93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

1995 3.4 Vs. 1997/1998

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1995 3.4 Vs. 1997/1998

I am in the market for a T100. It seems like the size, toughness, and price range of truck I am looking for. I am definitely going to get the 3.4L so I am curious if there is a mechanical difference between the 1995 / 1996 3.4L and the 97/98 version. I am under the impression that the TRD supercharger is not compatible with the 95/96 version because of a difference in the ECU. Is the 95/96 engine basically plug and play with the 97/98 ECU?

I am probably not going to supercharge but I want to make sure to get the best version of the 3.4L I can find. Any help on this topic is appreciated.

Also, I am under the impression that the 1995 models were built in Japan. I would normally think this is a very attractive feature for the 95 model. Does anyone have an opinion on whether this makes a difference?

Thank you,
Old 04-04-2017, 09:05 AM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Connectors appear the same for 95 vs 98 ecu, but the pin out is completely different, same story for AT vs MT. The TPS is a major difference (4 vs 3 wire) and the whole throttle body has to be swapped to convert it. Pretty sure it's required to match the ecu. Besides that, maybe igniter is different. I think the rest is more or less the same.

If you're planning to run a stick, the MT 97+ ecus are hard to find and expensive. I couldn't find a correct part number matched one for my 98 T100 4x4 SR5 MT (similar ones were $250), so I ended up gabbing a 97 one from a parts truck that's an automatic and repined it to match. It runs great, best running MT 3.4L I've drove so far out of around 5. I think there's a MT vs AT difference in the ECU, but I don't have "ABA" testing done.

As for the super charger, I'm pretty sure it's the ecu that's the main difference. The older trucks with the 4 pin TPS basically has the extra pin for an idle detection, the 3 pin ones does it within the ecu (for cruise etc). Heads, exhaust manifold etc all are the same part numbers for 95-98... in fact it's the same for all vehicles that received the 3.4L from what I could tell (Tacoma, 4runner, T100).

For Japan vs USA built, about 90% sure ALL T100's are Japan built. Simple check is the VIN number. First two letters should be JT for Japan, 4T (Ohio I think) or 5T (Texas) for USA (Theres also another plant along the west coast too, but that's more for cars). Anyway, if the truck's USA built, it might have the frame rot problem from that era. For the Tacoma/Tundra recalled frames, from my reading/understanding the replacement frames are built in Japan. From experence with Camry cars, Japan built ones seem to be put together slightly better, different cv axles were used (locally manufactured), but the rest seems identical. Might be biased a little, but it does seem the US built ones are prone to rust more than the Japan ones. My dad and I have owned 15+ camry cars for parts etc over the years.

Long story short, the T100 is a great platform using a lot of the older gen truck front end design (torsion bars and same front diff), but an "upgraded" rear end (the so called 8.4in rear end which is just an 8in that's heavier built). I personally love the newer engines, 2.7 3RZ and the 3.4L 5VZ. They seem to run well and are just as reliable, if not more reliable than the older ones. I'm basically selling all my 22re and 3.0L stuff in favor of them, and plan to build a 84-88 truck or 89-95 with the new style engine/trans, T100 transfer case if all works well together.

Good luck with the shopping. One thing to check on T100s are lower control arms (they rust out for some reason), and the frame around the gas tank area (where the first signs of a bad frame shows up). Down south all the frames are probably fine.
The following users liked this post:
dgmenace73 (02-19-2022)
Old 04-04-2017, 09:11 AM

ATC, this is exactly the type of in-depth response I was hoping to get. Very useful information. Thank you very much.
dgmenace73 (02-19-2022)
Old 04-04-2017, 09:54 AM

Not a problem. I've parted and and dug around the 86-95 pickups quite a bit, and a tiny bit with the 1st gen Tacoma (95 -99 so far I've had). Not sure if the T100 ever came with manual locking hubs factory, but it's basically a direct bolt on from the older IFS trucks (86-95) 26 spine from what I've read. Machines with out the manual locking hubs have an "ADD" front diff that unlocks at the axle gear instead of the hubs, so manual hubs helps keep wear down a little and help mpg.

For the 95+ T100 (not sure on older ones), from what I've researched so far, the transmission transfer case will interchange between 4cyl and 6cyl as well as the Tacoma, Tundra, and 3rd gen (i think) 4runner. The T100 is the only one with the old style axle drop (passenger side if I'm thinking right), while the Tacoma, Tundra, and the 4runners went to the opposite side.

Just a little extra thing, the manual 2.7L generally came with a W59 trans, the bell housing from that on a W56 can make a near bolt in 2.7L for the 86-95 4cyl trucks. Wiring is the big challenge and exhaust/fuel lines.

I should also clear up the 8.4in upgraded rear end. Pretty sure it first showed up in the T100 or Land cruiser, something like that, but the Tacoma, 4runner and Tundra received the same rear 3rd member. Tacoma and 4runner had an option for electronic rear locker too and the housing is a little different. There were TRD LSD's for the older style rear 3rds, but I don't think they fit the 8.4in ones. They went out of production not too long ago, I got 2 and my dad got a new one =). I think (could be wrong) they will fit in the old style IFS front ends, I researched it a while ago, so maybe it was for the solid front axles only. Orig MSRP was around $700, my dad got his for around $350.

I've been messing around with Toyotas for only around 7 years, so I have TONS to learn yet, but all the random things I knew about GM I'm forgetting and replacing it with Toyota stuff lol. Also fun fact, the most made in America car isn't even an American brand (they are mainly Mexico made), but the most American car is a Toyota Camry. So if anyone trys to bash you for driving non-American, you have some fact bullets to fire back.

Source: https://www.cars.com/articles/the-20...1420684865874/

If there's anything else your looking for let me know and I'll try to answer the best that I know. Reliability wise, seems solid for the 3.4L, my dad's T100 is at 300k miles, mine I just got is 217k, my Tacoma (t100 replaced it) was 240k, have a 4runner with 265k, another Tacoma with 275k, and all run/move yet. Most have rusted frames or bodies for the parts vehicles. None of them are dead, just one I parted down because it was beat to death and the guy broke bolts off on the engine trying to replace the crank sensor.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 t100 interchangeable transmission

Does anyone know what transmissions might be interchangeable with my 1996 Toyota t100 5 speed 4 cylinder 2wd pickup?
Old 04-05-2017, 08:09 AM

Look at your door sticker, the transmission code it on it. The engine pretty much determines the trans though.

For 4cyl, I've seen W59 for 4x4, I suspect there's a 2wd version too. The 2wd T100 my dad has had a W56 factory. The W and G series of trans goes way back to 86 or older, but shifter location might be slightly different era to era. Pretty much anything that came with the 3rz or 2rz (2.7L and 2.4L) would have a trans that would work. Not sure on the newer trucks like 2005+.

Typically, manual v6 is R150 (2wd version of it), so tacoma, 4runner, and tundra should be the same. A simple way to atleast see if the trans is for a v6 is to check for "VZ" embossed on the top of the bell housing, I haven't seen anything like that for the old 22r bell housings, and the 2.7/2.4L says RZ.

Also to note on the R150, from my understanding the "old" style of R150 can be used as well. The input shaft is about 1 inch shorter, and the bell housing is the same way, so matching bell housings to the era of trans should be all that's required. Again shifter location may have changed. This style came in v6 (3.0L) trucks from around 88-95. T100's probably had it too for 93-94, and 1st/2nd gen 4runners up to 95 I think.

Figured I'd give a more complete answer encase OP could use the info, or a googler =).
Old 04-18-2017, 06:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A 5 speed from any 3.0 will bolt right up to your 3.4, and go on carparts.com , or call LKQ for a new ecu, i would recommond a 95, because the dipstick is in a good place, and 96 had problems with head gaskets, the 95 is better for supercharger swaps, like im doing now, i have my 95 3.4 swaped into a 93 T100, since i wrecked my 95 truck, my 95 3.4 haS 305,000 miles, and im the orginal owner, just timing belts, and water pumps, and fuel filter every year
Old 05-11-2017, 04:38 PM

Thanks

Thanks again for the info. I held out for a 1998 and got lucky. Just got this '98 with a made in Japan Vin number. It's an auto tranny which is not exactly my preference but at least the wife can drive it.

Going to convert it to manual hubs but keep the rest stock.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:55 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Do me a favor, poke your head under there and tell me what side the front driveshaft is on. PLEASE!
Old 05-11-2017, 06:04 PM

Passenger side
Dsccowan (10-24-2018)
Old 05-11-2017, 08:32 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Sweet, If anyone hears of a wrecked one in Alaska I want it!
Old 05-11-2017, 09:21 PM

Yea, T100's are the old platform just wider cv axles, same front diff etc. Manual hubs are the same for IFS trucks 86-88 and 86-89 4runner. The 95+ T100's have the next gen engines, but the same old drive line, so the transfercase could be very useful for a conversion. From my understanding, the 3.4, 2.7, and 2.4 transfercases are all the same bolt pattern including from a T100 if it's a manual trans, not sure on the automatics. I was going to throw a 2.7L 3RZ engine in a 1st gen 4runner and use a T100 transfercase to make it happen instead of the W59 bell housing with W56 trans/transfercase route, but plans there changed.

@ OP, if you're looking for a set of IFS manual hubs for the T100, I have a spare pair from a IFS truck. I'll shoot ya a PM.
Old 02-19-2022, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atcfixer
Connectors appear the same for 95 vs 98 ecu, but the pin out is completely different, same story for AT vs MT. The TPS is a major difference (4 vs 3 wire) and the whole throttle body has to be swapped to convert it. Pretty sure it's required to match the ecu. Besides that, maybe igniter is different. I think the rest is more or less the same.

If you're planning to run a stick, the MT 97+ ecus are hard to find and expensive. I couldn't find a correct part number matched one for my 98 T100 4x4 SR5 MT (similar ones were $250), so I ended up gabbing a 97 one from a parts truck that's an automatic and repined it to match. It runs great, best running MT 3.4L I've drove so far out of around 5. I think there's a MT vs AT difference in the ECU, but I don't have "ABA" testing done.

As for the super charger, I'm pretty sure it's the ecu that's the main difference. The older trucks with the 4 pin TPS basically has the extra pin for an idle detection, the 3 pin ones does it within the ecu (for cruise etc). Heads, exhaust manifold etc all are the same part numbers for 95-98... in fact it's the same for all vehicles that received the 3.4L from what I could tell (Tacoma, 4runner, T100).

For Japan vs USA built, about 90% sure ALL T100's are Japan built. Simple check is the VIN number. First two letters should be JT for Japan, 4T (Ohio I think) or 5T (Texas) for USA (Theres also another plant along the west coast too, but that's more for cars). Anyway, if the truck's USA built, it might have the frame rot problem from that era. For the Tacoma/Tundra recalled frames, from my reading/understanding the replacement frames are built in Japan. From experence with Camry cars, Japan built ones seem to be put together slightly better, different cv axles were used (locally manufactured), but the rest seems identical. Might be biased a little, but it does seem the US built ones are prone to rust more than the Japan ones. My dad and I have owned 15+ camry cars for parts etc over the years.

Long story short, the T100 is a great platform using a lot of the older gen truck front end design (torsion bars and same front diff), but an "upgraded" rear end (the so called 8.4in rear end which is just an 8in that's heavier built). I personally love the newer engines, 2.7 3RZ and the 3.4L 5VZ. They seem to run well and are just as reliable, if not more reliable than the older ones. I'm basically selling all my 22re and 3.0L stuff in favor of them, and plan to build a 84-88 truck or 89-95 with the new style engine/trans, T100 transfer case if all works well together.

Good luck with the shopping. One thing to check on T100s are lower control arms (they rust out for some reason), and the frame around the gas tank area (where the first signs of a bad frame shows up). Down south all the frames are probably fine.
I wish I could get in depth replies like this...lol. I own a 95 T100 that I must replace engine but don't know what donor vehicle or VIN # vehicles I need to search for to verify the engine will drop in. I see controversial opinions on the difficulty to make a 4runner engine work in a T100. Hopefully I will figure it out. I think 4th digit of VIN has to be a " V " ? Thanks
Old 02-19-2022, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by dgmenace73
I wish I could get in depth replies like this...lol. I own a 95 T100 that I must replace engine but don't know what donor vehicle or VIN # vehicles I need to search for to verify the engine will drop in. I see controversial opinions on the difficulty to make a 4runner engine work in a T100. Hopefully I will figure it out. I think 4th digit of VIN has to be a " V " ? Thanks
I don't think Toyota uses the vin character thing for engine codes like the domestics do. The 95 T100 had two (maybe 3?) engine options. The inline 4 cyl would be the 3RZ and the v6 3.4l would be 5VZ. Both engines are common in the same vehicles, from my understanding, the engines more or less all interchange among the different models with possible sensors that might have to be swapped out from the orig engine.

Here's a couple good resources for a list of vehicles that came with the engines you'd be after.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_VZ_engine#5VZ-FE
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RZ_engine#3RZ-FE

I know the 3rz had an ignition system update later on, so make sure the engines look the same and they should work. I'd guess around 95-97ish should be pretty solid range. The 5vz had update injectors later on, don't think it effected too much though.

Small fun factor, the computers aren't super universal, so ideally you'd want to run the engine harness from your original vehicle so all the wiring matches up to the dash harness and such.

Engine code can be found on the emissions sticker under the hood, but it's generally pretty easy to identify just looking at it, 3rz, 5vz, 3rz, 22re all look unique. The only two that are hard to tell apart is the 2rz and 3rz, 2.4l vs 2.7l 4 cyl.

Also you probably have mixed info on the 5vz swap (guessing you have v6) since the 5vz is a common swap to replace the older 3vz engine which is what the older ones came with. The 5vz is the updated version of the 3vz engine (both the VZ engine family).

Last edited by atcfixer; 02-19-2022 at 06:55 AM.