Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

Viper vs. Python

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper vs. Python

Hi all. Is there a difference between Python and Viper systems? They are both made by the same manufacturer and a lot of the model numbers are similar. Also, the parts look alike, only different emblems...Anyone have any knowledge/experience ragarding the two? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:26 AM

They are the same quality build & I alwasy thought they were exactly the same but I just installed a Python alarm/remotestart for a friend & it seems like the Viper alarms have a cpl more features in programming. That's all & it could have just been the level of alarm in the series.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are very few differences in any of the car alarms - most are made by the same core company, just dressed in different clothes (with different retail markups).

There's a lot of info on the forum about alarms... A few of us here run the Commando FM-870 which includes a 2-way pager, remote start, a ton of programming options, and plenty of additional outputs for controlling other devices (windows, sunroofs, tail hatches, etc). Hard to beat for $170.

http://commandocaralarms.com/
Old 02-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Banned

They're exactly the same. All parts and components are identical and you can use viper parts on a python alarm and vice-versa. You can unplug a python alarm and plug in a viper to the existing wiring and it will work no problem. But what did you expect since they're made by the same company. Only differences are the sticker on the brains themselves and viper alarms cost a little more so its smarter to get a python. Don't even get me started on clifford alarms.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:15 AM

My Experience with both Alarms and remote starts are the Viper has a better reputation and alot more installation techs. Viper has been Top of the line security for vehicles since the early 1990's. I installed two vipers in my cars and they went in and worked like a champ. So I tried to install a Python into my work car because I got a new one for sheap on ebay. It was new and I still havent got it to work. I installed it almost the same as the viper but this python is kicking my butt. My Vipers were more hi end models 5901 on both and the Python is an 871XP. That Damn Pythin Makes me want to crash my car into a telephone pole. I would go Viper Any day of the week. Its user friendly. The remotes are rugged. I bought two more remotes for my Vipers for $80
Old 07-27-2012, 02:11 PM

they are indeed the same company. as stated you typically get more options and outputs ont he vipers, and i believe they have a better warranty over the avital and python name. Other than that there arent many differences. its like a gmc and a chevy, mostly the same just a different badge on them
Old 08-27-2012, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by drpdmazda
they are indeed the same company. as stated you typically get more options and outputs ont he vipers, and i believe they have a better warranty over the avital and python name. Other than that there arent many differences. its like a gmc and a chevy, mostly the same just a different badge on them

OK here is one I have a Viper 160Xl instaled in my 97 Bonneville. So I bought a two way Python kit. It has the identical same wiring in the right spots so I thought I could swap out the main brain and hook up the new antenna and plugged it in the the new brain, the only issue is that the Viper never had an alarm and the python does. Is there any way to deactivate the alarm and just use the system for a two way remote start. The wiring harnesses from the viper to the Pythin matched up perfectly, but when I tried the funtions out, it all went haywire, I wonder if we need to have the security set up. I dont know if anyone can help I would sure appriciate the advice. Take Care
Our neighbor hood is no reason to have an alarm on the 97 Bonnbeville, when I have a 2012 Yukon XL DEnali SS with 5 TV's and gaming system or a 2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:54 AM

I have got the Python 513 Alarm / Electric Start with add on modules. Very satisfied, no issues with my setup and the price was right! I have also owned Viper in the past without issue. Obviously different models have different features and price tags. But, they are both made by the same company. I think a big part of it is marketing..
Old 05-31-2013, 11:39 AM

I just posted this up in another alarm forum question, and the answer applies here..
Here is the straight up skinny.... Viper, Python, Clifford, Avitol, Express and a few others are all owned by the same company. All of them are Directed Electronics products. The boards and internals are virtually all made the same. They are all a quality product of and in themselves.
The true difference in a quality alarm and one that does not work rests 90% on the installation.
How well it works: Does it pick up all the points of entry? Does it respond well at a good distance? Does it work every time? Will it last? All of these questions are directly to related to the actual installation. Did the installer solder all the connections ore use but connectors or did they T-tap? Did the installer garb the wires and info it needs in the right spot or did they get lazy and go for the easiest spot, which sometimes is not the same things. It can make a difference where you pick up ignition source, constant power and door triggers. For example, many many systems have the ability to sense voltage sensing. They monitor the main power input that is connected up and if there is a change ion voltage, it will trigger the alarm. Many installers will use this as the way to trigger the system if the door is opened. This is not a good way to get that trigger and will inevitably cause false alarms. Another is example is using T-taps. very common in the budget alarm install. the t tap will work for a short while but again, inevitably will cause issues. Consider that a car is constantly vibrating and shifting and hot and cold and hot and VERY hot and Very cold and vibrating. It is a rough environment. The best method in my opinion is always going to be good tape and solder. A good quality electrical tape will work amazing. Also Solder and heat shrink, though on the larger wires that are connected to like the ignition, etc, cutting those wires in half and then re soldering can be tricky.

the next important thing is prepping the alarm. A good alarm install, half the time is spent getting the alarm ready to go into the vehicle itself. When I install, I know where the connections are going to be and tape all the wires up in black tape all together so they are running together to the same location. This is how the factory does it, this is how I would do it. It makes for a little longer install, but it makes for a cleaner install. I figure out all the wires running to the kick panel and send them all there. I also run all extra wires not being used to the kick panel, so that in the future, if I need to do something with those inputs and out puts, they are accessible. That leads me to the last thing. Cleanliness of the install. When you look up under the dash, you should not be able to tell what wires were from the factory and what wires were from the alarm. It should all look the same. It should all be taped the same and the brain hidden. No jumble of wires pointing directly t the brain and an easy easy easy bypass.
Where do I draw my opinion? I did this for a living for over 10 years. Started out working at Dalworth CB and Car Stereo, then moved to a shop called Autotronix Custom Car Audio and then to DFW car Stereo. I loved doing alarms, they were my specialty and in every alarm I did, I would try to do the next one better than the last. I would take pride in the work I did. With an alarm, I can do virtually anything that the cars did on its own electronically. Start it , stop it, roll the windows up and down, pop trunks, remote winch, put tops up and down, turn neon on and off, remotely move amp racks. With a re'ay or two or 5 it can be done!!!

So this is my first post here, and you can take it for what it is worth. But I believe ask any good installer and they will tell you the same thing.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:58 AM

They're the same but the Viper is more popular from what I've seen.