General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 pickup 22re - no spark. I have tried all I can think of to do . Please help!

Old 01-30-2016, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
post sent to different subcategory, admins please delete. Sorry for the confusion!

1986 toyota 4x4 pickup, 22re, no spark despite strenuous efforts.

7-8 years ago I had replaced the igniter / coil with an igniter and box style coil from a 1995 truck using butt connectors to plug in the newer unit (˟˟˟˟ty, I know) because I liked the clip-on plug wires that the newer units used. With that I also updated to newer style distributor cap.

The problem started when I went to fix a bad front timing cover oil leak a week ago. I had gotten it all put back together, it was idling fine (making some noise, I think it was coming from water pump - will get to that in a minute), burping the radiator, and then just all of a sudden died, and would not fire back up. Checked all fuses, all connections, grounds, and had 12 volts on both ends of the primary coil lead, but no fire at the spark plugs.

I eventually replaced the coil, and it fired right up.

So I took it to my friends house to diagnose the noise, and when I tried to leave, no spark again...replaced coil again...fired right up. On my way home, while accelerating, something suddenly happened AGAIN and it just stopped accelerating, despite throttle input. I pulled over and it just died...no spark.

I elected to take the truck back to factory style igniter and coil. Ordered everything from Oreillys - factory style igniter with plugs that match factory style plugs (eliminating ˟˟˟˟ty butt connector wiring), got an Accell super coil (round cylinder type coil), original spec cap, button and wires.

Go to crank - no spark. swap the positive / negative leads on the coil - no spark. Block ground to chassis / body is good. Fuses are good.

Any ides / helpful pointers from any of the guru's out there? I am at a total loss...solving electrical gremlins are not my strong suit.

Thanks yall!

Last edited by dixiemuddtoy; 01-30-2016 at 03:37 PM. Reason: repurposed post to a better sub category (86-95 trucks / 4runners), admins please delete this post. Sorry for the confusion!
Old 01-31-2016, 12:06 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Poor quality or bad new parts out of the box.

Wires on correct.

It is so simple to get them on wrong I do it all the time.

Coil wire plugged in making a good connection.

The connection to the igniter Corroded ??

The ECU get wet?? poor connection on that end??

Since you changed every thing around you still have no idea of the original problem.

Now you may have added a second problem into the mix