Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

Alarm questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alarm questions

I went to Best Buy today (they offered me the best price on installation + system - I'm not doing it myself) to look at their systems and ask questions and I was trying to decide between two Viper (DEI) units. one was pretty basic, had a one-way transmitter and your typical features such as:

3-channel security system with keyless entry
Clone-Safe Code-Hopping ensures no other remotes will work with your system
Parking light flash and bright blue status LED
Valet mode; Failsafe starter kill
Stinger DoubleGuard shock sensor
Revenger 6-tone siren
Dome light supervision; comfort closure
2 auxiliary outputs allow for additional remote devices (not included) to be installed
Includes two 3-way remotes

and is about $230 installed.

the other one I was looking at was a step up at $310 installed and included all of the above plus:

6 channels
on-board door lock relays (?)
retained accessory power
dome light supervision; comfort closure
horn honk
5 auxiliary outputs
1 led 2-way transceiver and 1 one-way

my question is: in all honesty, which of those two systems do I NEED? my dad doesnt seem to think i need the battery backup (which adds $25 to the price) or the motion sensor (which adds $30 to the price) as he's never had it. his rationality is if they know enough to unhook the battery without setting it off, they know enough to get my truck one way or another. im a poor college kid and im not looking to spend more than I have to, but i have to weigh my security against funds. any input?

also, what are the auxiliary inputs? i didnt see an optional battery backup or motion sensor listed for the cheaper one but it has 2 auxiliary ports...possibly for those two things?

thanks!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

Would be easier if i had the part numbers. i then could ask my brother. we use to until our buddy decided to early retire get all this stuff factory direct @ cost.

My first instinct is to go with the first one. If i remember correctly the outputs will be for window modules.

all an alarm is going to do i keep the honest honest. A pro or even a rank amateur will get what they want alarm or not. Now days it seems all an alarm does is allow you to start your car so its warmed up, and open the door locks when you get there, and for me roll up the windows when you leave

If you get me the model #'s i will run it by my bro and see what he thinks, since i only know a fraction of whats out there.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
thanks for the info, the more basic one is the DEI Viper 350HV and the step up is the DEI Viper 3201V