General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am2 fuse

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am2 fuse

My truck blew the am2 fuse the other day and I replaced it and it was fine for 3 days but now every time you put on in it's blown before you can even do anything. Any help would be nice
Old 03-13-2017, 10:05 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Kasan Blake Shedd
My truck blew the am2 fuse the other day and I replaced it and it was fine for 3 days but now every time you put on in it's blown before you can even do anything. Any help would be nice
What model Escalade are we dealing with?
What have you done to the truck recently?
A problem well-stated is a problem almost solved.
Why not put your truck model-year-engine-transmission on your signature, so we "see" what you have in front of you from where we are? If you have a schematic of your truck (yes, that's your homework), pls post it, too. I have a first-gen Morefunner but am happy to help with second-gens or earlier pickups.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:04 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I am betting it is a BMW Pick up not one of those cheap Government Motors Vehicles

OP it really helps if you tell us what you think you might have
Old 03-13-2017, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
What model Escalade are we dealing with?
What have you done to the truck recently?
A problem well-stated is a problem almost solved.
Why not put your truck model-year-engine-transmission on your signature, so we "see" what you have in front of you from where we are? If you have a schematic of your truck (yes, that's your homework), pls post it, too. I have a first-gen Morefunner but am happy to help with second-gens or earlier pickups.
that was my bad I usually do put it I was just up all night and frustrated with it😤 It's a 94 3.0
Old 03-13-2017, 01:59 PM

that was my bad I usually do put it I was just up all night and frustrated with it😤 It's a 94 3.0
Incomplete answer.
We seem to be more interested and are putting more effort into fixing your truck than you are. I would have to charge you for it
Old 03-13-2017, 04:16 PM

Incomplete answer.
We seem to be more interested and are putting more effort into fixing your truck than you are. I would have to charge you for it
haha it's just been a longggg day. Idk what it's doing by it hasn't had anything done to it in a long time other than the knock sensor. The transmission is a little low on fluid and the timing may be out a little bit but I don't know if that could have anything to do with it. It blew once and I just put a new one in it but now if you put one in it it just blows right then. I just have no experience with that fuse and what could short it out. Maybe the efi relay..? That was my guess but I'm not sure
Old 03-14-2017, 12:17 AM

Incomplete answer.
one question you may know. On my truck I do have a cold air intake and it's a tight fit in there. It has rubbed a bare spot in the alternator wire.. and I think maybe another wire right underneath it. It's no doubt hitting them right now with the metal ring around the filter. Could that be the problem? I just don't know if any wires in that area are linked with that fuse.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:07 AM

As far as I know, AM2 supplies 7.5A IGN fuse and whatever goes downstream of it including ignition coil circuit and EFI main relay.
Also supplies 15A EFI fuse that supplies ECU

...now every time you put on in it's blown before you can even do anything...
I'm surprised that the 30-Amp AM2 fuse blows before the 7.5-amp fuse and the 15Amp fuse it supplies. Please inspect wires going from Am2 to above fuses for shorts to ground.
Then, try removing above fuses then turning ignition on. Re-install one fuse at at a time and see if one of them blows the AM2.

... It has rubbed a bare spot in the alternator wire.. and I think maybe another wire right underneath it. It's no doubt hitting them right now with the metal ring around the filter. Could that be the problem? I just don't know if any wires in that area are linked with that fuse.
If you know or suspect that there are wires with damaged insulation there, then by all means dive in there and inspect everything.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 03-14-2017 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:34 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
To state the obvious, wires should not have worn spots in the insulation and even worse, they shouldn't be shorted to a metal object that's likely grounded. Could get some of that liquid electrical tape for a temp fix, but replacing the wire might be a better long term solution.

So I guess you have a 94 pickup, not the 4runner (a lot of people call 4runners trucks too).

Based on a 92 pickup (I don't have an EWD for 94), AM2 fue provides power directly to ignition switch and 15A EFI fuse.