General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 Pickup Ground Wire Location

Old 08-06-2015, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 Pickup Ground Wire Location

Hi all, I am trying to fix some issues with the wiring on my 1986 Pickup 22r. The problem I am currently facing is a broken ground wire. The wire is bolted to the dash below the drivers' side speaker location. I believe the ground is for the horn/hazards as that is the only part of the electrical system not working. Since the end of the wire has broken off, I need to know where it attaches in order to reconnect it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Here are some pictures of the wire:

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Someone installed that at some time.

If it was factory in that location it would be on the door post with the rest

Most all the factory ground wires are White /Black stripe like those on the left in the picture
Old 08-07-2015, 05:27 AM

Ahh I see. Thanks
Old 08-07-2015, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
On the horn issue, usually the little post that contacts the back of the steering wheel is worn down. I just put a .22 shell over that post to make up the distance that is worn down. I think I have it listed on my 88 runner build below, on the first page if you want to check it out and see how I fix mine.

Wyoming is right, that is not a factory ground, but if it is indeed a ground wire for an aftermarket item, you can run it to the post on the door frame. Your second picture is showing some black/white ground wire properly grounded like they should be. I pull the bolt out and clean the surface underneath it with a wire brush for better contact. Toyotas love their grounds.

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-07-2015 at 06:02 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:15 AM

Red face

Sometimes horns just die of old age and quit working .

Thinking about this I venture what ever that black wire was for has been removed and the wire just cut.

Last edited by wyoming9; 08-07-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the input Terry- I already performed that exact fix as a matter of fact.

The problem that I'm having isn't just the horn simply not working. There is a short in the horn/hazards circuit somewhere that I'm trying to track down. If I put a new fuse in, as soon as I turn the key the fuse blows.

This problem has been there since I bought the truck. The PO had a 40 amp fuse in the circuit (where a 10 amp should go. Dangerous!) but it was also blown. I'm just now getting around to the issue since my truck hasn't had an engine in it since November and I'm about to put the engine back in. (I really need to update my build thread, just have gotten lazy and haven't made the time)
Old 08-07-2015, 10:54 PM

Red face

Since the Hazard/Horn circuit is always powered .

if the short is in that circuit it should open as the fuse is pushed into the block

No telling what might have been done after seeing the cut ground wire.

Since there was a 40 amp fuse in there and the wire harness and truck was not a melted pile of metal.

What was being run off that circuit that has been removed??
Old 08-08-2015, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I would suspect where it is possibly shorting out is where the wire harness comes from out of the inner fender and runs up to the horn itself is the most likely place that it has rubbed some of the insulation off. It will be on the passenger side.

Other issue I wonder is if they tried to use that circuit for some aftermarket equipment. When troubleshooting electrical issues on these trucks, the first thing I check for and take back to stock wiring is the stereo and trailer hitch tow wiring that may have been hard wired in. Those two things are the biggest wiring problems I find.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:43 AM

Man, I really have no idea wyoming.

I'll definitely check those spots Terry, thanks.

You're spot on with that. The two worst wiring jobs on the truck were the trailer harness, which I already corrected, and the radio wiring, which I haven't quite gotten around to yet. The stereo wiring is the worst hack job I've ever seen. I'll likely just remove the stereo, clean up the wiring, and go without one until I have the time to put a whole sound system in and do it right.

My biggest pet peeve in auto is wiring. I can't stand tapping into anything or any kind of messy wiring. I plan on adding two fuse boxes to this truck- one in the interior (a Painless unit that has 4 switched and 3 constant circuits) and one in the engine bay (a relay box that I got from the junkyard and will completely rewire for my purpose). That way anything I want to add in the interior I will wire into my interior aux fuse box, and anything I want to add on the exterior I'll wire into my exterior relay box. I really like relays not only for the safety factor, but because they make wiring much neater. With any exterior accessories, I will only need to have a small signal wire running into the cab for the switch and nothing else.

Some might call this all overkill, but that's just how picky I am about wiring.