Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

Viper 211HV 1998 4Runner SR5

Old 05-30-2012, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper 211HV 1998 4Runner SR5

Okay, I have a viper 211hv keyless entry hooked up in the 98 4runner. it locks, unlocks and command starts while the I think the "aux" button on the remote makes the car flash everything but no horn hooked up yet.

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the Piezo buzzer right? Anyway I am wanting to wire that to whatever wire that makes the car lock/flash parking lights once. So the end result will be = me pressing LOCK, the car locks normally as usual but now it chirps from the piezo buzzer.

Now I have found the piezo buzzer wire and me being the amateur I am with zero knowledge, I tapped the piezo wire (red) into what I believe is the wire that locks the doors because when it is disconnected ( which I found down in the driver side kick panel), I can only unlock the car doors with the remote and not lock. Anyway I did that and the piezo went off and didn't stop. Now whatever common sense I have leads me to believe that there is a constant power going through the door lock wire and thats why the piezo wont chirp once, it just keeps buzzing away?

Help please?
Old 05-31-2012, 07:41 AM

what wire is listed as the horn honk output? ground the piezo ( i ground it at the same point that the brain is grounded) and hook the red wire from the piezo to the horn honk output. in theory it should do what you want. or you could just go into the steering column and hook the actual horn up if you wanted to.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:42 AM

okay i think its brown but can you confirm? This is the viper 211hv wiring diagram

So I should wire the red piezo wire to the brown wire? That is going to suck because whoever installed the viper brain put it in such a awkward place that its behind this giant fold of wires, its hard to tell what the heck is coming out of the brain.
What about the "light flash" output? is that for the parking lights that flash when the doors are locked and unlocked with the remote?

the brown wire makes sense... i looked in my steering column and theres a brown wire that came from the driver side kick panel and was just taped up in the steering column to nothing... i guess they didn't want to wire it to anything?! I'm going to test it in a bit. I figure the piezo buzzer is less annoying than always having the horn beep when i lock the doors.

Last edited by OJ Simpson 4Runner; 05-31-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:21 PM

well i found the brown wire on the viper brain, wired the red piezo wire to it and hit the door lock. nothing..... maybe its just for the horn button on my remote? going to find out now lol
Old 05-31-2012, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by OJ Simpson 4Runner
okay i think its brown but can you confirm? This is the viper 211hv wiring diagram

So I should wire the red piezo wire to the brown wire? That is going to suck because whoever installed the viper brain put it in such a awkward place that its behind this giant fold of wires, its hard to tell what the heck is coming out of the brain.

yes it is the brown wire, but the brown wire for the horn delivers a negative pulse. the piezo needs to see a positive pulse to be activated. You would have to swtich the output of the brown wire from + to - by using a relay.

What about the "light flash" output? is that for the parking lights that flash when the doors are locked and unlocked with the remote?

the light flash output is indeed for your parking lights. it should go up into the sttering column as well.

the brown wire makes sense... i looked in my steering column and theres a brown wire that came from the driver side kick panel and was just taped up in the steering column to nothing...

the factory wire for the horn will be green with red stripe. test with a meter before tying into it just on my suggestion.

i guess they didn't want to wire it to anything?! I'm going to test it in a bit. I figure the piezo buzzer is less annoying than always having the horn beep when i lock the doors.

i never hook up the horn honk on keyless entry or remote start systems unless specifically asked to do so, you could always hook up the horn honk, with an inline fuse accesible that way if it annoys you, you can just pull the fuse and its business as usual instaed of undoing the column to get to the wiring again.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by drpdmazda

i never hook up the horn honk on keyless entry or remote start systems unless specifically asked to do so, you could always hook up the horn honk, with an inline fuse accesible that way if it annoys you, you can just pull the fuse and its business as usual instaed of undoing the column to get to the wiring again.
thanks for the fast replies and now i feel a bit smarter. Okay I'm not even going to mess with the relay because this is clearly out of my capabilities. What if I tap the piezo wire into the light flash output.... ?

I have extremely limited to basically non existent knowledge of electronics like this. I had to google how a relay works and I still dont know. ha

Last edited by OJ Simpson 4Runner; 05-31-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:27 PM

thanks for the fast replies and now i feel a bit smarter. Okay I'm not even going to mess with the relay because this is clearly out of my capabilities. What if I tap the piezo wire into the light flash output.... ?

I have extremely limited to basically non existent knowledge of electronics like this. I had to google how a relay works and I still dont know. ha
the relay can be a pain but is really only 4 wires to make it happen. im not sure if the parking light output would have enough power to do what you want, and it may draw too much current with doing the siren and the lights at the same time. You can test it by hooking it up, but be sure to throw a small fuse in between the piezo wire, and where you tap into the parking lights, that way if its a no go the worst that happens is a blown fuse as opposed to a fried brain for the system
Old 05-31-2012, 07:15 PM

okay .. do I buy a relay or can I simply make one? either way, how do I wire that up? 2nd if I were to wire it right to the parking light flash, how do I go about putting a fuse between them.. thanks again
Old 05-31-2012, 07:29 PM

also, there is a small red box on the red and black piezo wires, the box says 5.0 amps on the end of the box that faces the wire that's going away from the brain and I think it says 0.8 on the end of the box facing the wire going towards the brain.. I skinned the wire before this red box.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:44 AM

also, there is a small red box on the red and black piezo wires, the box says 5.0 amps on the end of the box that faces the wire that's going away from the brain and I think it says 0.8 on the end of the box facing the wire going towards the brain.. I skinned the wire before this red box.

not certain what the boxes in line would be, any pics? here is a link to some relay stuff that should help you figure out switching the polarity

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page1.asp
Old 06-06-2012, 08:04 AM

heres a pic of the red box, im thinking its a fuse?..
Old 06-06-2012, 08:06 AM

heres a pic of the red box, im thinking its a fuse?..
Old 06-06-2012, 10:35 AM

its hard to tell from the pics, because i cant make them larger. it looks alomst like a t-tap used to tap into wires. is it on the wires for the piezo siren?
Old 06-06-2012, 01:08 PM

its hard to tell from the pics, because i cant make them larger. it looks alomst like a t-tap used to tap into wires. is it on the wires for the piezo siren?
Yes the red box is on the piezo wires, both wires actually, on red and black. I will try to get a better picture tomorrow morning. but on the box there looks like there is a small hole on the side for another wire that was there but was cut. Any ideas yet?
Old 06-07-2012, 09:10 AM

Yes the red box is on the piezo wires, both wires actually, on red and black. I will try to get a better picture tomorrow morning. but on the box there looks like there is a small hole on the side for another wire that was there but was cut. Any ideas yet?
they definately seem to be the add a wire clip on things then, possible someone tapped the piezo into the main siren on an alarm prior to you getting it?
Old 06-07-2012, 09:30 AM

they definately seem to be the add a wire clip on things then, possible someone tapped the piezo into the main siren on an alarm prior to you getting it?
possibly, the RS3200 alarm system was never active when i bought the car and the viper keyless/remote starter system that is installed now definitely doesn't have any kind of alarm or siren hooked up to it. Ugh maybe ill just forget about trying to wire the piezo into it.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:17 PM

Good thread