck since 2005, and I really regret not holding out to find an SR5. The low spec of the base truck and all its missing things have really wound my crank over the years.

Map lamps in mirror base
The 4runner's mirror is a different size but the mirrors interchange on the bases. The mounting hardware is the same as the old mirror base but two sheetmetal screws are added and the holes are in the roof for this. Used a cb antenna mast to fish the wire across the headliner, down the a pillar to the fusebox area. I only ran one wire because the lamp assembly I got doesn't have the door on/off switch.

These map lamps are not as bright as the dome lamp but are easier to reach and better angled to shine on the front seat.

Glovebox lamp
Cutouts for the switch and lamp are already present in the top glovebox panel. Toyota used the switch in many vehicles and the lampholder cutout is a standard size. I wired this into my radio adapter harness so that the lamp only works when the key is in ACC or RUN.

The glovebox lamp is bright and usable and as such I don't ever think that I will be handing a cop an old ticket after being asked for my registration.

Ashtray & cigarette lighter lamps
The illuminated cigarette lighter socket comes on a harness with an extra lampholder for the ashtray. It's a little different to the low spec one: it's missing the negative terminal and the connector is now on a wiring pigtail and has 4 terminals. Undoing the nuts on the back of the lighter sockets let me take them apart to move the negative terminal plate to the illuminated lighter. This lets the original connector fit so that's less wiring work. So, I'm only using 2 of the positions on the new connector to feed the lamps, which I wired into the radio harness as well. The top ashtray bracket is different and adds a hole for the lamp and a window for the light to shine through. I simply beadblasted the junkyard bracket and it cleaned up really nice.

Surprisingly this makes a huge difference when operating at night. The bottom of the center dash was completely dark before.

Lamp around ignition key
The electronics for this are in the truck, the only thing missing is a wire. The lamp is fixed to the ignition lock with a M5 screw. I took a "2.3-II" terminal from a junkyard connector and inserted it into the empty cavity on the "integration relay" connector. I used a ring terminal to ground the lamp by the kick panel. I will need a new bezel for the key cylinder to make it look nice, which is $5 at the dealer.

This is not so amazing and I am disappointed that the lamp does not go out when the key is turned. I have been in the habit of inserting the key before closing the door to turn off the dome lamp. Maybe this will change now.

Last edited by TDonkey; 07-26-2015 at 10:15 AM.