93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

Dash dissassembly/replacing the speedometer cable ('96 SR5 4x4)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash dissassembly/replacing the speedometer cable ('96 SR5 4x4)

Yeah yeah, I know I only show up here when I have a problem >.> It's the best resource for 'yota info though.

So, due to some random stupidness (not my fault) my speedometer cable broke, and it's gonna cost me over $150 to get it fixed, or $70 to get the new cable.

Now, since the cable doesn't require a whole lot of crawling under it, I figure I should be able to get it fixed myself without too much issue. (My work space is an un-secured rocky dirt driveway)

I've already found where it attaches to the tranny, and have disconnected it to reseat it (in my troubleshooting/diasgnosing), so that's no issue at all. Routing it under the body will be a pain, but completely doable. I'm wondering though if anyone here can give me an idea of how hard it will be to dismantle the dash to get to that end of the speedometer cable (bearing in mind I've never torn a dash apart)?

Specifically, any specific tools I'll need that one might not find in a basic tool set, and anything weird I should be prepared to run in to (like something that explodes if you don't do it right because of springs, or something)
Old 08-22-2011, 04:55 PM

Torx (fer the air bag)
socket fer the steering wheel nut
Philips screwdriver, #2 (majority of the fasteners)
maybe a 10mm nut driver

Just take yer time and you'll see what to take off. It's pretty basic...just a "lot" of fasteners to go through...
Old 08-22-2011, 08:04 PM

Erk. Air bag? >.>

˟˟˟˟ing with airbags scares me a little bit..
Old 08-22-2011, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x2 on air bags scaring me....i have working around them, even if the battery cables are unplugged.

one thing i reccomend that will make the job 10000x easier, is a wire phish...

that way you can just stick it through the dash and pull it through, rather then running the wire all by hand
Old 08-23-2011, 03:31 PM

You don't have to remove the steering wheel...but it sure does make it a whole lot easier if it's out of the way when you pull the cluster forward to unclip the speedometer from the back of the cluster.

You don't need the wire fish to replace the speedometer inner cable. You just pull it out from the housing (cluster side...not the transmission) and work the new one back into the housing. Are you looking to replace the cable housing, too?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by BamZipPow
You don't have to remove the steering wheel...but it sure does make it a whole lot easier if it's out of the way when you pull the cluster forward to unclip the speedometer from the back of the cluster.

You don't need the wire fish to replace the speedometer inner cable. You just pull it out from the housing (cluster side...not the transmission) and work the new one back into the housing. Are you looking to replace the cable housing, too?
That appears to be what I will be purchasing, especially since, in my stupidity I sliced the outer housing in order to try and see if I could splice the inner cable >.>

Though I could probably re-seal the outer housing the way I planned to int he first place, by way of combining heat shrink and adhesive, just being very sure not to get any adhesive inside the housing.