General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Waterproofing '88 4runner interior

Old 10-20-2008, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waterproofing '88 4runner interior

I currently run my 4runner topless during much of the summer but would like to do it earlier and later in the year but to do that I need to waterproof the seats and floors. I am not amazingly worried about the dash as of yet as i keep the windows rolled up and we have very calm "rain."
I have experimented with thoughts of rino lining the bed and floor and making neoprene seat covers as cost is a major factor. I am not opposed to replacing the front seats as they are quite worn out but would appreciate ideas/advice if anyone has experience with doing this. Also, if i do end up making my own seat covers what is the best way to seal the seams?
thanks
dp
Old 10-20-2008, 07:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll be paying attention to this thread as I need to do the same thing. Nothing worse than getting into your rig and getting your rear end soaking wet from the seat.

A cheap plastic slip on seat cover would be nice. Something you could take off when the rain is over. Kind of like a raincoat for your seats. And then strip the carpet out and use a cheap rubberized undercoating on the floors.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:45 PM

new floor

since my last post ive done just that, stripped out the carpet and replaced it with 3ml rubber that i purchased from a manufacturer for 50 bucks shipped.
I have a couple pics if you want and if you're looking to do the same id be happy to post a run down of how i did it but as far as the seats go im still trying to get over the price of neoprene seats...till then i might have to do something more economical
Old 02-24-2009, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dirtpro06
I have a couple pics if you want and if you're looking to do the same id be happy to post a run down of how i did it
I would be very interested in seeing pics and details of what and how you did that.

I run with the top off and tube doors 90% of the time. Although it doesn't rain much here in AZ, the interior of my truck gets soo dirty soo fast. I have been thinking alot lately about doing something to make it easier to maintain like removing all the carpet and such so I can hose it out.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:37 PM

Yeah man bring on the pics, I was literaly thinking of doing this yesterday and now I'm reading your post's and REALLY hoping you post some pics. That sounds like something I'm really interested in doing as would alot of 1st Gen 4Runner owners. Great idea and gerat thread: subscribed, I want to see how you did it.

I'm also thinking about making new interior panels for the rear (cab back) of my truck. I'm thinking of using indoor/outdoor carpeting stretched over some type of poly-something instead of cardboard/tagboard like I belive the factory uses.

What do you do for security with the top off. I really think I might build a custom center console using a Tuffy box and I'm still hunting for a locking option for the glovebox. So what do you do short of having NOTHING in your rig?

Cheers

Dave
Old 02-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

build a soft top or buy one....
Old 02-26-2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Freak
Yeah man bring on the pics, I was literaly thinking of doing this yesterday and now I'm reading your post's and REALLY hoping you post some pics. That sounds like something I'm really interested in doing as would alot of 1st Gen 4Runner owners. Great idea and gerat thread: subscribed, I want to see how you did it.

I'm also thinking about making new interior panels for the rear (cab back) of my truck. I'm thinking of using indoor/outdoor carpeting stretched over some type of poly-something instead of cardboard/tagboard like I belive the factory uses.

What do you do for security with the top off. I really think I might build a custom center console using a Tuffy box and I'm still hunting for a locking option for the glovebox. So what do you do short of having NOTHING in your rig?

Cheers

Dave
over the summer when i had my top off, i just left the GPS at home and didnt worry about the radio and just made sure to park it in a safe place

i now have a cargo box in the back and i used some cable to secure it to the roll bar and it has a lock on it with all my tools in it and i supose i could leave some of the tools at home and put stuff i dont want stolen in there during the summer.

i also plan to get a tuffy locking center console evencualy
Old 02-26-2009, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by dirtpro06
since my last post ive done just that, stripped out the carpet and replaced it with 3ml rubber that i purchased from a manufacturer for 50 bucks shipped.
I have a couple pics if you want and if you're looking to do the same id be happy to post a run down of how i did it but as far as the seats go im still trying to get over the price of neoprene seats...till then i might have to do something more economical
Due tell, where's you get the rubber for the floors?

I need some as I have been thinking of this myself. Gotta link for it?

Thanks, Phil
Old 02-26-2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Freak

Cheers

Dave
Dave, post up what you find or do. I think we're all in the same boat with 1st Gen Runners. Somebody on here had someone make some metal panels for behind the rear seats (I think he's from around Sacramento or parts north of there). I'll have to search to find it.

Thanks, Phil
Old 02-26-2009, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by phildelfino
Due tell, where's you get the rubber for the floors?

I need some as I have been thinking of this myself. Gotta link for it?

Thanks, Phil
not sure about the rubber, but you can get vinyl Here
Old 03-03-2009, 06:32 PM

i purchased a 4x10 ft piece of rubber from rubbercal.com from their selection of seconds and surplus rubber...shipped for only 60 bucks!

as far as the process, i took out the seats, center console, and other pieces that held the carpet down and then stripped all the carpet out. Then i vacuumed rigorously and used the old carpet pieces as templates to cut the rubber. i cut the rubber pieces big and then trimmed them down to size after putting them in place. then i cut bolt holes and replaced the furniture.

in process of stripping out the carpet
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...c/840A0744.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...c/840A0743.jpg

truck gutted
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...c/840A0747.jpg

rubber installed
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...c/840A0756.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...c/840A0755.jpg

let me kno if u want more pics of how it turned out...the finished pics are with some 20 buck mats from walmart

Last edited by dirtpro06; 01-17-2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: updated image locations
Old 03-03-2009, 06:38 PM

wow, that looks nice

but, if you run it into enough water to go though the bottom of the doors, it will get under it and mold
i would have gone with bedliner, but thats just me
Old 03-03-2009, 09:57 PM

this is true, bedliner would have been a better choice for that application, but my major concern is rain and in order to make bedliner adhere correctly i would have had to sand down the entire floor and removed every patch of carpet liner and glue which would have taken alot more time.
As far as the mold goes, the pieces of rubber are removable and if it comes to it, i can take them out to dry out the truck. Also, the floor is painted so rust is really not a concern. I may bedline my interior sometime in the future but for now, the rubber is just fine

Last edited by dirtpro06; 03-03-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you do anything to seal it or prevent the moisture from causing rust under the non-permeable rubber? Do you have pics?
Old 01-08-2010, 05:55 AM

No, but the floor is not bare metal. It has a layer of what I assume to be primer over the entire surface, so I was not worried about rust, but more so just not having to worry about rotting out the carpet during the snowy season or water crossings.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:21 PM

http://content.glidesociety.com/imag...7-13b2910e6a6f soft topper the way to go !!!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 01:34 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Swerks, I love your rig. Your review of that softopper was the clincher for me getting one. Well, I guess wanting one longingly and the wife picked up on it and bought for me, but diff story for a diff day. I live in Washington guys, And kept everything dry. There were a couple gaps, most notably the rear corners, but it sits out far enough the rain stayed where it was supposed to. not bad for the price.

Name:  P5010069.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  129.5 KB

snap the sides in when the clouds turn.... waterproof!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:38 AM

Waterproofing truck interior

Great waterproofing info here; thanks for taking the time to post it.

It's good to see some of the options available. I wonder, though, if anyone has simply taken bedliner to their entire interior. My 84's interior is shot, and I've no interest in replacing all the clips and broken tabs and bull, so I want to Rhino-line the whole interior.

As mentioned, there will be a lot of sanding and scraping, but as I am building this truck to last me 12-15 years, I want to do this once only. I live where there's very low humidity, especially in 5 months of winter/200-400" of snow.

How much sound dampening is lost? Or does that matter when I have the luxury of spraying out the inside (thanks to neoprene seat covers and no electronics inside except for on the dash)? I think it can be done - it probably has.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:09 PM

Yes, if you are willing to put in the work i believe bedlining to be the most durable and longest lasting way to waterproof the floor.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:54 PM

not alot of pictures here? But what about the sound deadening stuff? do you guys take it out? If so How? I just stripped my interior today after being stuck for 3 hours last night and am trying to figure out how to waterproof the floor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Waterproofing '88 4runner interior