Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

thinking about getting an alarm for my first gen..help

Old 02-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thinking about getting an alarm for my first gen..help

Well my truck got broken into right outside of my house...an alarm would have surely stoped this so i plan on getting something..

Im pretty much decided on the viper 791vx system. my friend who is certified directed installer would do the install for me.

Here are my questions..

my truck is a manual...will this system allow me to use the remote start without any issues?

I have aftermarket power locks...im guessing it shouldnt be a problem to get the vipers keyless hooked up to the power lock brain..am i correct?

will my 4runner be able to take advatange of all of the crap this system offers or am i just throwing away cash? I will be living on campus at ASU soon and definitely want atleast some protection on my truck.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 89macrunner
Well my truck got broken into right outside of my house...an alarm would have surely stoped this so i plan on getting something..

Im pretty much decided on the viper 791vx system. my friend who is certified directed installer would do the install for me.

Here are my questions..

my truck is a manual...will this system allow me to use the remote start without any issues?

I have aftermarket power locks...im guessing it shouldnt be a problem to get the vipers keyless hooked up to the power lock brain..am i correct?

will my 4runner be able to take advatange of all of the crap this system offers or am i just throwing away cash? I will be living on campus at ASU soon and definitely want atleast some protection on my truck.
i didnt look at the specs for that system (it'd be nice if you posted them or a link so no one has to search around), but i can answer most of your questions.

an alarm would NOT have "surely" stopped that break in. break-ins happen all the time with alarms. itll ward off the kids and amateurs but anyone who knows what theyre doing or can do it quick wont be warded off by an alarm. i got one installed on mine recently simply to alert ME when someone is messing with it, i dont trust it to scare off the intruder.

that system most likely is not designed for remote start with a manual. most shops wont even try to install a remote start on a manual. its just not a good idea. if you leave it in gear and start it, youll be in a bad situation. however, it IS possible to do, just not recommended. some companies out there do offer kits for it, but i dont think any have the circuitry to detect if its not in gear.

the alarm should be able to hook into your power locks just fine if your buddy knows where to look. it just provides the motors with power like pressing the button so he really just needs to find the wiring for it.

good luck!
Old 02-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i installed the power locks myself and know exactly where the brain is so it shouldnt be a problem..just need a few minutes with a DMM and they should be moving.

The alarm is to alert me not others...my room is right above the driveway so i would have been able to get outside to threaten the theives with brute force...all 5'5" and 140lbs of me

http://www.viper.com/Products/Produc...?ProductID=104

thats the alarm

I guess ill have to ask my friend to see if he will do the remote start...We both work at best buy and i dont know if they will let him... He is one of those rare install techs that really knows their ลลลล. I wouldnt trust anyone else to do this but him.

If not ill just figure something out with a relay and the clutch start cancel switch..
Old 02-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Originally Posted by 89macrunner
i installed the power locks myself and know exactly where the brain is so it shouldnt be a problem..just need a few minutes with a DMM and they should be moving.

The alarm is to alert me not others...my room is right above the driveway so i would have been able to get outside to threaten the theives with brute force...all 5'5" and 140lbs of me

http://www.viper.com/Products/Produc...?ProductID=104

thats the alarm

I guess ill have to ask my friend to see if he will do the remote start...We both work at best buy and i dont know if they will let him... He is one of those rare install techs that really knows their ลลลล. I wouldnt trust anyone else to do this but him.

If not ill just figure something out with a relay and the clutch start cancel switch..
just be very careful with the remote start. it only takes one time of you leaving it in gear for you to regret ever doing that
Old 03-03-2007, 04:03 PM

Yes, a remote start can safely be done on a manual tranny. Directed has an interface module available for the manual tranny, though I'm not sure of the part #. I use a Compustar alarm/start combo on my truck. It is designed to work with a manual. They are real nice easy on truck with a clutch start cancel switch. Even trucks without the switch have the plug behind the switch panel where the switch wood be. Still works the same with remote start. I've done many of these. I've been installing audio and security for 13 years. For more help, try www.the12volt.com . They are loaded with info in relation to this.