General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Toyota Maintenace Search Engine, Online FSM Manuals and Hunter Balancers

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 08:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by atl-evo
I agree. Is there somewhere I can go and just pay the $10 for the entire d/l? I dont have time to sit in front of the comp and d/l one page at a time.

Thanks,
Nope
Old 12-22-2004, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello from a newby .... I read this thread and thought I'd share a tip to make the downloading faster. Describing it will sound a lot more complicated than actually putting it to practice. It works with WinXP and Internet Explorer (I have no idea if it works for other OS's or browsers???), and it saved me a ˟˟˟˟˟load of time over the open/save/close routine of trying to save each and every file. Here's the deal: IE stores a copy of every picture and document you open with your browser in your "Temporary Internet Files" folder(s) with the file's original extension. So all you need to do is delete all of the files (actually just the PDF's) from your "Temporary Internet Files" folder just before or after you log on to the Toyota Techinfo Site, and from then on each file you open/close will automatically be stored in the Temp Files folder as PDF's. The original document names aren't always stored, but you can rename later at your leasure. I found it best to create folders of each section and sub-section of the manual so that I could move (not copy) the PDF's from the Temp Files folder to the appropriate Section folder as each section completed. To make moving easier, the files in your Temp Files folder can be sorted by extension so that you're only selecting and moving the PDF's. Then start on the next section on the Toyota Techinfo Site. Repeat until you get everything. It took me around an hour to get everything using this method. Disclaimer: This post assumes that the user knows their way around the WinXP file system and where your user temp files are stored (usually C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*) and how to safely search, move and delete files. Like I said, it sounds more complcated than it really is, but it will save time in the long run.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:54 PM

I am a web developer, and use the temp files folder for checking up on cached files I work on all the time. Can't believe I didn't think of this. :pat:
Old 01-09-2005, 08:01 AM

Anyone with Windows XP SP2 still having problems downloading the docs? If so, it probably has to do with the internet connection firewall & popup blocker. Is Toyota aware of this and do they offer any refund or alternate method of downloading docs?
Old 02-16-2005, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

Has anyone managed this downloading with SP2 installed? If so, how did you do it? I'm planning on doing it soon, but I'll spring for the actual manual if this isn't going to work for me with SP2.

Regards,
Joel
Old 02-17-2005, 06:38 AM

i can download with sp2. turm off all the pop up blocker and spam software and the hit the ctrl key when clicking on the file you want to open. you have to hold the ctrl key down until it opens. it will work.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:14 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I don't think you understand just how MANY pages the FSM contains....you would burn up a laminating machine...

When my wife saw my FSM when I took it out of the box she said "why did you buy a dictionary?"

About 3-4 inches thick...

3.5" thick to be exact, comprising of some 2+ reams of paper(if formatted for front & back printing), 3 black ink cartridges, & several hours of your time & you too can be the proud owner of a 10-lb., FSM hardcopy baby!!

congratulations!

-f-
Old 04-09-2005, 11:28 PM

instead of downloading and printing has anyone tried to download it and burn to cd? Make your own digital copy and save a tree.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:10 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by oilguy3
instead of downloading and printing has anyone tried to download it and burn to cd? Make your own digital copy and save a tree.
I have both...but the tree is easier to work w/ when your hands are greasy and you are under the rig ya tree hugger.

Old 04-12-2005, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I have both...but the tree is easier to work w/ when your hands are greasy and you are under the rig ya tree hugger.

Or just print out the section you're going to use and take it out to the garage with you. When finished, throw the whole greasy mess away. Get a clean fresh copy each time out.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:56 PM

My local Toyota dealership gave me a number (800-622-2033) to order the manual for my '97 T100. Cost was $118.74 plus shipping. Have any of you found a hard copy price better than this?

That online download is looking better and better; but I have Windows 2000 and a direct dial up connection; so don't particularly want to do it from this machine.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:33 PM

Yes, last night I downloaded bunches of stuff with SP2 installed. All I did was turn off the pop-up blocker. As I couldn't find where my temporary internet files were I just saved each .pdf downloaded and gave it a name. Took maybe four hours to download most all I could ever want.

Oh yes, the machine I used was a WinXp machine with a cable modem (post prior to this one mentioned my machine had Windows 2000 and a direct dial-up)

Last edited by n74tg; 04-20-2005 at 05:35 PM. Reason: want to add more
Old 04-24-2005, 11:29 AM

I have a 98 T4R but I only see 99 FSM on CD on Ebay. Is the 99 and 98 FSM the same? If so, I will buy the 99 FSM. Thanks.

Kev
Old 06-09-2005, 08:31 AM

The link to the Haweka/Hunter locator page is not valid. Try this address: www.gsp9700.com
Old 11-18-2005, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lowlead
Hello from a newby .... I read this thread and thought I'd share a tip to make the downloading faster. Describing it will sound a lot more complicated than actually putting it to practice. It works with WinXP and Internet Explorer (I have no idea if it works for other OS's or browsers???), and it saved me a ˟˟˟˟˟load of time over the open/save/close routine of trying to save each and every file. Here's the deal: IE stores a copy of every picture and document you open with your browser in your "Temporary Internet Files" folder(s) with the file's original extension. So all you need to do is delete all of the files (actually just the PDF's) from your "Temporary Internet Files" folder just before or after you log on to the Toyota Techinfo Site, and from then on each file you open/close will automatically be stored in the Temp Files folder as PDF's. The original document names aren't always stored, but you can rename later at your leasure. I found it best to create folders of each section and sub-section of the manual so that I could move (not copy) the PDF's from the Temp Files folder to the appropriate Section folder as each section completed. To make moving easier, the files in your Temp Files folder can be sorted by extension so that you're only selecting and moving the PDF's. Then start on the next section on the Toyota Techinfo Site. Repeat until you get everything. It took me around an hour to get everything using this method. Disclaimer: This post assumes that the user knows their way around the WinXP file system and where your user temp files are stored (usually C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*) and how to safely search, move and delete files. Like I said, it sounds more complcated than it really is, but it will save time in the long run.
I tried your idea, but it does not work at this particular web site. Reason: many of the PDF documents have the same name and so they just overwrite the earlier downloads. I discovered it the hard way! I finally had to give a name to each document during download, or put them in different directories. After 10hrs I managed to get all ! Now that's worth $2500.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Banned

does anyone know if this site provides a list of part numbers for everything? i downloaded all the electrical diagrams not too long ago, but does it have part number lists?
Old 11-23-2005, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rishi
I tried your idea, but it does not work at this particular web site. Reason: many of the PDF documents have the same name and so they just overwrite the earlier downloads. I discovered it the hard way! I finally had to give a name to each document during download, or put them in different directories. After 10hrs I managed to get all ! Now that's worth $2500.
Took me about that long as well.
I first tried just renaming the files 1, 2, 3, etc thinking I could save time, but what a PITA that was renaming them all after the fact. :pat:

Finally got some efficiency by copying root name of the file for each section, and pasting in as the new name and adding/modifying the extension.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Banned

I got all the stuff for my 85 4Runner in about 15 seconds...I bought a complete FSM on Ebay. Do yourself a favor and save the time and just get an FSM. I then found a electronic copy elsewhere for FREE. So now I have both and I have a lot less time in it than 10 hours. I can print out what I want or heck I can photocopy straight out of the FSM. If you are going to work on your rig regularly, stop being a tightwad and just get a OEM FSM.

Old 11-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Banned

do FSMs include part numbers for everything?
Old 11-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Banned

FSM shows you how to assemble/disassemble, maintenance, etc. OEM dealer/parts dealer have the part numbers, but you can get the names of things by the diagrams and get a good picture of what you need so you can intelligently ask the dealer FOR the part number or your local auto parts store. Heck, I can photocopy the diagram and take it with me to show them and make sure I get the right stuff.

Quick Reply: Toyota Maintenace Search Engine, Online FSM Manuals and Hunter Balancers