General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 4runner brake light issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 4runner brake light issue

My new to me 4runner appears to have two personalities, with the lights off the brake lights work just fine. With the lights on it appears that the running light and brake light filament are both illuminated at the same time.. Mind you it's only on the drivers side as well... Any suggestions out there would be much appreciated..

thanks,

rick
Old 11-28-2012, 02:47 PM

so i did a little research on it and the running lights and the stoplights are pretty simple as far as wiring goes. the running lights hot wire runs thru the headlamp switch. which interrupts the circut. The stoplight hot wire runs thru the stoplight switch (on the brake pedal) and they share the same ground wire.
So basically they have completely separate systems to run each filament in the bulb. the only thing i can think of is maybe you have a short in one of your hot wires. i would look at the wires coming out of the back of the taillight housing they are exposed a little there. or it could be as simple as a bad bulb.

does your truck have trailer lights? someone else's funky wiring job could have something to do with it.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2toys
so i did a little research on it and the running lights and the stoplights are pretty simple as far as wiring goes. the running lights hot wire runs thru the headlamp switch. which interrupts the circut. The stoplight hot wire runs thru the stoplight switch (on the brake pedal) and they share the same ground wire.
So basically they have completely separate systems to run each filament in the bulb. the only thing i can think of is maybe you have a short in one of your hot wires. i would look at the wires coming out of the back of the taillight housing they are exposed a little there. or it could be as simple as a bad bulb.

does your truck have trailer lights? someone else's funky wiring job could have something to do with it.
No trailer lights, I'll check the wires. I replaced the bulb but that was when there was no brake light, this new one could possibly be FUBAR, thanks for the research

Rick
Old 11-29-2012, 07:29 AM

just to clarify when u say there was no brake light do u mean there was no bulb / bulb wasn't working. or there was no taillight housing.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by 2toys
just to clarify when u say there was no brake light do u mean there was no bulb / bulb wasn't working. or there was no taillight housing.
Everything was installed just that when I turned the lights on both brake and running light filament were illuminated at the same time, that was a new bulb too.. Last night I replaced the bulb and it seems to be working now, could have been a faulty bulb, I'll drive for a bit and see if it holds up. Otherwise it's possible there's a short if it happens again..
Old 11-29-2012, 08:26 AM

good to know. never heard of a bulb doing that must be some quality chinese engineering. lol
Old 11-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Check the bulbs, might be someone installed single filament bulbs (1156) instead of dual filament (1157) or they could be bad bulbs (internally shorted).

Bad ground connection at the rear lamp is also likely. As noted, dual filament bulb, common ground. If ground is missing, then you have both filaments in series and you get both filaments lighting at the same time. Have had this problem on my VW a couple of times.