Performance Enhancements Enhancements to improve your performance

2nd Gen 4Runner - Borla Muffler Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 04:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2nd Gen 4Runner - Borla Muffler Install

Borla muffler install
By UKMeyers

After waiting patiently for 2 weeks (well actually it was quite impatiently) I got my Borla in the mail on Friday. It came in a smaller box than I expected. Upon opening the box I found 3 pieces of the exhaust plus a really cool hat and some great stickers too. The directions were kind of fuzzy, pretty crappy copy but it was pretty simple to put the setup together. Thanks to Cliff for his help once again!

The first thing that threw me off was the place for the O2 sensor in front of the muffler but behind the cat. The O2 sensor on my rig is in front of the cat. It quickly became obvious that the particular piece that goes from the muffler to the cat is universal. To fix the O2 sensor hole the kit comes with a gasket, and a plate to put over it. Seems strange but whatever. The whole kit contains that setup, a piece to run from the Cat to muffler and another piece that runs from the muffler back. Comes with a real nice shiny tip too!

The next step was to remove the old exhaust. I recommend going out the night before and spray the bolts that bolt up to the Cat as well as all the hanger rubbers. My bolts luckily came right out without breaking off and after popping out a few hangers the old exhaust was sitting in the lawn. Be careful with your bolts because the kit DOES NOT come with new ones or a new gasket for the flange on the Cat, you’ll have to reuse the one that comes out.

Next we started to line up the Borla and found out that the piece running from the Cat to the muffler(remember the one I figured out was universal?) was about 4 inches TOO LONG!! I was kinda torqued about this since I just spent $400 on an exhaust and it didn’t fit. Anyways to remedy the problem we busted out the hacksaw and cut a piece off. We crawled back under the truck and started fitting up the flange and found the angle was slightly off! To fix this we lined it up best as possible and started tightening the bolts a little bit. Luckily it pulled together and all was well. Any more of that bad bend and we would had some major problems.

The last step was to get everything back in the hangers, which all the hangers lined up good. Was about the only thing in the whole kit that was great! Tighten up the clamps on either side of the muffler and your done!

Obviously the last thing to do is fire it up and get a big ol grin on your face!! First thing we did after starting it was to lay under the truck with one guy and have another guy stick your hand (with a big glove on of course) over the end of the pipe for a couple of seconds and check for leaks. There were none so all was good! The Borla sounds really good on the truck. It puts out a nice low rumble and is barely any louder than the stock. In fact at speed you can’t tell it’s on there unless you roll down the window. As far as performance goes I can definitely tell I have some more pep. The most noticeable is when you are lugging it a bit and step on it without downshifting. As all 2nd Gen owners know the 3.0 is gutless till it hits that 3 grand “powerband”. Now I notice I start getting power at about 2 grand. It seems to cruise nicer down the road at highway speeds too, like the engine isn’t working as hard. Not sure what it will do to my mileage because I am always on the gas lately so I can hear it..hahaha.

One more thing you will notice is that it will have a stange smell coming from it for a few days after the install. I have read that this is normal and not to worry it goes away. I hope this helps anyone thinking of going to a Catback and I would say, whether it be Borla or not the power increase is noticeable and the sound of something aftermarket rocks!! Definitely a worthwhile mod!

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 12-31-2005 at 04:11 PM.