General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Wiper arms/adapters ans blades

Old 02-07-2014, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe I'm stupid. Replaced my wipers with some trico one piece units about 4 months back. They sucked. Left a big unwiped spot right center of my vision. Tried everything, still sucked. Wasn't too big a deal, as rain-x does most of the work for me. However, with all the snow we're getting right now, they REALLY sucked. Never been a big fan of one piece, blades, but these really suck. For me, anyway. So, today, went and picked up some standard style blades, and bam. Won't fit. With any combination of adapters. Wiper arm is to thick/wide to fit in the lock clip, so resorted to half-assing together the old wiper adapters and new blades. Sucks, because now when I lift the arms, the blades fall out. So, am I stupid, or what? Never had any issues getting blades or adapters that fit perfectly. Anybody have an issue like this? Or is trico just cheap ----? They work for now, but this is ridiculous. I feel dumb asking about wipers here, seems pretty basic.

Last edited by combatcarl; 02-07-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:55 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just what year wiper arms are you dealing with??

I have had the springs in the arms just sort of die from old age and no longer pull the wiper as tight to the windshield as they did in the younger days.

Just where are you trying to source wiper blades ??

I still like my wiper blades that attach by the 2 screws .

I had so much trouble with plastic adapters breaking in the cold very frustrating .

I do know there are no of those snow blades that will fit the older style wiper arm.

One idea you can change to the newer style wiper arms @ 2000 as that is what I have so I know they work.

I changed to these arms to use the snow blades as wiper blades come 5 to a box when I buy them I get 2 boxes.

No trouble getting blades for them.

Then sometimes companies drop the older vehicles not enough of a market

I am sure we can figure this out .
Old 02-08-2014, 05:33 AM

It's an 89, never swapped wiper arms. I get wipers wherever carries them. I currently have the screw on adapters that clip over the back of the blade, but they're both old enough they've failed and don't hold the blade when lifted. Guess I'll give up on the in-the-box adapters, I've found a few places that sell them online, now just a matter of buying the right ones?
What's the difference in the later style arms? Are they the hook type? I'll look 'em up, too. Should be slow enough day at work to do that.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:25 AM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
I recently bought the OEM wipers (screw type) and they seem to do a pretty good job. My old adapters didn't fit well and caused the wipers to chatter a lot. The new wipers fit well and just screw right to the wiper arm.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:49 AM

I've dug around and found some adapters, that screw on, turning it into a J hook type connection. It's weird. I never had any issues getting blades that fit. Last three times has been mix n match til a combination of old and new parts fit.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:53 AM

My lead here has a Tacoma, earlier model, has the arms with J hooks. Now I know what I'm after. Thanks, guys. Gotta see what a JY or part-out will cost me.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:33 AM

I use Trico Neoform blades on my truck and I love 'em. I wouldn't buy anything else.