General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 4runner melted engine fuse box/block questions

Old 01-14-2016, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 4runner melted engine fuse box/block questions

Hey guys, so I got a couple problems with my 1986 4runner with a 7mge swap. Here is the back story I've had this 4runner for a little over 3 years haven't had many issues but the PO did some sketch wiring and I planned on replacing the wiring harness and all connections he completed. well few months ago during summer I took the top off for the first time, and a week later went to work that night got home at 3am and I saw fire trucks wondered what was going on. Then I received a call saying my truck had caught fire. So that's the issue, wiring harness burned, fuse box gone, the fire didn't get to out of hand. I just got a new harness off ebay for the engine but I'm trying to figure out my best option for the fuse block that is completely gone. what do you guys think I cant seem to find a fuse box anywhere just covers, and Toyota doesn't make any and the dealership doesn't have any in stock...neither do the local pull and saves. So I guess would my best option to be replacing the whole block or? I have the wiring diagram, I just want to get this thing back on the road better than before and not as sketchy where this happens again. let me know if there is any other information you guys need and ill try to answer.

thanks for any input and help guys
Old 01-14-2016, 11:10 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Find a used one .quite a few parting out that year trucks.

Just make one out of any of the assorted aftermarket load distribution centers.

Unless your looking for the original type of look.

What was the cause of the fire ??

Good thing someone took notice of it.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:56 PM

Hey this might be a dumb question but it seems like it will work in my head. But I'm not a wiring guy really. I got a fuse box from a 1990 4runner like picture.... so here is my plan since I got it for free, use the 90 wiring diagram and the 86 and wire in the AM1 and AM2 and the 80A ALT that I assume is the same thing as the 80AMP glow, and the haz/horn, and replace one of the others with a 7.5 for the charge and wire it. Then have a separate wiring harness/relay for the headlights (simple upgrade) better light output from what I've read. Then just unplug all the relays/ fuses that I'm not using since EFI is in the drive kick panel and not using headlight, etc. Sorry if this is a completely dumb idea but it seems like it would be easy to do it that way. Any suggestions or input is welcome.

Thanks for all the help.

the fuse box originally in my truck

1990 4runner fuse box that I have

Old 01-15-2016, 02:04 PM

O yea the firesfighters/report said battery blew up, that's where it started followed the harness and spark plug wires across the engine and burned up the brake booster fluid holder. So I am assuming had a short some where and the battery blew, never knew a battery could blow like that and cause a fire, thought it would just die. It was weird though, the top was off and the truck had been parked since 5 pm and I left for work at midnight and returned home in my other car at 3am and there she was still smoking. So 8 1/2 hours sitting then bam all of a sudden but I guess that is what happens when you got sketch wiring and don't completely replace all the previous wiring.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:16 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

As long as you repin all the connections as needed on the new fuse block you should be good.

Making sure all connections are good and clean and tight.

Any melted or damaged wire replaced.

Making sure your Ebay harness is not corroded from sitting and all the connectors are in good shape with no broken clips
Old 01-20-2016, 06:12 PM

hey man thanks for all the replies and helpin me out with all the questions I had.