Blue Blinkers and Silver Face Bezel - 3rd Gen 4Runner

Blue Blinkers and Silver Face Bezel
By Brian Mikami

Add some flash to that dash!

Tools needed
10mm socket with short extension
Small adjustable wrench (Cresent)
Phillips driver

Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. Using the 10mm socket, remove the 4 bolts holding on the lower panel. Pull the panel and let it hang. Next remove the upper two screws on the outer surround (these are visible) just above the gauges. Pull off the ignition surround to expose the 'hidden' screw. (Note rag wrapped around steering column to prevent scratching.)

If you want to install new faces, paint the surround, make colored turn sig arrows, or just change a burned out bulb, here's how to do it.

The other 'hidden' screw (left side) holding the pod surround. There are 4 screws total. There are clips on the lower edge of the surround. Pull off the dimmer knob, and using the adjustable wrench, remove the nut. This Runner had the factory alarm, mine did'nt. The indicator and mic? is next to the dimmer. This is pulled out. 2 press tabs releases the 'guts'. Remember how it goes back in! The pod surround is now ready to be removed. Pull gently, squeeze the upper part and try to finese this piece out...it's kinda tight, but will come out. Now you know why I covered the column...I scratched mine.

Surround removed, 4 screws hold the gauge pod. (Keep these separate, they are shorter than the others)

Angle the pod, and press the 'tab' on the top center of each connector and pull out...they are all taped in sequence and different sized so no screw ups reconnecting.

Gauge pod, gauge surround and lens...all 'press tabs'.

Blue plastic 'slugs' to replace the factory green. Made from clear blue plastic box. I used blue 'Sharpie' to color the 'naked' mini bulbs. On first attempt, they gave off a yellowish glow, turning the blue arrows a blue-green look. I added another 'slug' to intensify the blue. It worked.

Gauge surround painted Hi-temp silver for a 'softer' shine. The stock black faces 'pop' now...nice contrast, even with white faces like mine. Installation is reverse of removal. Reconnect the battery.

Installation complete. Flashers on! Looks good...nicer at night. That's it. Not too dificult. Hope this helps those of you who like to mess with bulbs and stuff...like me.