General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 v6 pickup - voltage on dashboard question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 v6 pickup - voltage on dashboard question

Hi,

Apologies for my lack of knowledge/correct terms. I just bought a 1994 v6 4x4 pick up. Had a 22re a few years back, sold it, regretted it, and am very happy to get my hands on this baby.

The voltage reader on the dashboard slightly flickers when my turn signal is on. Basicallly when the turning light is on, the voltage drops down slightly and when the light goes off it moves back up. Similarly, when I turn on headlights the voltage reader drops down slightly. No A/C installed in truck so can't test that power source but the flicker doesn't occur when radio is on. Only when lights are used.

Anyone have this same problem and/or solution to fixing? my old 22re didn't do this so I'm assuming the v6 shouldn't either.

Thanks,
Rey
Old 05-17-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Might be weak alternator , or slow voltage regulator. The radio draws a very small current, so the meter might not react to that.

Check and clean all grounds before you do anything else.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks
Old 05-18-2017, 10:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It might just be old age and how the gauge voltage is supplied off the cluster.

The coil on the flasher pulling on and off causing the Volt Meter to react I have had some Toyota`s do this and others that did not.

The head lights with tail lights are a decent load and will cause some voltmeters to move the stock ones quite a bit.

You can try reading the voltage off the battery see if that drops as well .

If you really want to fix this it might get involved or be simple .