Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

Few questions about alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Few questions about alarm system

Hey guys,

I recently picked up a 1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 with the key fob remote and alarm. I have a few questions about that first. I've attached a picture of the key fob (see fig. 1-1). The top button locks and unlocks the doors. Nothing seems to happen when i press the bottom button, what's that one do?

Also I recently got a Viper alarm system in a trade (see figs. 2-1 through 2-3). It's the Viper 5701 2 way security + remote start. My question to you guys is, can i still use the remote start feature even though i drive a manual if i just leave it in neutral with the parking brake on?

FIG. 1-1

FIG. 2-1

FIG. 2-2

FIG. 2-3
Old 03-21-2011, 08:17 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
sub'd. i want to know if it'll work with a manny tranny, too.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It should, there is a neutral sensor switch that it hooks to and WONT start if it is in gear. I have a similar auto start on mine.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by irab88
sub'd. i want to know if it'll work with a manny tranny, too.
I'll see what answers i get and ill prob end up going to a shop to have them do it.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hey, that first photo of the key fob, I have a slightly different (probably aftermarket) one on my 93 runner but it also has two buttons and 1 is the only one that does anything, 2 doesn't seem to do crap, same deal...

anyway, subscribed!

I know you can get it to work with the manual, you might have to tie into the clutch start cancel control to do it though?.... not real sure just a thought
Old 03-21-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by aa1911
hey, that first photo of the key fob, I have a slightly different (probably aftermarket) one on my 93 runner but it also has two buttons and 1 is the only one that does anything, 2 doesn't seem to do crap, same deal...

anyway, subscribed!

I know you can get it to work with the manual, you might have to tie into the clutch start cancel control to do it though?.... not real sure just a thought
yes you do, and make SURE you pay attn. to how you wire that.. i wasnt the first time and fried my switch.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:08 AM

anyway, subscribed!

Hmm that's strange about the fob, the only thing i can think of is maybe the bottom button gets programmed so you can open your garage?

Anyway, I did a little searching on Vipers site and yes you can use the remote start feature on a manual. I guess doing it through the clutch cancel is the easiest way.

Originally Posted by S.Skinner
yes you do, and make SURE you pay attn. to how you wire that.. i wasnt the first time and fried my switch.
Depending on price, ill have someone else install it. That's WAY too much wiring for me lol
Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 AM

hello

probably not too much wiring for me
Old 03-21-2011, 12:11 PM

hello

probably not too much wiring for me
If you think so man, that is so far beyond my level of comprehension lol
Old 03-21-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
If you think so man, that is so far beyond my level of comprehension lol
is this coming from the guy who's going to do an engine swap?

it's not that bad. as long as i know what wires go where, it'll be fine. it looks like half of them plug into the main box, anyway. if this all goes well, i might be putting one on my truck, too.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:37 PM

Dude, I want a remote start on mine too...that would just be interesting...I didn't know you could have it on a Manual...that's cool!
Old 03-21-2011, 05:53 PM

is this coming from the guy who's going to do an engine swap?

it's not that bad. as long as i know what wires go where, it'll be fine. it looks like half of them plug into the main box, anyway. if this all goes well, i might be putting one on my truck, too.
hahaha idk what it is but when wiring is put in that kind of application it doesn't bother me as much.

Originally Posted by iamsuprman13
Dude, I want a remote start on mine too...that would just be interesting...I didn't know you could have it on a Manual...that's cool!
Yeah, just don't want to park it in a gear and start it lol!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:07 PM

I need a new alarm system to keep the tweekers away my rig when I'm not guarding it with my AK-47....
Old 03-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Take it from a guy who had one of those systems:

Throw it away or sell it. They are nothing but a giant headache, high failure rate parts, and its not worth it to forget you left your truck in gear one day and watch it go driving off down the road while you /faceplam yourself from inside your warm house. Your truck should always be left in gear ANYWAYS when you are not in it.

You have to hack apart your factory wiring, and when that junk fails in a few years you will be tearing it back out. Alarms are completely useless. I can get around your fancy alarm in 3 seconds (they all install the EXACT same way) and steal your truck just the same.

Remember, alarms, Locks, Code, passwords, etc only keep out the honest people. Think about how you look over at someones rig in the parking lot when their alarm is going off laughing at their misfortune, or wondering what crow or cat set it off. No one cares when an alarm is going off, including a thief.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Take it from a guy who had one of those systems:

Throw it away or sell it. They are nothing but a giant headache, high failure rate parts, and its not worth it to forget you left your truck in gear one day and watch it go driving off down the road while you /faceplam yourself from inside your warm house. Your truck should always be left in gear ANYWAYS when you are not in it.

You have to hack apart your factory wiring, and when that junk fails in a few years you will be tearing it back out. Alarms are completely useless. I can get around your fancy alarm in 3 seconds (they all install the EXACT same way) and steal your truck just the same.

Remember, alarms, Locks, Code, passwords, etc only keep out the honest people. Think about how you look over at someones rig in the parking lot when their alarm is going off laughing at their misfortune, or wondering what crow or cat set it off. No one cares when an alarm is going off, including a thief.

Thats a very good point. And 99.9% of the time i do leave my 4Runner in gear. Maybe i'll just sell it then...

My question about the factory fob is still unanswered though lol
Old 03-21-2011, 06:26 PM

I was considering putting in hidden EFI/fuel pump kill switches in and all those little do-dads and on top of that adding a whole bunch of 'fake' wiring to confuse the crap out of a would-be car jacker....

what if you hooked a key fob up to a handful of kill switches instead of the doors? maybe that would work well?? then the thief couldn't even see any 'hidden' switches....
Old 03-21-2011, 06:28 PM

I was considering putting in hidden EFI/fuel pump kill switches in and all those little do-dads and on top of that adding a whole bunch of 'fake' wiring to confuse the crap out of a would-be car jacker....

what if you hooked a key fob up to a handful of kill switches instead of the doors? maybe that would work well?? then the thief couldn't even see any 'hidden' switches....
Im not too worried about theft protection i just wanted a remote start lol
Old 03-21-2011, 08:55 PM

remote start = leaving it out of gear. so that would work 0.1% of the time for you, no?
ha, but seriously, if it's taking too long to get heat out of the little 22re, check your thermostat. i thought i would need remote start last winter, but it turned out my t-stat was stuck open. i replaced it, and it heated up in about 2-3 mins, no matter how cold it was outside
Old 03-21-2011, 10:01 PM

my taco takes about 4-5 minutes to come up to temp, my old 4runner takes about 1 minute and change, super fast! maybe too fast.....

remote start is nice though, for frosty mornings... just remember to leave the heater on with the defrost mode on the fan so your windshield is clear by the time you leave, heh heh....
Old 03-22-2011, 10:28 AM

my taco takes about 4-5 minutes to come up to temp, my old 4runner takes about 1 minute and change, super fast! maybe too fast.....

remote start is nice though, for frosty mornings... just remember to leave the heater on with the defrost mode on the fan so your windshield is clear by the time you leave, heh heh....

Thats what i do now lol and i was gonna put this in my 95 4runner not my 86 lol

Quick Reply: Few questions about alarm system