Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

Alarm w/ Autostart for MANUAL 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alarm w/ Autostart for MANUAL 4x4

Anyone install auto-start on there *manual 4x4 yet? If so, is there a write up?

Working with a rust free 92 4runner here in Minnesota; looking to equipt it with an Autopage C3-RS915.

Respectfully,
Ben

Last edited by BeenYota; 01-02-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:47 AM

It should be exactly the same as with an auto. You may have to loop a wire or two so it thinks you have an auto though. Since you aren't supposed to install these on manual transmissions. If you leave it in gear and try and start it, be ready for a hefty repair bill - for your truck and whatever your truck goes through.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:44 PM

This is predetermined with an intelligent alarm, gear link, accompanied by a mercury switch; eliminating possible casualties.

More curious to know if anyone has done a write up or has photos of their custom alarm install. Anyone with something clever or intelligent come forth; let’s see what some of you crafty masterminds have come up with.

Best,
Ben
Old 03-07-2010, 06:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had an audiovox remote start system in my truck for about 6 years or so. I don't know of any fool-proof way to safely do it, since there is no way to electronically detect a neutral condition. I have tried merc switches, proximity gate switch built from multiple alarm sensors that was unstalled at the base of shifter, optical sensor on driveshaft etc. Everything I could think of. Trust me, none of these are a safe option.

The only safe option is an alarm system that requires you to turn the vehicle off via the alarm remote after the vehicle has been locked via the transmitter. This assures that you left the vehicle in neutral. If the alarm is triggered, or the user attempts to remote start after unlocking the doors, then the remote start is disabled.

My alarm was supposed to have this feature, but after installing I realized it was a documented feature that was not actually built into the unit. I complained to audiovox and received a full refund for the system. SInce I already had the thing all wired in, I just left it.

FYI, I have had two incidents where it started in gear. The first was my fault, I left it in gear and started it into a parked car in front of me. This is not pretty. The second was the alarm transmitter was accidentaly set in temperature start mode which forces the vehicle to start at a certain temp. This time luckily, it was in my driveway and I keep a pretty big log in front on it for just an occasion.
The following users liked this post:
mholme (01-09-2021)
Old 03-07-2010, 05:52 PM

I can dig it

No qualms so far. For channels they integrated all 4 windows up/down jog with proximity cancel, the moon roof open/close jog, Rear Window, 12v aux switch for heat/cool under-liner chair back or whatever is plugged into the custom cluster, and lastly I-pod fed acc stereo. Watching the real time cabin temp change by controlling widows is a nice touch.

Haven't left the truck in gear and shut it off yet, however the autostart is disabled while in gear unless the clutch cancel is depressed or the clutch is held in, even trying to start the car when already started doesn't work; however someone would have to present to run that show. Appears bullet proof and well thought out.

All in all with the added convenience's I'll certainly put this in my next vehicles as well.

Thanks for the tips
Old 03-07-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by BeenYota
No qualms so far. For channels they integrated all 4 windows up/down jog with proximity cancel, the moon roof open/close jog, Rear Window, 12v aux switch for heat/cool under-liner chair back or whatever is plugged into the custom cluster, and lastly I-pod fed acc stereo. Watching the real time cabin temp change by controlling widows is a nice touch.

Haven't left the truck in gear and shut it off yet, however the autostart is disabled while in gear unless the clutch cancel is depressed or the clutch is held in, even trying to start the car when already started doesn't work; however someone would have to present to run that show. Appears bullet proof and well thought out.

All in all with the added convenience's I'll certainly put this in my next vehicles as well.

Thanks for the tips
How is the autostart disabled when in gear? There is no electronic way of detecting being in gear is there? Atleast there isn't on my 1988 R150 5 speed.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:32 AM

Auto-start cancelled if in gear

Not certain the exact method used here. Does your truck have a clutch cancel button on the dash? I have doubts a mechanical method was used. However, with the depth of my installer, I would'nt hold anything past him. I'm waiting for something to fail so I can call him. Until then it will be a mystery.

I went out and tried it quick. Here is what happens in order: From the drivers seat in 1st gear or in reverse I depress the auto-start on the remote. The sound chimes indicating auto-start has been prompted, followed by this all door locking and the lock icon appearing on the LCD (all windows normally close as well but for this test where closed). Shortly 2 beeps sound at the remote and the vehicle remains in armed status and does not start. If I hold the clutch and press autostart the vehicle starts but trying to slowly let off the clutch the vehicle shuts off, or if I hit the break and do not have the keys in the ignition in the on position the truck also shuts off.

Last edited by BeenYota; 03-08-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:13 PM

Yes, I do have a clutch cancel button. With mine I hooked the start signal from the alarm to the trigger from this button to engage the start sequence. But it has no way of detecting what gear or neutral, so it starts regardless. The only electronics coming from the trans is the switch for the reverse lights. If you could find out if they used a mechanical method, I would sure appreciate it.

Right now I have a manual toggle switch in-line as well as a safety precaution as well. When I exit the truck I have to turn this switch on after I put it in neutral, but this still relies on human interaction. when I get back in the next time after remote starting, I flip that switch off before driving so the next time I have to repeat sequence again, but this can be forgotten.

Thanks for the back and forth. I really would love to know how they are pulling this off.

Last edited by theMonch; 03-08-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:42 AM
EKJ

Hey guys I used the Dei 689m to do mine. It makes it 100% safe! It is a little bit of a pain because you have to go through a shut down process every time you want to remote start upon leaving the truck. But its better to be safe then sorry.

Last edited by EKJ; 04-02-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:20 PM

Thanks EKJ, that is exactly the device I have been looking for. My alarm/autostart was said to have this feature, but It apparently was in the manual and not actually programmed onto the chip. I think I'll pick one of these up.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:31 PM
EKJ

Glad I could help!