General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Footswitch for Driving Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 08:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Footswitch for Driving Lights

A floor mounted headlight dimmer switch works great as an alternative to the usual toggle switch for driving lights, the one I'm using on my 88 Toyota pickup is from an old Ford, it's mounted in a comfortable position next to the kick panel using 5/16 self drilling sheet metal screws.

Name:  FootSwitch1.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  12.9 KB
Name:  FootSwitch2.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  106.5 KB
Name:  FootSwitch3.jpg
Views: 2921
Size:  86.1 KB
Old 08-29-2016, 09:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a dead pedal in that spot i think. But i like this idea!

My high beam switch recently lost its "pull-to-flash" function and i keep forgetting, going to use it and it flashes a moment of total darkness instead. (At night that is.) This would be a fun alternative mod instead of just a repair.

I've been wanting to add lights to this truck forever, saying as soon as i get a new bumper worth putting them on! Eight years later... Still no lights or bumper. D'oh!
Old 08-29-2016, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what I've been wanting to do as a temporary fix for my combo switch. Mine is loose in the detent or whatever holds the stalk in whichever position you have it in. I end up flashing every time I hit a bump. I don't want to be flashing my lights at a cop and end up a DWI suspect. I've got a couple bad joints in my feet and I'm not sure I could walk the line.

Do you remember what your circuit ended up looking like. I'm not sure which wires to run to the switch.

Last edited by Charchee; 08-29-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:33 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
While this is a good idea in theory.

Having learned to drive with dimmer switches on the floor.

Keep lots of spares the water and mud and other dirt on your boots causes all kinds of problems .

Mine would quit working and need replaced quite often

Now if you never venture off black top and concrete never put up with snow you should be fine

If you want this get a water proof switch not a old style dimmer switch
Old 08-30-2016, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm really not a fan of foot switches. I'm really just wanting to install a toggle that will disable the brights while I'm driving in town. Most of the night driving I do in my old ride is out of town on the gravel where a random high beam flash wouldn't be an issue.