Off Road Enhancements Enhancements to improve your off road travels

Air to spare with a Power Tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Air to spare with a Power Tank

Corey demonstrates the installation and uses of a PowerTank; a source of onboard air that takes all the worry out of airing down as well as having other neat uses.

Power Tank

Installed in a 2nd gen 4Runner

I bought my Power Tank for the peace of mind to be able to air the tires back up quickly after a trail ride. It does a fantastic job in airing them back up very quickly. When airing back up, I set the regulator to 150 PSI. When running air tools, I turn it down to about 110 PSI. When I use my 1/2" impact wrench, it takes the needle down to about 90 PSI which is about right for air tools. So setting the regulator at 110 works best for air tools.

I wanted to carry my Power Tank in my 4Runner instead of having it on the outside somewhere. Since my 2nd gen does not have the cool roll bar (yeah, I'm jealous of you 1st gen guy's) like the 1st gens do, I had a local welder fab me up a mini roll bar to hold the fire extinguisher type bracket that then holds the C02 tank.

It turned out real good. If I could do it all over again though, I would have gone for a whole roll bar like the 1st gens do. I have a cargo box also in the rear, and I could have made it bigger if the C02 tank was up in the air on a full size roll bar instead of on the floor like my current setup.

I use the Power Tank quite often to check my tire pressure about once a month too instead of firing up my little noisy 12 V compressor. Plus it's nice to be able to fill the tire fast. When airing back up the tires from 20 PSI to 35 PSI, it takes just a few seconds compared to a few minutes or more with a compressor. The Power Tank is way faster than any service station compressor to.

Below are a few pictures of the installation.

I have a video here of me using the 1/2" impact wrench to change over too my winter tires the fall of 2001. To air the tires back up I just bought this cool gauge from Griots Garage. I mainly buy my wax and detail supplies from them, but they have a lot of cool gadgets you won't find elsewhere.

Link to tire gun.

What's cool about the tire gun is it has a connector on it that stays put on your tires, and you only have to use one hand to air back up, or bleed out air. The other end of the line hooks to the C02 tank, or any air source for that matter. Squeeze the trigger half way and it bleeds air out. Squeeze it all the way and it inflates.

I have not used this inflator/gauge yet for trail use, but I will try it next time I'm out instead of using my screw on type from Sun Performance that are the same as the Oasis ones. This way I don't need to turn on the C02 tank, I would just hook up the Griot's gauge and bleed each tire down to the desired PSI. I think this may be even quicker than using the screw on deflators since I won't have to put a gauge on them afterwards to check them since the Griot's one has the gauge already in it.

My setup is also featured on Power Tanks "mounting page".

For a real good review on the Power Tank, see the article on Rock Crawler's forum & Tech site. http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...tank/index.asp

If you choose to do this mod good luck, and if you have any questions contact Corey on the Yotatech Forum.