Electrical Electrical and wiring

Turn signals into marker lights.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 09:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Turn signals into marker lights.

This mod will make your turn signals in the bumper work as extra marker lights. This was done on my 98 Taco with an ARB bumper but the same concept should work on anything, would prolly even be easer with stock turn signals due to the socket fitting better. Sorry for a lack of good pics, This is my first write up and I kept forgetting to take pics.

What you will need:
Socket for double filament bulb got mine here http://stores.ebay.com/Discount-City-Pa
double filament bulb (AutoZone or anywhere)
clear lenses (optional) here for ARB http://www.gamiviti.com/

First step was to take the light out of the bumper. Then take out the existing light bulb (you could take out the whole socket depending what socket your putting in) The socket I got worked well, it is a universal metal socket, i just had to bend the edges down to make it fit, this also made it fit snugly. The only problem with my socket was that the only ground is the housing... when going into a plastic housing that doesn't work real well. what I did was leave the metal part of the ARB socket (also sorta works as a reflector) in the plastic and used the ARB ground wire.

I next attached the ground wire to the ground wire from the truck. then the wires from the socket were not marked, so I turned the 4-ways on and touched each of the wires from the socket to the turn signal wire, use the brighter filament as the turn signal, just attach it to the turn signal wire coming from the truck. For the parking lights i simply spliced a wire onto the wire at my parking lights (green on my truck) and ran it down to the other wire on the new socket.
The bumper lights now come on as extra marker lights.

You'll have to excuse the fact that the truck is 1/2 way into a body lift so the driver's side of the cab is jacked up.

Sorry again for the lack of pics. also i'm writing this at 2 am so let me know if any of it doesn't make sense.
The following users liked this post:
shootoyota (05-21-2021)