General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wow! ceramic insert around plug is gone!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow! ceramic insert around plug is gone!

95 toyota 3.0 engine, has had a rough idle, like its running on 5 cylinders. So i bought some new ngk plug wires thinking that may be the culprit at 1st since i had bosch wires on the truck and pulled the plugs and found the front left plug has the entire ceramic insert around the electrode is gone.
guess the truck really was running on 5 cylinders after all lol. i have never seen this happen before but i assume this is why the truck is running crappy.
i have had to drive the truck a few times while it was running crappy so i assume this porcelin piece that is large as cigarette butt is in the oil pan??
I havent heard any noise in the motor it sounds the same just bad idle but this porcelin could have broke off while going 60mph and i just didnt hear it get ground up in the motor.
I use ngk v plugs and the plugs are less than 3 months old, maybe 400 miles on the plugs
heres a pic of the plug , im going to get more plugs now to replace it but still worried that the porcelin is in the motor or has already been crushed by the motor inside and has damaged something else
Attached Thumbnails wow! ceramic insert around plug is gone!-002.jpg  
Old 05-19-2015, 12:04 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just how do you figure it got in the oil pan??

Perhaps pounded to tiny pieces if your rings are really worn it might be in the oil pan or stuck on the oil pick up screen

It is no doubt still bouncing on top of the piston
Old 05-19-2015, 12:17 PM

im just guessing it would get crushed when the motor was running since this is not a normal everyday thing i have no clue.

ok if its bouncing on top of the piston how do i get it out? i have drove the truck for days, probably 40 miles with this piece broke off in the engine seems like i would hear it ratting around on that cylinder but maybe not.

i replaced the plug and truck runs now but now im wondering what i have to do to get this piece out. if i have to remove the head i will sue ngk and make them fix it.
I have searched online and found others had a simular issue and got a bore scope to look inside the hole to see if its in there and used a small grabber to get it out, fun fun! now i have to find out if i can rent a bore scope since i dont want to buy something ill never used again

Last edited by customdrum; 05-19-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I would pull the plug and try to get a vaccum with a small nozzle or a high pressure air hose and blow it out. I would think it would of gotten pulverized enough to go out the exhaust. I would see if the parts store rent a bore scope. If not the part stores, there are tool rental places that might have one you can rent. Those types of stores are getting hard to find. I think my nearest one is 35 miles away.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:41 PM

i called ngk and they have a claims process they want me to go through, i have to send them the bad plug, wait 30 days and they will decide if its the plug or my fault. how could it be my fault i didnt make the plug they did lol.
they say IF they think its there fault and a bad plug they want me to go get a bunch of estimates and they will pay for the damage.

i went and started the truck and after it has ran for a minute the sputtering/small pops started coming out the muffler so it runs but not like it should this spark plug has most likely damged that cylinder wall or the exhaust valve if it was crushed pieces and got stuck on edge of exhaust valve and damaged it.

after reading on here to use ngk plugs, 1st time i ever used ngk plugs ever and they have screwed up my life, thanks ngk i will never buy a ngk plug again
Old 05-19-2015, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
NGk is one that is recommended by some. I prefer Denso and just get mine from the dealer. They are reasonably priced there.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:58 PM

i know ngk or denso is the prefered plug for toyotas same for plug wires and they are the best to use but just my luck to have an issue with the ngk plug, when i was just thinking ill use ngk plugs on all my cars i have just changed my mind lol.
i never used ngk on my 22r toyota only the elcheapo autolight or others and never had any issues ever, never after putting 100k on the 22r never any issues with plugs or wires with off brand cheapo crap but this 3.0 is the worst toyota motor ever made imo, every car company has a lemon the toyota is the 90s model 3.0 headgaskets and bs makes this the engine to stay away from, time to sell the 3.0 yota and go back to the 22r or a jeep strait 6 or maybe even a dreaded ford or chevy lol

Last edited by customdrum; 05-19-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:00 PM

i tried the shop vac and blowing out the hole method and got nothing i figure it has already been crushed and blew out the exhaust out, im just gonna drive the terd till it explodes or sell it off for cheap to get rid of it
the truck doesnt have any tapping or knocking pinging etc on the motor other than the lifters taping which its done since 30,000 miles, that cylinder sounds fine but like the ngk guy says if theres any damage its already done.

Last edited by customdrum; 05-19-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Replace the plug and drive like you stole it.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It was a freak thing it happens I have been running NGK plugs for 15 years in all my 22R series Engines with no problem.

Anyone else ever had this happen reading this thread maybe I am just lucky .
Old 05-20-2015, 11:50 PM

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by customdrum

if i have to remove the head i will sue ngk and make them fix it.
Good luck with that!
Old 05-21-2015, 09:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its not there anymore to remove, probably blasted out the exhaust. If it runs fine, leave it alone.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:26 AM

it runs worse now that i have drove it some miles, not running on 5 cylinders but still a rough idle and sputtering some. it didnt sputter before the plugs but now it does.
since i cant find my receipt for the plugs im out of luck, ngk says if i could prove that there plug did the damage they will pay for the repair but without a receipt proving i bought the plugs they wont do anything. stupid that a reciept proves i bought there plug lol, piss on there head! needless to say ngk plugs only plug that ever gave me any issue ever so i wont be buying them again for sure lol or a 3.0 v6 toyota engine its the worst engine toyota has made in the older models to dam hard to work on, i will warn everyone to stay away from that motor forever. wish i could drop a 4cyl in that truck its to easy to work on.

Last edited by customdrum; 05-21-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:57 PM

you can get a scope at Harbor frieght. it may not be a good one but it should get the job done.

Last edited by gtct10b; 05-21-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:09 PM

I had a similar problem with a tercel. It was a coil pack.
Whole problem was a short from reckless fluid top ups. Moral of the story use a funnel
Old 01-29-2016, 03:52 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by emenius
I had a similar problem with a tercel. It was a coil pack.
Whole problem was a short from reckless fluid top ups. Moral of the story use a funnel

Right moral...wrong story. Is what it sounds like to me.

Short the coil pack with oil? That's a stretch. But maybe. Said short blowing the insulator tip(s) off the spark plug(s)? That makes absolutely no sense.

Sorry...but there's no way those things are related. It's just not possible.

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-29-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:22 AM

Well considering a new coilpack that never got bolted on just sat on the plug fixed my problem and went for well over a year and some 100 thousand kms. My local canadian tire replaced every plug i blew up.

There is apparently a few variables that were not explored with my car. Outside air temps, how you drive, timing, or what kind of wieghts you might push or pull with your trucks.

Last edited by emenius; 01-30-2016 at 07:42 AM. Reason: do i really need a reason?£