General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

weird fuel gauge.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird fuel gauge.

My first gens fuel gauge has the voodoo. When it reads empty it only takes 4-5 gallons to be totally full (gas pouring outta nozzle).
Is there any known easy fix, or is this a prob that's not very common?
I had a bottle of seafoam free up a stuck fuel pump in an accura once. I was thinking about trying that to see if it may free up the sender (assuming it may be gummed up)
Old 02-15-2015, 12:42 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Most often the windings that the arm rides on to change resistance open causing that problem

Big dent in the fuel tank could cause this also.

Some people have rewound them but it takes more patience then I have to do it.

The sea foam can`t hurt .

Removing the sending unit can cause more problems broken fuel lines and other hardware .

I have been living with one like this for years just refuel by mileage about every 125miles.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Like Wyoming9 mentioned sometimes the wiper wears thru the windings on the fuel sending unit. I have been able to take the sending unit out and with PB Blaster and a brass tooth brush get the build up off of them and get them working.

I don't suggest running fuel cleaners thru the tank. When you have a bone dry tank, on the sides it will have fish like scaling that looks like rust. On the bottom of the tank I have seen it 1/4 in deep and will have veins like in a tree leaf or your fore arms. You will swear it is rust but I think it is chemical build up from the additives in the fuel. It looks like rust.

If you get a strong enough cleaner to break it up, you just ran it thru your filter, carb and fuel injectors. I did help a guy that clogged all his injectors doing that. I have cleaned several tanks and when cleaned, you wont see any pitting from rust.

On a truck tank, I have seen rust holes but it was from mud sitting on top of the tank. You don't say which 1st gen you have(runner/pickup), but still applies. Either way you will need to drop the tank. If you have a fuel injected truck, be very gentle with the metal line that is the supply line. It does not like to separate and that fuel pump assembly is expensive and can be hard to find.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Like Wyoming9 mentioned sometimes the wiper wears thru the windings on the fuel sending unit. I have been able to take the sending unit out and with PB Blaster and a brass tooth brush get the build up off of them and get them working.

I don't suggest running fuel cleaners thru the tank. When you have a bone dry tank, on the sides it will have fish like scaling that looks like rust. On the bottom of the tank I have seen it 1/4 in deep and will have veins like in a tree leaf or your fore arms. You will swear it is rust but I think it is chemical build up from the additives in the fuel. It looks like rust.

If you get a strong enough cleaner to break it up, you just ran it thru your filter, carb and fuel injectors. I did help a guy that clogged all his injectors doing that. I have cleaned several tanks and when cleaned, you wont see any pitting from rust.

On a truck tank, I have seen rust holes but it was from mud sitting on top of the tank. You don't say which 1st gen you have(runner/pickup), but still applies. Either way you will need to drop the tank. If you have a fuel injected truck, be very gentle with the metal line that is the supply line. It does not like to separate and that fuel pump assembly is expensive and can be hard to find.
First gen pickup. 1980

Does anybody sell the fuel gauge sending unit. If I'm gonna drop the tank I'd like to just have a replacement ready to go in.