Appearance Appearance, interior enhancements

iPod Mount For Cup Holders (FJ Cruiser & Other Rigs With Front Cup Holders)

Old 08-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
iPod Mount For Cup Holders (FJ Cruiser & Other Rigs With Front Cup Holders)

Article by:
Corey

This was a very simple mod, and it came to me as I was watching TV relaxing the other day when I got home from work.

The FJ Cruiser has two cup holders on the console.
And inside of each cup holder is a removable cup holder exposing a slightly bigger hole for larger bottles.

I took the insert for the front cup holder and flipped it upside down and pushed it back into the main cup holder.
Well what do ya know, it fits in nice and tight.
I then took an old squeeze mount I use to use in my 4Runner to hold my little Garmin eTrex GPS and set it on top of the upside down insert.
It fit perfectly on it, then I tired it with the iPod on it, and it was at the correct angle that I could reach down easily to select a different playlist if I wanted to while driving, or even pause the current song playing.

I had some small nits and bolts left over from when the squeeze mount was mounted to another mount to hold it in the 4Runner.

I had a small piece of sheet metal laying around to use as backing inside the insert instead of using washers.
This way it will hold it more securely.

Below are a few pictures of all the parts I used, and the final assembly inside of the FJ Cruiser with the iPod all cued up and ready to rock & roll.

I never use the cup holder up front, the other one is right beside me behind the shifter aways, and I will end up using that one if need be.

The squeeze mount I have is actually a Radio Shack item, but the part number on it brings up some cleaner on their site instead.
The item has probably been discontinued, but I am sure you can find one somewhere.

If you do not feel like doing something like this, there is a commercially available mount from a company called Arkon, and the name of the mount is Arkon CM923 Universal Cup Holder PDA Mount.
www.arkon.com
Scroll down to the CM923 mount
http://arkon.com/pdamount.php

I may even pick up one of these later on, as one of the corners of my squeeze mount is cracked slightly, and breaking around the hole for the bolt.

Any questions about this article, please contact me, Corey.