General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One turn signal working intermittently?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One turn signal working intermittently?

Howdy folks, I've got a bit of an interesting problem going on. My rear passenger side turn signal suddenly stopped working a few days ago, and will intermittently start working for about ten minutes at a time. What could be causing this?

Possinly related, this started about a day after I took out the seat and replaced the carpet in the cab. Before the turn signal stopped working the gas gauge stopped working for a day or so, and then started working again, and has been working since. Both of these symptoms have never occured before.

The truck is and '88 22re.

Thanks for your time!
Old 02-03-2017, 12:55 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Did you perhaps put a screw through the wiring harness going to the back of the truck ??

If this did not start till you were working on the carpet.

Moving the harness caused a wire to break or loose connection
Old 02-03-2017, 07:36 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
1) Got a multi-meter?
2) Did you Search? How Turn Signal Works? When you know how it works, you can reason how it could NOT work
3) Next question: Wanna check How Turn Signals Work?
Old 02-03-2017, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I like to use a test light at the plug under the seat. If it is working there, chances are it is from the seat all the way to the lights. Trouble shooting that area is not so bad. The tail light does have some wire crimps in them that I have seen corroded. Are the crimps rusted away? How are the bulb sockets? They can get in bad shape and need a good cleaning or replaced. As far as if it is in the Combo Switch, RAD4Runner would be better at trouble shooting that area.