General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-30-2016, 11:13 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Battery will not recharge and alternator is good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is that 7.5 amp breaker that 89 is talking about? would it be found in a carbureted 84 22r engine?
Old 05-20-2008, 02:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think they started the 7.5A fuse in the second gen trucks. I had a quick look in my Haynes manual and didn't see it in the "early" wiring diagrams.
Maybe it's for fuel injected engines only?
Old 05-20-2008, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

Just an FYI IF it turns out to be the alternator... If you aren't running a winch, rock lights and PIAS or Hella's then hit up a wrecking yard for a new/used alternator.

If you ARE running a bunch of junk (Winch, rock lights, PIAS...) you need to have your alternator re-manned, and I highly suggest Boyle's Future Technologies

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=boyle

I sent mine to them because I do run all of the above and after running a winch for 1/2 hour with my PIAS and rock lights on Rocker Knocker (Pritchett in Moab) I tapped out my alternator. The cost is around 170$ but it has been so worth it for me... My 2 cents...
Old 05-22-2008, 10:50 PM

well, the problem is not solved! it appears that the truck was once again running off of the battery. Is it possible for the alternator to be able to run the engine but not charge the battery? When everything was 'running smoothly' again, a friend disconnected the battery and the engine continued running normally. Is there wiring connecting the alternator to the battery that may be corroded? this all happened this morning at home, and my repair manual is at my shop!!
I'm going to replace the alternator tomorrow, but if there is wiring to check id like to do that to. i have a multi meter..?
Old 10-24-2013, 07:26 PM

My $0.02, because i have the same problem, as well as i have a major in electronic engineering, but my OPINION ,is that it very well could be the battery. If the battery discharges too much, this MAY cause the battery to now be a short life cycle battery, same thing with phones and what not.

My problems were; (1)Sound system draining my battery when left on
(2) Starter went out, re-starts killed battery a few times.
(3) Always recharging battery.
I then replaced the starter, works great, got a new alternator, works great, and now i figured the battery has a dead cell. ( Good to replace components anyways yanno?)

If you can, Test the battery a few times over, as well as the alternator. Alternator passing doesn't mean it is good, you may have to run the test a few times before you can actually see its failure. And check and clean connection to the battery, too much corrosion will lead to high resistance to starter and so on. Again, just from my experience and background.

Last edited by Cambamalam; 10-24-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:49 PM

Talking

My Toyota Camry XLE will not stay charged overnight. The battery is new and it will run on the alternator only. BUT...It will be dead and drained in the morning.. I do not have a voltage meter so can I just buy new fuses and replace them all and hope for the fix??????
Old 11-25-2014, 02:50 PM

Parasitic overnight drain on the Camry XLE

I am gona lose my mind! Up in here! I need my car soooo bad and it will not be obedient! Why did this problem occur? What happened to make the fuse go bad or break a relay? It is Thanksgiving and we need to drive the car. It will run on the alterator alone but it drains a brand new battery overnight like a vampire drains blood...all gone!