General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 Yota headlight upgrade ????

Old 12-16-2016, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 Yota headlight upgrade ????

I just bought a 1993 Toyota pickup extended cab. The stock headlights are pretty dim so i'm looking to upgrade. I've seen the Hella kit you can get along with a couple other options. I was curious what people would recommend for a brighter upgrade. I've also seen an LED option but i'm not sure how those are for people. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-22-2016, 07:50 PM

In the middle of upgrading my 94. I went with the autopal e-code (euro version). They're MUCH cheaper and from what I understand, very comparable to the hella e-codes. The cool thing about switching to either option is ditching sealed beam headlights and moving to an H4 style. So once either option is installed, you have two more options for even more light. Better bulbs. I think the autopals come stock with 60/55W bulbs, you can get much brighter ones. The problem is, the stock wiring isn't really meant to handle those sort of headlights. So you will want to switch over to a relay system. Not only will the truck be able to handle these more powerful headlights, they will also give them more power. You don't have to get brighter bulbs. I won't be.

My plan is autopals for a bit. Then relay. And if I'm still not happy, better bulbs.

I got these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-95-TOYOTA...-/330397530576

I will be most likely doing the relay stuff myself. These links can help you out:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...adlights.shtml
http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/Wiri...ightRelays.htm
There are relay kits on eBay and other sellers, but do a little research before pulling the trigger on one. Thanks Co_94_PU

Hope that helps! I've also read that swapping out the headlamps can be a pain because of the grille and people suggested buying grille clips before working on it because they break easy. Guess I'll find out soon enough

Last edited by pnwadv; 12-23-2016 at 09:04 AM. Reason: fixing
Old 12-22-2016, 09:43 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Either that harness is flawed or the photos are, it is grounded on the wrong terminal at the lights and would need checked out and re-pinned . I'm considering one of the ebay cheap harnesses just to get all the plugs at once. Very few of them give the wire gauge or a diagram, both of which are kind of important when choosing!
Old 12-23-2016, 07:17 AM

No clue, just giving the guy a place to start and another reason why I'll be wiring my own
Old 12-23-2016, 08:49 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by pnwadv
No clue, just giving the guy a place to start and another reason why I'll be wiring my own
No worries. Just a little reconfiguring needed for something like that and the other links show how it should be. More concerning is the lack of the wire specs, but even with the same size Toyota used you will have better light output just by not running high current thru the switch. So that is more my personal irritation that they are just another reseller.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
This is how those Autopals are with a harness and philips xtremes. A bit of scattered light up top but nice cutoff for reflective housing.

And when I upgraded to HID w/Mini H1 projectors.

Search this Thread