General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Step by Step SuperBrightLEDs odometer/heater face swap on 85-89trucks/4runners

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 03:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Awsome write up. I just put LED's in the dome lights in my 01 tacoma. Had an issue with the integration relay not getting enough resistance for the lights to work. The older trucks didnt have that problem cause theres no relay involved. Of coarse you can add resisters to each light but theres hardly any room for them, the ones you need to use are kinda big.

Or I found a simple way to bypass the relay without lossing any functions, except for the auto power off function. It turns the domes of after an hour or so in case you leave them on. But with the bright LEDS you'll notice their on, and even if you did forget it would take weeks to drain your battery.

Sorry for the long story, but I searched for this a lot and couldnt get any answeres, finally just had to stair at the wiring diagram for a few and give it a shot. Also couldnt find the relay itself, or anything online telling me were it actually is. One site shows it in a diagram but it cant be were it shows it, cause theres nothing there, unless it invisible of coarse.

Redeth005 I like the dash lights, im gonna do the truck eventually.

Oh ya: its towards the end of this thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f131...ff-254651-new/

Last edited by ThatGuy1295; 11-12-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nate and That guy, sorry I just checked out this thread and realized I never got an email notification telling me you guys commented.
Did you guys ever end up installing your lights?

BTW I checked out the thread you posted and that's sounds like a troublesome problem to have. Glad my lights didn't go through that. I'm glad my car didn't do that when I installed them into my Corolla. Was a simple pop in and use kind of thing. I didn't run into any complications like you did.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I did this swap a while ago for red LEDs from superbrightleds.com. Wish I had some pictures.

I had a few interesting notes that people might want to know. I did a total swap using these LEDs:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...edge-base/197/

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...edge-base/206/

I have no idea if my dimmer works or not, one big advantage to the red. Otherwise they look much worse than I was hoping they would. But practically they're awesome. But I've had two problems so far. First, one of each of those has broken so far! I noticed one of the green ones I used for my turn signals stopped working. After taking it out I found it was because one of the leads broke off from the LED module. Poor quality! One of the big leds is working intermittently and I suspect it has the same issue. Not looking forward to taking it apart and finding out one way or the other

The other is that the LEDs I used for the battery and parking brake indicators are always lit at a dim level. I suspect this is because the diode for the battery indicator leaks enough current to turn the LEDs on.

Whether the bulbs work with dimmers depends on how they are designed. Some of the nicer LEDs use regulators so their brightness is independent of the voltage. The ones with simple resistors will dim just fine.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nate and That guy, sorry I just checked out this thread and realized I never got an email notification telling me you guys commented.
Did you guys ever end up installing your lights?

BTW I checked out the thread you posted and that's sounds like a troublesome problem to have. Glad my lights didn't go through that. I'm glad my car didn't do that when I installed them into my Corolla. Was a simple pop in and use kind of thing. I didn't run into any complications like you did.
Ya it was kinda wacky. But once I figured out the bypass it was easy.

So I did this swap a while ago for red LEDs from superbrightleds.com. Wish I had some pictures.

I had a few interesting notes that people might want to know. I did a total swap using these LEDs:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...edge-base/197/

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...edge-base/206/

I have no idea if my dimmer works or not, one big advantage to the red. Otherwise they look much worse than I was hoping they would. But practically they're awesome. But I've had two problems so far. First, one of each of those has broken so far! I noticed one of the green ones I used for my turn signals stopped working. After taking it out I found it was because one of the leads broke off from the LED module. Poor quality! One of the big leds is working intermittently and I suspect it has the same issue. Not looking forward to taking it apart and finding out one way or the other

The other is that the LEDs I used for the battery and parking brake indicators are always lit at a dim level. I suspect this is because the diode for the battery indicator leaks enough current to turn the LEDs on.

Whether the bulbs work with dimmers depends on how they are designed. Some of the nicer LEDs use regulators so their brightness is independent of the voltage. The ones with simple resistors will dim just fine.
What is the vehicle you did this to?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:31 PM

It's in my sig now. I've been lazy about putting it in there
Old 12-27-2012, 01:15 PM

I have also done the LED conversion in my 87' 4runner I did all of the lights including the ones in the switches, heater controls and inclinometer. I used the green LED's that use SMD type LED, and my dimmer works great.I wonder if it works because I did them all?
Old 06-21-2013, 01:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gonna have to order a few more bulbs soon, need 2 for my Inclinometer, 2 for the map light, 4 of the lights on the doors, bed of the 4runner, and the inside light. And one big bulb for the Chevy engine bay light mod that i did a while back. It'd be a good idea to order a couple extras while im at it since the shipping will add up all separately.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:30 PM

Old thread but surely adding this to my list