General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail fuse 86

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail fuse 86

My tail fuse keeps blowing no matter what size amperage I put in there. I searched and found something about the relay causing it to blow. But I can hear the relay switching on and off. Any other input would be nice. Dome works head lamps work brake lights work everything else works just tail fuse keeps blowing
Old 03-10-2017, 03:39 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I am sure if you put a big enough fuse you will find the short when the wire starts to burn.

Does this have a trailer light converter box ?? They seem to cause many light problems .

You have a Short it could be in one of the tail light sockets

Physical damage to the harness some place in the circuit

Install any new goodies where you had to drill holes ??
Old 03-10-2017, 07:36 AM

So I have a trailer hook up there are some lights wired into the deck light switch for the rear. Today I'm going to find the damn thing. It happened so randomly. I read on another forum could be due to a stereo wiring to the dimer but my stereo still works and the lights come on on the stereo still
Old 03-10-2017, 09:53 AM

Alright I check the trailer adapter nothin wrong there. I checked the wiring to the lights nothing wrong there. And when I check the ohms at the fuse block I'm getting straight ground so. Now time to check the dash area maybe something grounding out by the stereo
Old 03-10-2017, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I am not the best in electrical but 99% of the problems I have found is from stereos and added trailer lights. Try leaving them disconnected and see what happens. In the Tail Light assembly, there are some crimps that can get corroded up real bad. Make sure one of them as not corroded up and caused a wire to flop around.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
I agree, a LOT of wiring problems on these trucks are the tail light wires. The plug for the fuel tank (fuel level, pump etc) and tail lights is under the passenger side seat. Somewhat easy to get to. Could unplug that and see if it continues to blow to rule out the whole back half of the harness.

Also a couple details, does it blow when you turn the lights on, instantly with everything is turned off?