General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1976 Hilux Headlight Issue

Old 07-11-2016, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1976 Hilux Headlight Issue

Hey guys!

I recently Picked up a 1976 hilux Chinook and I'm trying to troubleshoot this little electrical problem that has me stumped.

Heres what happens:

Pull knob for lights - dash lights up, all running lights come on.. but no low beams...

Pull knob further for highbeams - high beams come on in full, high beam indicator lights up.

As far as i can see there is NO fuse for the headlights on this model?
i can take out every fuse in the fuse box (none of which are labeled for headlights) and the high beams will still come on...

I tested the Relay with a brand new replacement (which was not easy to come by) and had the exact same results.

I multimeter tested the female leads that connect to the sealed beam headlight, and got no reading from the low beam connector with knob at low... so theres clearly no power going to the lamps when set the knob to low beams...

now before i go and tear out all the wiring i was wondering if anybody might have any ideas or something else i can try to pinpoint the problem.

thanks! I appreciate any advice!
Old 07-12-2016, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights come on when you pull knob to second position. High/low beams are controlled by turn signal switch. Back for low forward for high.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
^This. At least it's that way on my 75. Check your turn signal lever to make sure it's not flipped in the high beam position. I don't think I found any relay or fuse for the headlights either, but haven't really looked too hard since mine work...except my hazard lights (I think it's the switch itself)

Search this Thread