Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
DICE iPod Integration Kit For Vehicles

Article By:
Corey

This is the DICE iPod Integration Kit I purchased from iCarKits.

They say on their website that it will display the text of the MP3 file on the FJammer stereo since it supports text when you play an audio CD or an MP3 or WMA disc you created.
It only displays the song number and the seconds/minutes that the MP3 is into.

I called up DICE and they said they are working on an upgrade for the black box which should fix it later.
I will have to send it in and they can flash it and upgrade the firmware for me.

They have many units available for a wide variety of factory head units, and if yours supports text, they may have one for you.

Even though mine currently does not show the song title on my head unit, I am still very impressed/happy with this unit.
1. It charges the iPod whenever the head unit is turned on/
2. The iPod is turned off until you turn on the head unit.
3. When you turn off the head unit, the iPod also turns off.
4. When you switch to a CD or the radio, the current track that was playing on the iPod will pause so it will pick up where you left off when you select the iPod again from your mode button.
5. The iPod can be controlled from both your head unit, the iPod, and also steering wheel controls if you have them.

All in all, this is one very slick unit and worth the $$$.

OK, on with the installation in my 2007 FJ Cruiser.
Tools needed
Phillips screw driver
10 mm socket and drive

These are all of the parts laid out

They give you good instructions on how to install it.
You do not use all of the plugs, but they are all attached to the cables.

First pop open your hood and disconnect the radio fuse, this is the FJ Cruiser location only

You will loose all of your radios presets for your stations, and also your bass and treble, and any other customization settings.
Bummer, yeah...

The FJammer head unit, big is it not?

Unscrew one screw per side on the plastic trim

After taking out the screws, lift from the top of the dash and pull the pieces back gently.
There are a few plugs on the trim that insert into the dash, so it takes a little effort to pull them away from the dash.

Next unscrew the screws holding the heater control panel on

There are three plugs on the back that you must unplug to get the unit out of the way.
Do not worry, you can not mix them up, they are all different sizes and can only plug back into the correct receptacle.

Next you will see the four 10 mm bolts on the head unit

Take out the four bolts with your 10 mm socket and then lift up on the head unit as there is a plastic tang on each side, and pull the head unit back.
Hook up the DICE units correct plug as shown in the instruction sheet into the one available area.
That is for a CD changer.

Once it is hooked up, you can route the black box anyway you want to.
I just stuffed it in behind the head unit for now, but later I will crack open the dash again and run the cabling and the black box into the glove box.
This way when the upgrade is available to me, I will not have to take apart the dash again.

My cabling now goes in behind the head unit and passes beside and into the glove box.
This way I can store the iPod in the glove box if I want to, but instead I choose to use the Arkon CM330 iPod cup holder mount.

After all the cabling is ran, put your fuse back in for your head unit, close the hood, hook up the dock connector cable to the bottom of the iPod, then fire up your head unit.

On the FJammer head unit you have to push the auxiliary tab next to FM2.
The head unit should detect the iPod and give you the option to push the aux. button once more and CD1 should appear on your head unit as shown below.

It is a pretty straight forward install, and it took me less than one hour to do it all.
If I had to do it all over again, I am sure I could do it in half the time.
Toyota engineers really did it right this time.
You can get the head unit out in just a few minutes, very easy to do.

I give this unit four out of five stars, only because currently I do not have the song text on my head unit.
But they say that will be rectified before to long.
Well heck, then lets just give it a five now

This is so much better than just using a stereo cable in the top of the iPod ran to the FJammers aux. input.

Links to sites mentioned here
DICE Electronics
Model I-TOYOTA-R I purchased
iCarKits website

Any questions about this article, please contact me, Corey
Old 09-17-2006, 09:18 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

New firmware out to cure no song text

Just an update here.
DICE shipped me out a brand new unit that has had a firmware update done to it.

They finally got in a FJ Cruiser, and they got the text for the song info to work.
Instead of me shipping my present unit back to them, they are sending me a new one to make sure it works, and if it does I send them back the original one.

I will keep you updated by amending this article.

Also since the black box was pushed up in behind the head unit, I took apart the dash and put the black box in the glove box.
This will make it a snap to remove the old unit and install the new one as soon as it arrives.

Below is a picture of the unit laying in the glove box.
I will eventually drill a hold in the side of the glove box to allow the data cable to pass through it instead of getting "pinched" at the top of the glove box when it closes.

Any questions about this article, please contact me, Corey.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

New firmware rocks!

Installed the new unit 9-22-2006

The firmware update cured the no song text not showing up.
This fix is for all newer Toyota factory head units.

I highly recommend this unit if you want full iPod control from your factory head unit.

The song title and artist info shows up like it should.

Any questions about this article, please contact me, Corey.