General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me with my lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help me with my lights

Can anybody tell me what color wires go to the taillight relay on a 89 toyota pickup? I have some burnt up wires and the spot for my taillight fuse is burnt so I'm trying to tie in to the wires and run a inline fuse
Old 05-10-2017, 07:08 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Edited:
Sorry, NOT sure if your light circuit is same as on 1986-1989 4Runner with 22RE. (Schematic for that is below)

At the tail light relay:
1) There is the supply wire that will always have 12V as long as your battery is connected. It goes to positive side of contacts and positive of coil.
2) There is the switched-ground wire that gets continuity to ground ONLY if the tail light combo-stalk-switch is in tail light or headlight ON position.
3) Then there is output wire that will get 12V only when there is 12V to wire 1 and ground to wire 2, and relay clicks.

Name:  TailLights_Voltages_zpsnti98ora.png
Views: 2781
Size:  221.4 KB

If you do not have a schematic:
Unplug your tail light fuse and relay.
Cycle your tail light switch (Up to tail light on position only) and see which wire gets 12 volt then does not get it as you cycle. That's the wire. Once you've found that, we'll go from there.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 05-10-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
If you do not have a schematic:
Unplug your tail light fuse and relay.
Cycle your tail light switch (Up to tail light on position only) and see which wire gets 12 volt then does not get it as you cycle. That's the wire. Once you've found that, we'll go from there.
without the relay plugged in I wouldn't get 12 volts to the wire going to the taillight I thought?
Old 05-10-2017, 07:27 AM

SORRY, my bad. Tail light relay is switched-ground. Pls see edited comment above...
Old 05-10-2017, 07:39 AM

SORRY, my bad. Tail light relay is switched-ground. Pls see edited comment above...
I have that drawing and the issue is having is there is no red wire from prong 3 on the relay to the fuse. I'm not sure if it's a different color or not
Old 05-10-2017, 11:45 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Have these lights ever worked ??

Now 88 pick ups have the red wire to the fuse .

Is that wire burned off or is there another color wire in that place ??
Old 05-10-2017, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Have these lights ever worked ??

Now 88 pick ups have the red wire to the fuse .

Is that wire burned off or is there another color wire in that place ??
I'll have to look again when I get time. Working 12's right now
Old 05-10-2017, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Wesleyc_08
without the relay plugged in I wouldn't get 12 volts to the wire going to the taillight I thought?
Correct. Voltage goes from battery, to positive side of relay contact to negative side of relay contact (if it's energized), to one side of fuse, to the other side of fuse (if fuse is good), to taillight wiring.

...there is no red wire from prong 3 on the relay to the fuse. I'm not sure if it's a different color or not
Gotta see whats connected to relay pin3 and where it goes. Also what's connected to the tail light fuse and where it goes.

Not sure if yours has the fancy integration relay module (one more thing to break) or if it's as simple as 1984 to 1988 MoreFunners.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:47 AM

Correct. Voltage goes from battery, to positive side of relay contact to negative side of relay contact (if it's energized), to one side of fuse, to the other side of fuse (if fuse is good), to taillight wiring.

Gotta see whats connected to relay pin3 and where it goes. Also what's connected to the tail light fuse and where it goes.

Not sure if yours has the fancy integration relay module (one more thing to break) or if it's as simple as 1984 to 1988 MoreFunners.
this has turned into a mess. Some rats or something must have got into it at some point. I'm considering just wiring my running lights, tail lights, and headlights to a new switch and just having everything work off of one circuit and just put a inline fuse.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:22 AM

Red face

If you do decide to go that route

Make some good notes just what your doing .

In case you have problems down the road you have something to look at
Old 05-11-2017, 12:02 PM

Giving up already?
Maybe it's not a ref RED wire on your truck. Maybe ur schematic is different from that of 1988 4Runner 22RE.
Why not trace wire between the relay ans the fuse?

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 05-12-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:40 PM

Red face

If the rodents have indeed been Chowing down under the dash behind the fuse block.

Sometimes the best call on 4th and inches is to punt

Myself if it is that bad I would be sourcing a Harness Maybe a complete parts vehicle
Old 05-12-2017, 05:01 AM

Giving up already?
Maybe it's not a ref wire on imur truck. Maybe ur schematic is different from that of 1988 4Runner 22RE.
Why not trace wire between the relay ans the fuse?
as bad as it is I think my best option is to build a new control circuit till I can get a wiring harness. I need my truck so I can't wait to find a harness. Give you help me out on what I need to do to tie in my dash and Custer lights into my new relay circuit to have them come on when my lights come on. I want to bypass the dimmer all together
Old 05-12-2017, 10:17 AM

...Give you help me out on what I need to do to tie in my dash and Custer lights into my new relay circuit to have them come on when my lights come on. I want to bypass the dimmer all together
We're doing our best to help you properly troubleshoot and restore your truck wiring to robust, stock condition. However, you have not done nor responded to what we had suggested that you look into.
Sorry, I will not help butcher the wiring like many previous owners have done.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:48 AM

We're doing our best to help you properly troubleshoot and restore your truck wiring to robust, stock condition. However, you have not done nor responded to what we had suggested that you look into.
Sorry, I will not help butcher the wiring like many previous owners have done.
i am going to try yalls advice first I'm just preparing a backup plan if that does not work. I don't have time to do what y'all said till I get off of 12's. All I've had time to do is go glance at a few things. So once I get off this turnaround I will follow yalls advice. One issue I found that I don't know what to do about it is the spot for the taillight fuse is burnt up to the point where you can't get a fuse in it. They guy used a paper clip as a fuse and that turned out just as you would imagine. I honestly don't know what he was thinking the way he wired this stuff up
Old 05-12-2017, 10:50 AM

I'm really just want to get it enough to drive and this summer I'm taking a week off to replace the whole wiring harness and other odd and end things. That's why I'm trying to set up a new circuit cause I plan on starting from scratch when I get the supplies and my week off.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:35 PM

Red face

About the best advice I can give you is to get a copy of Toyota`s Electrical Wiring Diagrams for the year pick up you have .

While other years might be close one wrong wire can make a big mess

If you were close to me I would be glad to help in person
Old 05-12-2017, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
About the best advice I can give you is to get a copy of Toyota`s Electrical Wiring Diagrams for the year pick up you have .

While other years might be close one wrong wire can make a big mess

If you were close to me I would be glad to help in person
where can I find one?
Old 05-12-2017, 02:58 PM

Red face

You can try Ebay,

Use the Search Engine of your choice what can you lose
Old 07-04-2017, 04:05 PM

RAD4Runner ,wondering if your on line here or somewhere else. I have the same problem and YOU seem to be giving the best advice. Ive been reading about Wyoming9,but my problem still exists,but eliminated one or two things now new problem. Anyway,are you here or am I talking to the wind ?