General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED wiring to 3 position toggle

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
LED wiring to 3 position toggle

I was wondering if anyone could help me out by maybe drawing up a wiring schematic for me. I have wired these LED's before using an on/off/on switch and a 40a relay, however, I am changing the non lit switch to a lighted switch. The old 3 position toggle had only 3 prongs in the back. This new one has 6 prongs and it is throwing my mind into a spin. Ideally, the top switch position will be wired into my reverse lights so they come on whenever the truck is in reverse. The bottom position will be a fused 12v so I can use the lights whenever the key is on ACC. Ill provide a picture of the new switch and hopefully someone can either tell me what to do or tell me just to buy a new switch. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails LED wiring to 3 position toggle-resized_20170524_215525.jpeg  
Old 05-24-2017, 08:10 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Your options:
1) Find documentation for your new switch - What is the light for? To find the switch in the dark or to indicate whether there is power to load or not?
2) Get a multi-meter so we can help you find out where the leads are for the switch illumination,
3) Buy a new switch with proper documentation - What is the light for? To find the switch in the dark or to indicate whether there is power to load or not?
Old 05-26-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Your going to have fun time to buy a Meter !!

There like rad said two types of lighted switches one is lite all the time with the tail lights or what ever light source you use.

the other is lite when the switch is in the on position

So Figure out just what type you need .

Some switches can be wired either way .

Local fire company close??
Old 05-26-2017, 02:38 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
You likely have a double throw switch, the center two are common and to others will be separated.