General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I unplug my fuel pump? (1992)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I unplug my fuel pump? (1992)

Fuel pump to wiring harness pig tail connector.

I can't seem to get these two to separate so that I can check to see if my fuel pump is getting voltage. What do I pry, with what? (I don't hear it when I turn the key to the ON position, where it sits when the truck is running.)

I'm going to put a wrench on the crank to make sure she's still free, and then I can attempt to use the starter without the worry of grinding off starter or flywheel teeth. (ATF in the spark plug holes to free a stuck motor is Wayne Carini's lead mechanic's trick, the cool old codger who's older than dirt.)

[I made the stupid mistake of leaving Sluggo Thu Mule in driven or looked after for 5 years, it used to have a high pressure fuel leak, and I had to drove.my Maxima as I had a total knee replacement with "a free case of MRSA" that nearly killed me. Still regretting not getting him back operable 3 years ago when I could have as Fe2O3 has shown up like the factory rust all 914's come with.]

Thanks!

'92 extra cab 4WD V6 TOYota w/185/500k
'01 Maxima Minima GLE w/206k on the clock, too many issues to make worth fixing
'73 914 2.0 w/ engine #GA 3141, DOA, rot got her after I rustored her after purchase, summers of 1995 & 1996. ~155k on her clock, including 10+ track days @ my 2nd home, Summit Point, WV & 2 weekends @ Watkins Glen.
+4 motorcycles, not riding anymore...shattered femur syndrome!
Old 11-09-2016, 12:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If you have not figured this out

You just press down on the tab away from where the wires go in the cover and pull

If it has been on there since new it might be quite hard to get it apart
Old 11-09-2016, 04:15 PM

I did, it barely moves. I thought that was it but it's being a PITA now. Something about being 24 years old perhaps? I even blew it out with my compressor to try and get all the dirt out of it. Will try again tomorrow, it rained here all day and my truck is parked on dirt next to the garage.

Wouldnt a very small flathead work to push down the clip?

thanks
Old 11-10-2016, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, push the tab down and pull the two parts away from each other. There's a rubber O-ring/grommet in there to keep water and debris out and it could be stuck to both connector housings.
Yeah, a small flathead could work, but be careful you don't stab yourself (I've managed to do it a few times).
Old 11-10-2016, 12:06 PM

Red face

Funny how often I have stabbed myself with screw drivers
Old 11-11-2016, 03:25 PM

Question

Wyoming9,

You mean the button looking tab on the left in the first picture, correct?

The PITA is, aside from the fact that they've been connected for 24 years, is that the bloody pig tails are so short and I have massive hands, and the plug affords little to no grip. Anyone used anything to spray in there to loosen a stuck rubber o-ring? If only they put Vasaline in a raddle can!!!

Back at it after dinner, plus the VG auto parts store in town actually gave me the correct drum brake hardware kit, unlike Advance who just rebates the Dorman kit and miscatalogs it so that they gave me the wrong one.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:15 AM

Red face

That is correct !!

Maybe Silicone spray might help