Notices
Maintenance & Repair Care and feeding of your rig

Rancho Add-A-Leafs - 1st Gen 4Runner

Old 01-14-2006, 07:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Rancho Add-A-Leafs - 1st Gen 4Runner

Rancho Add A Leafs - 1st Gen 4Runner
By Toddski

Toddski shows you how to install Rancho Add-a-leafs (AAL) to cure the rear sag on the rear of his '88 4Runner.

Instructions
I started by soaking the u-bolts with some WD-40. Removed the 4 u-bolts and swung the shock holder out of the way. Good time to clean the shocks

Next I soaked the leaf's center bolt. This was tough to remove. You need to use some vice grips to hold the bolt head then try to remove the nut. It took a while to finally get it to break loose. Once the center bolt was out I lowered the pumpkin jack and the whole axle dropped far enough to allow separation of the leafs.

Make sure before you lower the axle that you remove the parking brake cable from the drum. Its just a small pin that you remove and the cable is free. Make sure the parking brake is OFF!

I installed the add-a-leaf between the helper spring and the bottom leaf. We used a center punch to line the holes up for the center bolt. YOU will need a new longer center bolt. I purchased mine from Paul at Les Schwab tire's.

Once the center bolt is installed you need to raise the pumpkin jack up to the leaf's.

Well it comes to find out that there is a hole in the axle where the center bolt head rests in. And of course the hole in the axle and the center bolt do not line up.

So what we did was use a come-a-long wrapped around the axle and the other end anchored to the frame. I know thats probably not the best solution but you only need to move the axle about an inch forward. Once you get the center bolt lined up raise the pumpkin jack up all the way.

Swing the shock holder plate back into position and install the u-bolts. Now that you have a thicker leaf pack, the u-bolts are not going to be as long.

Before I started I had about 4 threads showing on the u-bolts. When I finished I had about one thread showing. So it might be a good idea to purchase longer u-bolts. In the end I gained 2.75" of lift on the passenger side and 3" on the drivers side. Plus I now have an arc to my leafs where before they sat flat against the axle.

Before picture:

After picture:

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 01-14-2006 at 08:00 PM.