93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

*grill guard (aka deer zapper) for t100

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*grill guard (aka deer zapper) for t100

TRUCK VS. BUCK - it was a draw, the dern buck limped away and fortunately I was able drive my wounded T home, but not before bending the bumper off the tire. 20yr old truck, I've run over possums, squirrels, and even clobbered a huge Tom turkey. Did not break my radiator support.My insurance co. is paying for all the damage! I am paying the difference to paint the rest of the truck. But before it's all finished I want to get a grill guard for it. But the prices I see are out of my financial orbit, like $900+ for a stainless one, 500+ for a black painted one. If you know of a good brand/strong well made guard that is reasonably priced I would appreciate knowing about it. I want to get a chrome/stainless finish since my T has all chrome trim.

Last edited by 8lugnuts; 01-09-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:54 PM

All better!

need to replace the antenna. I thought my insurance guy included that since the buck's rack ripped it clean off w/o even touching the paint or mirror! very skillful buck indeed.

I'm going to take a crack at restoring that headlight using some fine grit sandpaper and some clear coat. It's the orig. lens.

Still need a grill guard - deer zapper.

Last edited by 8lugnuts; 01-09-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:31 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
nice job on the repairs.

personally i wouldn't even think about a grill guard...they are called damage multipliers for a reason.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dropzone
nice job on the repairs.

personally i wouldn't even think about a grill guard...they are called damage multipliers for a reason.
Have you seen the ones the Aussies use that wrap around the sides into the fenderwell and presumably tie into the frame? Wish they offered those here. I always thought grill guards were a viable option but nope. Just show bars mostly.

You could take the bumper off and install a thickkkk iron bar, then put the bumper back on. With a little craftsmanship you could probably even hide it pretty well.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:47 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by bootscootboogie
Have you seen the ones the Aussies use that wrap around the sides into the fenderwell and presumably tie into the frame? Wish they offered those here. I always thought grill guards were a viable option but nope. Just show bars mostly.
The ARB style are awesome, hit a deer with my old tacoma, no damage. those side bars are stout.
Grill guards are a good place to mount lights if you don't mind the vibration throwing the pattern all over...yep i had one once
Old 01-10-2017, 08:56 AM

http://nwtrailinnovations.com/toyota...nch-bumper-kit

best one i have seen.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:47 AM

$400 really isn't bad for that!
Old 01-13-2017, 10:23 PM

How much did you end up shelling out to get it painted? Looks great!

Maybe consider buying a new headlight for the driver side to match, no polish is going to match the beauty of the rest of the truck. I too agree about the damage multiplier theory. You've managed to drive how many years and avoid collision? Chances are slim enough that the offset in buying one may be better put into the truck elsewhere.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:19 AM

ryantowry, thanks for that NWTI link, that bumper is awesome for the price, but 120lbs seems pretty heavy and that's just the bumper (no tubing). Still, nice bumper. I'm going to call them Monday to see how much they charge to ship it clear across the country to Virginia. shipping weight is 150lbs w/o tubing, gets heavier the more you add and if I get one I want it made with the center tube and side supports. I almost hate to take my brand new factory bumper off though but that NWTI bumper looks like it could destroy an elephant!

Have you guys seen
jaretstuff's 1995 T100 Off-road Build? he just got an NWTI bumper kit, I can't wait to see the pics after he mounts it. his is one of the nicest builds I've seen and quite a budget bargain for what he's put into the truck.

DropZ, nice 4Runner, you can see my ''93 in the Before pics. Mine has 173K, used to run great but it won't start/run unless I spray some gas directly into the throttle body. I think the fuel pump or something related to it is broke since I no longer hear the pump spool up when I turn the key to ON position. Not looking forward to troubleshooting it, hope it's only the pump and not the wiring & circuit.

Noah, I did not get the entire truck painted, just the cab and not the back of it either since I didn't want to pay for labor to remove the bed. Since it was going into the shop for repairs anyway I wanted to know how much more it would cost to paint the rest of the cab. My ins. company sent me $2900 for the repairs related to the deer hit ($3K -$100 deductible). I could have bought another T100 for less than that which was for sale next county over from me! I was pleasantly surprised when I learned my ins. company gave me that much $$$ to repair my 20yr old truck! The body shop quoted me another $1900 to paint the rest of the cab and strip&paint a totally straight tailgate I had to replace my old bent up one. As you can see in the Before pics it really needed it, the clear coat on the high spots was all but gone. They did a decent job blending the paint and the color matches perfectly. There are a few pock marks but barely visible. I am satisfied with it.

For that price they also took a perfectly straight black-painted tailgate I bought from a guy who totaled the front of his DX100 to replace my T's orig. banged up one. I asked them if they could remove the massive DX100 plastic trim piece from the replacement gate, then remove the SR5 piece from my orig. gate(since it was in perfect shape) and installing it on the replacement gate. It came out near perfect!

Funny how everything else looks worn and dirty when you get a new paint job. Now I have to paint the dirty/surface rusty bottom side. When the weather gets warm I will be under it with a dozen or so cans of black Rustoleum.

Last edited by 8lugnuts; 01-24-2017 at 03:19 PM. Reason: broken URL link
Old 01-27-2017, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by 8lugnuts
ryantowry, thanks for that NWTI link, that bumper is awesome for the price, but 120lbs seems pretty heavy and that's just the bumper (no tubing). Still, nice bumper. I'm going to call them Monday to see how much they charge to ship it clear across the country to Virginia. shipping weight is 150lbs w/o tubing, gets heavier the more you add and if I get one I want it made with the center tube and side supports. I almost hate to take my brand new factory bumper off though but that NWTI bumper looks like it could destroy an elephant!

Have you guys seen
jaretstuff's 1995 T100 Off-road Build? he just got an NWTI bumper kit, I can't wait to see the pics after he mounts it. his is one of the nicest builds I've seen and quite a budget bargain for what he's put into the truck.

DropZ, nice 4Runner, you can see my ''93 in the Before pics. Mine has 173K, used to run great but it won't start/run unless I spray some gas directly into the throttle body. I think the fuel pump or something related to it is broke since I no longer hear the pump spool up when I turn the key to ON position. Not looking forward to troubleshooting it, hope it's only the pump and not the wiring & circuit.

Noah, I did not get the entire truck painted, just the cab and not the back of it either since I didn't want to pay for labor to remove the bed. Since it was going into the shop for repairs anyway I wanted to know how much more it would cost to paint the rest of the cab. My ins. company sent me $2900 for the repairs related to the deer hit ($3K -$100 deductible). I could have bought another T100 for less than that which was for sale next county over from me! I was pleasantly surprised when I learned my ins. company gave me that much $$$ to repair my 20yr old truck! The body shop quoted me another $1900 to paint the rest of the cab and strip&paint a totally straight tailgate I had to replace my old bent up one. As you can see in the Before pics it really needed it, the clear coat on the high spots was all but gone. They did a decent job blending the paint and the color matches perfectly. There are a few pock marks but barely visible. I am satisfied with it.

For that price they also took a perfectly straight black-painted tailgate I bought from a guy who totaled the front of his DX100 to replace my T's orig. banged up one. I asked them if they could remove the massive DX100 plastic trim piece from the replacement gate, then remove the SR5 piece from my orig. gate(since it was in perfect shape) and installing it on the replacement gate. It came out near perfect!

Funny how everything else looks worn and dirty when you get a new paint job. Now I have to paint the dirty/surface rusty bottom side. When the weather gets warm I will be under it with a dozen or so cans of black Rustoleum.
really 120 for a plate bumper is pretty good. only way to go cheaper is a full tube version and then only if you design it right.

this is a newer taco ARB and it is saying 240 LBS:
https://www.amazon.com/ARB-3423140-F.../dp/B00C9XRHK2