Maintenance & Repair Care and feeding of your rig

TRD Transmission Cooler - 3rd Gen 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 07:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

By Jacksonpt

Jacksonpt shows you how to install a TRD tranny cooler on a 3rd gen 4Runner.

Here's how the install went for me:

- unpack everything and make sure you have all the necessary parts.
- remove the gravel pan/skid plates (if you have them)
- assemble the transmission cooler -- only hand tighten hardware at this point:

- remove the yellow plastic plugs in the fittings of the cooler

- install lord mounts and nylon lock nuts to outer holes. Make sure the lord mounts can rotate.

- install 90-degree fittings

- do not install any brackets at this time (the TRD instructions say to, but it's easier this way, or at least I thought it was easier this way.

- install brackets as shown in photos 3 and 4 -- again, only hand tighten at this point

- The two lower brackets use the 10mm bolts, the top right bracket uses a 7mm bolt, and the top left bracket uses an existing bolt. NOTE: the brackets use bolts that are included, and existing nuts that are welded to the 4Runner. You will not need nuts from the kit. If you notice in picture 3, the bracket on the left uses a much longer bolt. The nut that was intended to be used with the bolt from the kit was not usable for me. The threads were loaded with gunk, so the bolt would not take. I had to use a spare bolt/lock washer/nut that I had laying around. You should be able to use the bolt that come with the kit.

- hold the cooler up to the brackets and check to make sure that the mounting points are aligned. An extra set of hands may be helpful. The flexibility of the lord mounts allows for some leeway here. NOTE: This is the only part of the install that I didn't like... seemed very arbitrary to me... seems like a TRD part should have had a more precise fit. If you weren't already suspicious of this, you'll see what I mean.

- once everything is lined up, mount the cooler. The lord mounts thread into the brackets. Simply line them up, and turn the lord mounts to thread into the bracket. See images 5 and 6.

- Tighten everything down, but be careful with the nylon lock nuts... because they are nylon, they can strip if you tighten them too far. Get them good and snug and they will be fine. This is a good time to take a breather if you need to. Up next: the hoses!

- Now it's time to run the hoses. If you crawl under the car and look at the passenger side of the transmission, there are 2 lines (see image 10)... a front and a rear line.

- On my '96 model (probably the same for all 3rd gens), the front line is the send line (carries hot fluid from the tranny to the radiator), and the rear line is the return line (carries fluid from the radiator back to the tranny). You need to disconnect the return line . see image below

- When you disconnect it, you will probably have some (a little) tranny fluid spill out. Don't worry, it should only be the fluid left in the line... nothing to worry about, but you will want to have a shop towel or 2 around to catch/clean up the mess. Disconnect the line from the radiator, and from the steel line to the tranny. Disconnecting the hose from the steel line may be difficult because space is kind of limited... I ended up slicing (with a utility knife) the length of the hose along the fitting. Don't worry, you won't need this hose.

- Once it is removed, loosely attach the hose that came with the cooler to the steel like to the tranny. Use the included hose clamp.

- Run the hose to the 90-degree fitting on the cooler... either one is ok.

- Before you cut the hose, consider how the hose is run, and where the second hose will be run... i.e. rubbing, heat, etc that may wear on the hose. I ran mine around the passenger side tow hook and zip tied it down to help prevent rubbing, and to keep the hoses away from sharp corners and the like.

- Once you are happy with the way the hose are run, cut the hose, and loosely attach it to the fitting. When you cut the hose, make sure you leave yourself enough slack (probably about 3 inches worth) to be able to slide the hoses on all the way to ensure a good fit. NOTE: Be sure to consider the fact that the supplied hose has to run from the steel tranny line to the cooler, and then from the cooler to the radiator. So you will want to run the hose fairly directly, unless you don't mind buying more hose.

- Run the remaining hose from the remaining fitting to the radiator. You will need to use the supplied hose clamp at the radiator end, but not at the cooler end. Loosely connect the hose at both ends

- Once you've got the lines run how you want them, use the supplied mesh sleeve for protection at any contact/rubbing points. Use the included zip ties to help secure the lines and reduce rubbing. See images 7 and 8.

- Tighten all fittings. You need hose clamps at the steel tranny line connection, and at the radiator connection, but not at either cooler connection.

- Once everything is tightened down, start 'er up and check for leaks. If there are no leaks, take a 10 or 15 minute drive and check your tranny fluid... you may have to add some, you may not.

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 01-14-2006 at 07:47 PM.