Electrical Electrical and wiring

Blinker Relocate - no wiring modifications req'd

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blinker Relocate - no wiring modifications req'd

Installing a Bentup front bumper precipitated this mod. I've seen two other writeups out there that I did use as inspiration. The one at the 4x4wire site and another TTORA member's Janster site...

Both these other writeups use a dual filament 1157 bulb and an aftermarket socket. Both of these methods include electrical rework. In another thread, Drabnor (RJ) mentioned that a new hole can be drilled into the stock corner light housing and the existing bulb and socket stuffed into the new hole. So here we go.....

The tools of the mod: cordless drill, 1" drill bit, utility knife, files (half-round and 45* / 90* skinny file), bench vise

After marking the desired location (below the plastic fin, on the same plane as the corner light) begin drilling

Here is the hole nearly finished, use the utility knife to finish

The hole was not quite large enough, so using the half-round file remove a few thousands - keep testing the fit. The hole is large enough when you can insert the socket up to the tabs as seen here

Next, remove the rubber gasket from the socket

Using the knife, remove a 'fin' of the socket.

After securing the socket into a vise, use the file to remove some of the edge around 1/4 of the socket. After completing the next step, it may be necessary to come back to this step and remove more.

Accounting for the slight turn to 'lock' the socket in place, mark and cut the four tabs using the knife - take your time and remove a little bit each time. If you have a small/narrow file with 90* corner, this helps to clean up the cuts. Take your time and keep test fitting the socket.

After putting the rubber gasket back on the socket (and cleaning out the plastic shavings - distilled water does work), install the light bulb (mine were already orange), install the socket into the housing.

Reroute the stock wiring

Connect the wiring to the lamp assy

Reinstall the housing onto the truck and repeat for the other side.

Here the light is off

And here the light is on

As for cheap - this didn't cost me a dime. Took me may be 2 hours to do both.

Rick

Added information... I've had this mod for a month or so now. During this time I've noticed a small bubble appearing on the lens (drivers side). What I think has happened is I didn't get the hole I drilled as far inboard as I should have and the bulb touches the lens. Despite the bulb is not on constantly, the heat generated is sufficient enough to cause this bubble... I don't have a similar problem on the passenger side...

Last edited by pray4surf; 08-13-2008 at 01:39 PM.